Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

288mm -> 312mm - whats required

I've read a few threads on brake upgrades but they seem to follow a simlar theme in either replacing the 288mm wil something altogether better, ir Brembo or using W3 / TT brakes.

Is the 312mm route a csea of disks, pads and carriers or do you need te caliper as well. I kow that many vag cars share the same calipers but have different size disks and ist the carriers that need changing?

I have a 1.8 TQ (180) and 288mm isn't enough when hard braking. Had 288mm on the wee Fabi vRS and that was just about bareable.

I'm not planning on going mreo than the std 180hp so I think 312mm should be fine just need something better than the medioce brakes it has just now (my 177hp 320d has mahoosive brakes by comparison and stops so much better).

Any advice is welcome.

A3 1.8T Quattro (2001 | Y) - Black, 5DR, Full Leather, Recaros, Climate, CD, Elec Everything, TT Alloys
    BMW 320 MSport Touring (2007 | 57) - Le Mans Blue, 18" MV3s, PDC, Cruise, CAR

2. # ADS
    ADS

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    you need 312mm carriers and 312mm discs.

everything else is the same.

I have a set of carriers and almost new OEM discs for sale if you are interested. They are from a TT
    ^^ In my opinion

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    ^^ In my opinion

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by abdus View Post
    you need 312mm carriers and 312mm discs.

everything else is the same.

I have a set of carriers and almost new OEM discs for sale if you are interested. They are from a TT

Thanks, so pads are the same as well?

A3 1.8T Quattro (2001 | Y) - Black, 5DR, Full Leather, Recaros, Climate, CD, Elec Everything, TT Alloys

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    yep
    ^^ In my opinion

5th Gear

Status
    I havnt noticed any improvements yet, if im honest though, think because there new, they just seem the same?
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    use them properly
    ^^ In my opinion

5th Gear

Status
    i have, werll when they was 50 miles in. you saying though, if you drive normally then you dont need them. as using them properley means braking hard?

Neutral

Status
    I think my brakes could do with new fluid and lines. I had 288mm on the GT TDI 4MO (Mk5) and they were the worst brakes I've ever had. Even my old 80 TDi with Solid disks at the front were better.

I just think that 180hp and the extra weight of the 4WD warrants 312mm, TT gets 312mm on the 180hp model and its essentially the same car so why not the 1.8 TQ.

Anyway, thanks for the info time to plan what I need to do.

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emery1990 View Post
    i have, werll when they was 50 miles in. you saying though, if you drive normally then you dont need them. as using them properley means braking hard?
    yeah...lol.

I think you will notice the difference then

Normal driving will just be the same
    ^^ In my opinion

5th Gear

Status
    ahh i seee
    i did notice them being better tonight

6+1 Gears

Status
    You can notice the difference after 150-200 miles. Do not force them immediately. When I've changed my disks and pads, I also changed the fluid which was old (+4 years). It is recommended to change it every 2 years because in time it looses its properties.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

5th Gear

Status
    thats what i was thinking of doing, is it true you can just use water and anti freeze? or has brake fluid got a special property, i say this because in my bike days, with the hydraulic brakes, people used to re bleed them with water. i doubt itll be ok for cars though tbh.

Smell my finger.

Status
    thats what i was thinking of doing, is it true you can just use water and anti freeze? or has brake fluid got a special property, i say this because in my bike days, with the hydraulic brakes, people used to re bleed them with water. i doubt itll be ok for cars though tbh.

DO NOT DO THAT.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

S3 Drift King!

Status
    The idea of bleeding the brakes is to get the air out of the system, when you boil water, what happens? It bubbles away and creates air! Brake fluid obviously doesn't boil at the same temperature as water, so I' would avoid using it as a brake fluid substitute, or you may find yourself parked in a field somewhere soon!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

5th Gear

Status
    Blonde moment, bikes brakes dont get hot!!

Smell my finger.

Status
    Blonde moment, bikes brakes dont get hot!!

If you're on about mountain bike brakes it was a fad....nothing more. It was a load of rubbish too, when I was racing D/H I stuck with brake fluid...as thats designed for brakes!. Waters best used for making tea...not stopping things

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Waters best used for making tea...not stopping things
    T
    LMAO

In theroy you could use pretty much any liquid if you really wanted, as long as it's not carbonated,lol

Brake fluid is hardly expensive so change it, it will give you a better upgrade in feel than the discs/pads did