Road Tax costs !

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Right...
it may have been covered before BUT, just had to race home to check, I was basicaly told by somebody who is looking for a TT that BAM 225 TTs are over £400 a year to tax !
So... with mine being more or less the same car i was shi?$ing myself. After looking on a few web sites to find out whats what i think ive sorted it... mines a 2001 S3 so... its £215 for 12 months?
Surely aTT would be the same??

You are right, this has been done to death!!

Righty... go here...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_172916

Read the bit headed 'What about already registered cars?'... essentially cars that fall into the 225g/km to 255g/km are technically Band L however, if you read further, cars registered BEFORE 23rd March 2006 and are over 225g/km (which TT's/S3's with a 225 BAM engine are) fall back into Band K which after April 2010 to April 2011 will cost £245 for the year

<tuffty/>

I did see that sir.
I tried the search box... ive been having a few problems with it to be fair... it froze up on me.

The log book says 223g/kg

Anyway... im glad things havent changed much
Ive seen a few people on here say that pre face lifts are "tax dodgers"

If your car was registered before March 2001 then you will be paying the fixed amount which will be £205 from next year, after that you are on the banded scheme. My AMK S3 (210bhp) states 223g/km... I was under the impression that BAM engined cars were 226g/km

Either way, any S3/TT registered after March 2001 but before 23rd March 2006 will be Band K going forward...

...according to the official website anyways

<tuffty/>

i was pooing myself to..feels better now. it looked like it was starting from 226 up was £410, but 225 down was £230, around that price. as mines 226 !

i was under the impression from the original thread that from 2010 we will be paying over £400 for tax for cars registered after March 2001...... 2010 being because they held off for 2 more years before the changes

Just read through the info on the link I posted and it doesn't suggest anything other than cars over 225g/km registered between march 2001 and march 2006 are in band K.

There maybe some other info relating to this elsewhere...

Who knows what our beloved government has in store for us beyond 2010, whatever it is it will more than likely hit the average motorist harder than it needs too... they are already talking about having MOT stations declare any modifications they find on your car so they go on the DVLA database which then can be cross referenced by insurance companies and I suppose check to see if you have declared any of the mods they find... All coming from the EU it would seem... everything over there needs to be TUV approved to be fitted to a car IIRC..

Looks like they are gonna end up killing the tuning market at this rate and for what???

<tuffty/>

i would love to see what mods the average MOT guy is able to spot/not spot. How can they tell a hybrid turbo, a custom map etc, idiots....