Cat killed my bumper

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Bit of a mixed week for me up to yet, on thursday the clutch pedal snapped on the way to see U2, no problem really got it sorted, saw the gig and had a great time.

The gig was that good that we bought 3 more tickets for U2 at Cardiff on Saturday night (my friend e-bay), after a nightmare getting out of Cardiff we was travelling back down the M42 at about 4am sunday morning, doing about 80ish when out of nowhere a cat walked in front of the car :sadlike:

There was such an almighty bang, so i stopped to check the damage, both front fog light grills were missing, os fog light missing, splitter under the car totally mangled, middle lower grill hanging off, god i could have cried :(

After closer inspection sunday afternoon after a good sleep i now need both lower grills, os fog light was still there but pushed up to the SMIC and the 2 screw lugs snapped off and the locating pin snapped off, os corner of the bumper now has a crease in it where it lines in with the front wing although its not too bad but i know its there.

Rang audi today and the parts total £450 give or take a bit, have checked ebay for somene breaking one but no joy, so if anyone has any spare parts i need please pm me. If the flaming cat had a collar with an address i'd have been knocking the owners up early sunday morning to show them my car, god i was so pi**ed off about it but kept it in nicely as the missus and her sister were pretty shook up by it.

Apologies for the bit of a rant but it feels good to let it out a bit.

Feel bad for you, its never nice to kill an animal, and I hope you get it all fixed without to much expense..
Shame the cat picked the wrong time to walk out into your path,

RIP poor little thing :crying:

NOOOOOO ....did the cat die?:blownose:
Ha i feel bad for your car though!
What was a cat doing playing on the motorway!?

Mate of mine just did the same thing with his clio a few weeks back, but it was a fox that ran out and attacked his poor bumper. He managed to get a bumper from a scrappy (and some free foglights too) but I get the feeling an S3 bumper will be harder to get hold of.

NOOOOOO ....did the cat die? :blownose:

Yes unfortunatly, a ton and a half travelling at that speed against a cat, only one outcome IMO. Not very nice moving it from the carriageway to the grass verge though :(

Yes unfortunatly, a ton and a half travelling at that speed against a cat, only one outcome IMO. Not very nice moving it from the carriageway to the grass verge though :(

I bet it was horrible, did you have a shovel. Remember hitting a badger once, that made a mess of the front end, and i was only doing about 50.

Also 4am, Motorway, 80mph... bit of a conservative figure, no?

No not really, i'm not a gung ho flat out driver anyway, especially on an unlit stretch of M way in pitch black darkness. There is a time and place for stretching the cars legs a bit but this was not the time or place, its best saved for track days IMO.

Just read your first post again.... knocking on the owners to show them your car... or to show them bits of their cat! :bye:

I bet it was horrible, did you have a shovel. Remember hitting a badger once, that made a mess of the front end, and i was only doing about 50.

I used an old piece of carpet which normally lines the boot floor, because of what time it was and how many cars were about i thought it best to try and move it so it doesnt cause another accident, although when the missus saw it she was really upset.
On the bright side at least no one else was injured.

Nightmare mate.

I took out a cat a few years ago at 70mph and it made a right old mess of my car.

One thing to gain from it is that the cat wont have known what was happening so it didnt suffer.

This is very true, and hopefully youl have your car fixed soon for not too much money! what about getting a new fog light from someone who has done a fmic?
or a scrappy, remember i wanted a part i e-mailed allaudiac i think it was and they seemed to have a good price, didnt actually buy it in the end but worth a try.

Just read your first post again.... knocking on the owners to show them your car... or to show them bits of their cat! :bye:

Yes of course to show them my car, if it happened to you and lets say you know who the animals owner was and at the time you was pretty annoyed about it how would you have handled it?
Of course i feel sorry for the cat, but IMO maybe slightly innapropriate of the owner letting it wander about at night with a Mway nearby.

Nightmare mate.

I took out a cat a few years ago at 70mph and it made a right old mess of my car.

One thing to gain from it is that the cat wont have known what was happening so it didnt suffer.

It was quite surreal, it happened so fast yet seemed so slow if you know what i mean, it just seemed to appear and stand lookng at the car.

Yes of course to show them my car, if it happened to you and lets say you know who the animals owner was and at the time you was pretty annoyed about it how would you have handled it?
Of course i feel sorry for the cat, but IMO maybe slightly innapropriate of the owner letting it wander about at night with a Mway nearby.

I would be very annoyed indeed, these cars are not cheap to fix. And im not an animal rights weirdo before you ask, i was just suggesting had you gone round to them you may have wanted to take there cat back to them at the same time. (or sugested that they to go and play in the motorway, and see if they can find it, .... i dont know how mad you were)

(yes i have gone on for ages, sorry, im trying to avoid revising for an exam tomorrow)

You cant control a cat 24-7 sadly, its not like a dog. A lot of cats do go out on the town at night when its owners are in bed.

IMO if someone returned my cat to my front door, which they had just ran over (being the cats fault or not) I think the damage to the car would be the least of your worry's.

My misses would return the favour and try and kill you on the front doorstep, :eek:(

Sorry to hear about that mate. Nightmare...I hit some thing back in March left a lovely dent in my bumper and fog surround missing. Hope you get it sorted soon mate. An d at least the cat probably died straight away. Sen cats get hit and there still alive was terrible. Yeah Cardiff was too busy saturday night!

I feel for you, i really do. However i have to say if you turned up demanding damages to your car, i would not want to be in your shoes when the mrs started GULP !!

Anyway vet fees are more expensive than car bits, and TBH it could just have easily been a stray or a badger.
A badger is solid enough to royaly write your car off

Did you really stop on the M42 after tangling with a cat...?

Flipping heck, even at 4am, motorways aren't places you should be scraping up roadkill or you could end up like the cat!

Better to slow down, check car steers and brakes ok, keep eye on temp and oil pressure, and come off at next junction to inspect damage.

As for parts, try TPS, trade parts services.

Got 3 cats & always worry about this kind of thing, luckily not on main road, shame & I would hazard it was a stray, real shame.