Volks AutosChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

1999 1.6 A3 - Starting Problems

Hi all, had a quick search and seen what could be a couple of problems I think my car may have but need a second opinion.

Basically, my car has a bit of trouble firing up. It cranks fine, just wont catch for a bit and when it does it runs lumpy as fook and a niice ploom of soot comes out the back. Now I know it is running overly rich at start, but why?!

Fuel economy remains perfect, no loss in power at all and when driving it is as smooth as eggs with NO smoke at all. It just doesn't like to start.

From what I have read, it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor or MAF - do you guys think that this is the case? If so, can you please link me with DIY replacement guides as I like to get my hands dirty

Thanks in advance!

Lee
    Mk1 Mazda Eunos Roadster

Big plans... erm.. planned.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    best thing to do is get it scanned by vagcom or take it to your local garage and get them to plug their scanner on it and go from there otherwise you could be replacing parts here and there and not solving the issue.

cheers mark.

Neutral

Status
    Cheers Mark, that would be my backup plan for sure.

From what I have read the two potential causes I have listed above seem to be most common... I just want someone to confirm what I have read to be correct and advise where to get the two parts.
    Mk1 Mazda Eunos Roadster

1st Gear

Status
    best place for either temp or maf sensor is genuine audi really as otherwise they wont last long. Either could cause that problem but i would get it scanned 1st though could be faulty wiring etc, someone may be near you who has vag com, go into the vag com section and ask or a garage.

cheers mark.

Neutral

Status
    Just in case anyone wants to know - or searches for help with a similar problem...

I replaced the coolant temp sensor with a genuine Audi part (around 30 ish) and it works perfectly now. Took me about 5 mins to do.

Can't guarantee that everyone that has the same problem will be caused by the CTS, but in my case it was
    Mk1 Mazda Eunos Roadster