My first S3. advice nedeed........

S3 ABV

Reaction score
Hi all....

After many weeks of searching for a good one i have finaly bought one. Picked it up on friday and i absoultly love it, it has everything, feels so refined and well built!

It's a 2000 S3 quattro imported from germany, 1 owner from new, 80k full fash, serviced last week, cambelt done at 65k, 12 month mot and tax, private S3 plate included, full leather, heated seats, bose sound system, cruise controll, parking sensors, climate, 6 cd changer and so on...........

The car it's self is in beautifull condition, it doesn't even look like it's ever been sat in! It was bought from an elderly guy who had just retired and he said he had never taken it above 3.5k rev's ever!

The whole car feels so tight you can just tell it's been really looked after ect......all it needs is 2 tyres!

Few pic's

newcuppics611.jpg

newcuppics610.jpg

newcuppics615.jpg

newcuppics614.jpg

newcuppics613.jpg

I could just do with some advise on how i should be driving it? i'm use to high revving NA cars and have never driven a turbo car untill this one!

What's the best rev range for best performance? 2.8k to 3.5k seems very torquey but seems flat at 4k, i'm finding 4-5.5k better or is that too high for the turbo???? please help!

Thanks, Kev.

Welcome to the site mate. Very tidy s3 for its age.
With regards to driving it you need to allow the engine to warm up before coming on boost really so dont rag it until the temp's at 90 and even then take it steady for 10 mins, also when yoiur coming towards the end of a journey try to come off boost for the last 5 mins to allow the engine to cool down.
The power band is meant tobe between 2.5-5.8k, thats the best arear to keep in to keep on boost and keep the torque there but in my car (think mines just an exception) the power and torques there up until the redline but youll have to drive yours and see but as a guide like i said.

Welcome to the site mate. Very tidy s3 for its age.
With regards to driving it you need to allow the engine to warm up before coming on boost really so dont rag it until the temp's at 90 and even then take it steady for 10 mins, also when yoiur coming towards the end of a journey try to come off boost for the last 5 mins to allow the engine to cool down.
The power band is meant tobe between 2.5-5.8k, thats the best arear to keep in to keep on boost and keep the torque there but in my car (think mines just an exception) the power and torques there up until the redline but youll have to drive yours and see but as a guide like i said.

It seems better higher rev's but don't want to break the turbo reving it that high! is it ok to rev it that high???

Like said it feels quite flat at 4k untill around 4.8 even than is feels flat at times? Below 4k there is alot of torque but doesn't feel that quick changing gear at 4k.....................any help appraciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah its fine to rev the engine, wont do the turbo any harm but like said just make sure you warm up and cool down.

Could be a faulty MAF mate, very common and can cause flat spots like yours, unplug the MAF and go for a drive and see if it feels any different, if not then vag com it and measure the air flow rates, should be around 170-180.

The MAP sensors under the battery on i think a 75mm section of metal pipe, its flat shaped. Why?

what car did you have before ?

On the airbox, its a black plastic houseing, it connects the Tip and airbox.

Civic type r, 172 cup, cammed 106 gti were my last three cars

totally better.....ahem I mean 'different' cars
I can drive upto 4.5k a few times but reckon just 3.5k for normal driving it all depends if you drive like you stole it

totally better.....ahem I mean 'different' cars
I can drive upto 4.5k a few times but reckon just 3.5k for normal driving it all depends if you drive like you stole it

Like you said 3kish for normal driving, but for best performance on country roads rctwhat the best time to change??

Still carn't suss the powerband!