Turbo problem, Help ASAP

S3 ABV

Reaction score
Hi all need some help, before i was driving on a side street and somebody puled out on me causing me to skid putting the abs on. On pulling off after stopping the ESP light comes and stays on, then the turbo nolonger works.............I haven't driven it hard nor taken it over 5k rev's?

I can hear the turbo whistle but doesn't give any noticable power at all through the rev range!!!

Hass anybody heard or had a problem like this? The ESP ligh is now off but still no turbo?

What a **** day to start new ownership!

Get it VAGCOM'd, sounds like hard limp to me and you are running on actuator pressure.

Sounds like 'a sensor' has thrown a wobbler but not gonna be able to tell which one until you get the fault codes checked.

<tuffty/>

Cheers mate for the reply. but whats vagcom??

Should i take it audi................

Does this sound normal?

After starting the car and turning the engine off there is a sort of hissing noise from the front of the engine. The sound is like an electrical hissins noise and lasts for a few minitues after the engine is off.

The noise is from the very top of the engine bay near altornator/radiator...........

Thanks.

Cheers mate for the reply. but whats vagcom??

Should i take it audi................

VAGCOM is a bit of third party software that does more or less what the Audi diagnostics software does. It will help you look at fault codes and diagnose problems. You can buy the full version but that will cost just over £200, use the older shareware version with a lead from ebay (total cost about a tenner) or see if any members with VAGCOM live near you and are willing to help.

You can of course take it to Audi but they will not be cheap. Most independent garages should be able to look at your fault codes more cheaply.

Does this sound normal?

After starting the car and turning the engine off there is a sort of hissing noise from the front of the engine. The sound is like an electrical hissins noise and lasts for a few minitues after the engine is off.

The noise is from the very top of the engine bay near altornator/radiator...........

Thanks.

That sounds like the after run pump and is normal... its circulates coolant to help prevent the turbo from cooking itself after a run. You will still want to drive off boost and/or leave the engine idling for a few mins before switching off the engine anyway as this will help prolong the life of your turbo.

<tuffty/>

I have checked underneith the car to look for split pipes ect....and carn't find anything that i can see?

The turbo is deffo spinning as i can hear it whilst driving. The car starts drives fine but just have no boost! Whats the best thing to check or should i just get it booked into a garage.......

The elderly guy who i bought the car from, bought it from new and said he had never taken it over 3.5k revs (from what he can remember) for the 9 years of ownership. Could this of damaged the turbo?

Gonna have to get it on some kind of diagnosis kit mate, these engines are governed by electronics, only way to check that is to check for fault codes.

Physical/visual checks should consist of split vacuum pipes and loose boost hoses.

Also check the N75 valve is connected and there are no splits in the connecting hoses. The DV may have a split diaphragm if its an OEM one but should be ok if its a Forge...

Check the pipe going to the turbo actuator..... and get VAGCOM or similar connected :)

<tuffty/>

Where are you located?
Somebody off here with vag com maybe able to help you out...

I have checked underneith the car to look for split pipes ect....and carn't find anything that i can see?

The turbo is deffo spinning as i can hear it whilst driving. The car starts drives fine but just have no boost! Whats the best thing to check or should i just get it booked into a garage.......

The elderly guy who i bought the car from, bought it from new and said he had never taken it over 3.5k revs (from what he can remember) for the 9 years of ownership. Could this of damaged the turbo?

You have asked several times what you need to do, and each time have been advised to get it diagnosed either with a local member with Vagcom ( 3rd party diag software) or from a dealer. This will highlight the faulty sender, or reset it so you are out of limp mode. Limp mode is a get you home mode with little or no boost, the engine electronics do it to prevent possible damage until the offending fault has been read and cleared.

Why would it be in limp mode tho?? I just drove off then lost all boost!

The car is now in a garage and is being checked over tomorrow for split pipes ect......just hoping the turbo isn't broke.

There are no lights on the dash ect....