Tyres, tyres, tyres

Leddy

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I have available to myself a set of RSTT's (18x8) rims only and was looking for some advice on suitable tyres.

looking for dry weather, public road performance for my 2WD 1.8T.

I don't want to go crazy on the price but i don't want budget tyres either.

I guess i am just looking for opinions on what you may be running.

Hi Leddy,

Have a look at www.mytyres.co.uk as their prices are excellent and include postage (although I would check if you need to pay extra for the Channel Islands)

I always found Toyo Proxes pretty good especially at the price. A lot of guys here seem to like the Bridgestones and Goodyear F1s (I think). My wife has Bridgestone S02s on her Golf 3 TDi (chipped!) and they have been fab but they are hard to get in the right size - hers are only 195/50/15s.

That site also has some test info to help you gauge grip, wear etc.

HTH

Pilot sports are good and durable for everyday use, F1s are the business in the wet although I have heard story's of the walls being soft (haven't had any trouble with mine yet), some of the toyo tyres are good for the money also.

Got pilot sports on my A3 at the moment and I think they're awful. Car badly understeers and gettin away from a standing start quickly is a joke. (Had them on my MX3 before and they were really good). RichA3Turbo raves about the Toyo Proxies and once I've worn the pilots down ( which won't take long considering the amount of wheel spin I get) I'll be giving them a try.

My best mate has got a set of Yokohama Parada Spec 2 on his TT, and he reckons they're the grippest tyres he's ever had (he owns a well know tuning comp!)

When i looked at them in the shop, i have to admit they're the softest feeling tyres i've ever seen (apart fron Advan slicks!)

He also says there just as good in the wet!

Hi Leddy, which island are you from? Im from Jersey.

The Proxes are good for the price, F1's are pretty steep but are the best around at the moment

Thanks for the info,

I am also concerned about wear rates too, at the price of decent 18" tyres you dont want them dissapearing too quickly!

MattT, I am in Guernsey.

I use Toyo Proxies T1-S on all my cars. They give excellent grip in the wet and dry.. Used to have the bridgestone SO-2 before.. Found the Toyo' to be better and cheaper..

I get them from Elites in Rainham Essex, they do them at a good price.. Number is +441708 525577

Pal

Had a look through mytyres, seems very reputable. Comparing "Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45 17" to my local costco;

Costco fitted £114.
(30 min wait)

or

Mytyres £105 + £10 local fitter (recomended by mytyres).
(delivery wait, then transport to fitters...)

Anyone running Pilot Sports? Any good?

I shall be investing in a set of Toyo R888's (road legal track tires) for my A3 shortly and just swap between these and the T1-S's for the road. The R888's are pretty much slick apart from a few grooves...Look cool and will be excellent for the track.

Rich

A little put off the Pilot Sports as I have Pilot Premacy's at the moment and they are garbage. Are the pilot sport much different to the Premacy?

Ive just fitted four brand new Pirelli Pzeros to my S3 and they are fantastic.

Massive improvement over the standard bridgstones. Much better grip, the ride has vastly improved and the road noise has decreased quite a lot.

Ive read that they dont last too long though but since I only paid £55 each /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif im not that bothered!

I think I'm swaying towards a set of eagles, £89 each on mytyres. If Pilot's arn't too good, and an number of you guys recommending goodyear.

Plus they are the best looking tread pattern! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep I would go for F1's!

Whatever you do - DONT BUY AVONS ZZ1's

They are the worst tyre I have ever used! Absolute S**T. I only had them as they came with my wheelies!

Rich.

everyone has a favourite

grippiest in the dry AND wet include bridgestone s03 (so2 was much better), goodyear f1 gsd3 and michelin pilot sport 2 (sp2). all have reasonable life, and out of the 3 the goodyear are by far the cheapest.

the toyos etc are no better than these 3 above, but probably less life in them and not as good in the wet, so overall probably a worse deal.

the michelin are the most expensive by far, although they may last a bit longer.

pirelli pzero rosso (several types) are some way behind, and the zero nero are nowhere near as good.