Steering rack leak

rossbrownlee

Ross_S4
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
why not just replace the boot & grease instead of chancing on these products as according to etka you can get these parts without the need for a new rack, based on an 01 8L

Because there shouldn't be any fluid leaking there, meaning it is from the rack, not the boot. even if i do replace the boot it does not solve the leak.
Maybe should have mentioned it is PAS fluid leaking, not grease, suggests a leaking seal in the steering rack does it not?

As you say, should of been more specific about the fault as you mentioned the boot, not PAS fluid.

Well you can try that product but I'm thinking rack out to fix anything anyway given you'd have to replace some seal etc, so maybe look for a new rack & given age of car I sold a brand new rack ages ago for £50 so you might get lucky on the bay, but take heed there are different racks for the 8L's so check part numbers thoroughly for your car, quick call to parts department with vin will get that answered within 2 minutes.

Because there shouldn't be any fluid leaking there, meaning it is from the rack, not the boot. even if i do replace the boot it does not solve the leak.
Maybe should have mentioned it is PAS fluid leaking, not grease, suggests a leaking seal in the steering rack does it not?

Sadly you are right, no oil/PAS fluid shoul be in the gaiter anyway. Cleaning it will prob pass MOT as it's as seen on the day.

I have seen the Lucus stuff udes on an A4, and it made no difference at all, still replaced it, but £12 lighter or whatever it was.

Cheers Mark.
I was going to give it a go with having nothing to lose...
Found a rack online for £197 which sounds not too bad but haven't found out yet if it is just a 2nd hand or a refurb'd item.