Replacment S3 Manifold.

jm-baker

Reaction score
Just removed mine to find it cracked through the turbo flange.

Does anyone know where i can get a replacement?, i.e. new OEM at a reasonable price.

Is there an alternative OEM fitment aftermarket manifold that anyone has used on here? I see JBS are in the process of developing one...

I plan to bold a Hybrid turbo to it as my turbo just let go, which is also cracked through in the mounting flange area and waste gate port area too..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

James

Will get some up soon. When i took the turbo off the gasket came out in two pieces, possibly due to the cracking. so i think it would have been blowing a bit too.

Also the EGT probe was loose and its clear the waste gate wouldn't have been sealing too well looking at the cracks around it.

Not the best pics, but should give you an idea..

That looks about right, our TQS had split there and further across in such a way when we dropped it to the floor it was in 2 peices.

You need a cast replacement, IIRC it's only JBS at the mo that has a reasonable looking unit or maybe a cast copy could be found on ebay. I managed to get a copy of an 034 one for my a4 from the US via china for around £100

I daren't ask Audi for a price... Tho it would be interesting to see what they are.

I will have to start looking about for one.

Cheers

It's interesting to see cast iron crack like that, shows you just how much heat is produced by the turbo and exhaust system.

As an aside, how the hell did you get the manifold off?! It looks almost impossible due to the space constraints. My manifold is blowing, and it just looks like a lot of effort to get to it.

Getting it off wasn't easy, but it can be done on axle stands at home.

I started by removing the turbo as i wanted to get it send off to be re-built. I managed to get it out from above without removing the subframe. The key is to remove the heat shield from behind the turbo / DP, which give more room to swing a spanner / ratchet in there.

It was a pig to get the turbo out, and i ended up removing it with the lower coolant and oil return pipes still attached to the turbo, but removed from the block. I had the car up on axle stands, both wheels removed, and some of the work was done through the drivers wheel arch opening.

I then decided i wanted to replace my DP and cats with a 3" DP and sports cat. So i had to drop the subframe, and steering box (released by undoing the UJ in the drivers foot well). Getting the exhaust out was not exactly easy, but i managed it, and with the DP still attached to the Cat's. Which was a great help as the bolts were screwed on the cat, and i would of had to cut them off.

With the DP out and the subframe out the way, you can unbolt the manifold. which is easy once the DP is gone, with plenty of room.

I never intended to remove the manifold, but i could see it was cracked from under the car.

I spent a good full day on it, with most the time getting the car up on axle stands high enough and removing all the bits on the engine to make room.

I am getting a quote on extrude honing the stock exhaust manifold to increase its flow at the moment.. may be of interest to those wanting OE fitment higher flowing manifold.

costs approx £260+vat for the extrude hone process..

Would love to see bill's and JBS's set up side by side to see which had the highest flow rate.
Also if bill pulls it off it'll be half the price of JBS's :)