JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Don't shout at me but this is about oil.....again

I have had a mooch through most of this forum and the only threads I can find about engine oils are for S3's or turbos (What is the recomended engine oil for S3 please ). Unfortunately mine is only a 1.6i and it's done 82,000 miles.

I owned it for a week and the plastic dipstick guide was broken when I got it so having replaced it for a grand total of 2.07 I then checked the oil as there is a fine spray all over my engine. The dipstick was dry, I've put a litre of shell helix 10-40 fs in and that bought it up to the minimum mark but having driven it in the rain before I relised the guide was broken there is now water in the oil so I will change the oil and filter.

The question I have is the shell helix oil overkill or spot on? Or is there a better suited oil for this model?

Cheers for any help

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Davsurfa View Post
    The question I have is the shell helix oil overkill or spot on? Or is there a better suited oil for this model?

Cheers for any help
    What I would do is get in touch with Opie Oils (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/) and then let us know what they say. I know these guys from other forums and they really know their oil, and offer honest advice.

This link: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/products-f...ils-for-my-car shows you recommendations by engine.

Generall I think the advice on oil is that the more you spend the better you protect your engine. A synthetic oil is not synthetic unless it is an 'ester synthetic' because anything else is likely a blend of natural oil and chemically process oil.

Hope this helps a little
    '03 A3 1.8T Quattro Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Sweet, cheers bud, I'm having a mooch through their site now. It would appear that the Shell Helix is good enough but when I come to do the change I'll use Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 ss. Jobs a good 'un

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Sorted

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Castrol Magnatec 10w 40, I have always used that and use that now in the S3 too, works fine for me