Badger5Chris Nott

Thread: A3 Handling !!

Black-Out A3

Status

Question A3 Handling !!

Hi ,
    I'm having trouble with my A3's handling, I've got 18" wheels with quite wide tyres.
    But the back-end is really 'twitchy' and always steps out, even when not taking corners that quickly, as for driving in the wet, it is lethal!

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Assuming she is 2WD then i would look at tyre pressures/condition , Shock/spring condition and finaly the one that fixed my car after doing all of the above the axle bushes, about 25 a side to buy and a 7/10 DIY depending how handy you are and what tools you have available

1st Gear

Status
    Did you get the tyres free with a set of new alloys? If you did bin them because i did the same and after putting some avon zz3's on it handles amazing now.
    The light that burns twice as bright , burns half as long.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    What tyres are you running, maybe its the tyres that are your problem, I have Eagle F1 GSD3s and they are bang on!!!

Steady Eddy

Status
    agreed,

nine times out of 10 its either smartprice shoes or pressure, check the tread on the whole width of the tyre too, if thats all good gota be the bushings

Neutral

Status
    Also what alloys, what size and width of tyre. Could have wrong size tyres, wrong off-set, etc etc all go to making the rear end feel twitchy.

Also, enw tyres can feel like that for a few hundred miles.

I put RE050As on the R32 a few years ago and it felt like the rear was wiggling behind me all the time, even on dead straight road. It settled down after abut 200miles but it wasn't nice and I did think of ditching the tyres!

A3 1.8T Quattro (2001 | Y) - Black, 5DR, Full Leather, Recaros, Climate, CD, Elec Everything, TT Alloys
    BMW 320 MSport Touring (2007 | 57) - Le Mans Blue, 18" MV3s, PDC, Cruise, CAR