What power steering fluid?

danny_s3

Reaction score
the steering has gone heavy on my 2001 s3 and before i look in to getting a power steering pump im going to check and top up my power steering fluid 1st if need be.what fluid should i get, many thanks dan.

You need VAG Powersteering mineral oil or something like that, if you mix it with normal power steering fluid, then it will knacker your power steering pump in the long run.

You need to use VAG specific power steering fluid mate to ensure the seals in the system are not damaged. Unfortunately its only available from VAG dealers however the good news is its not much if any more expensive than standard power sterring fluid.

It's not an VAG dealer only fluid, I got some from my local motors fators for £7 a litre.

It's not an VAG dealer only fluid, I got some from my local motors fators for £7 a litre.
You better get it from the dealer as it only cost 7 quid ! I have seen a few cars with damaged PAS seals due to impropper oil used... and if you consider than on most VAG car changing the PAS is an engine out job due to lack of room then its wise to use the righ stuff.

Get it from main dealers, its not expensive and you know you are getting the genuine article from there....if i remember correctly, it costs less than a tenner for your piece of mind

where do you top it up from?

Its in the engine bay, believe its in the top left hand corner if you are looking at the engine...Could be wrong though, will have to check tomorrow for you.

thanks for the replys, i got it from my mate who works for bedford audi,
it made no differnce ,steering is still heavy, brought my self a second hand pump ,hope this sorts it when fitted next week