third brake light on facelift s3

barters3

Reaction score
Iv done a search but cant find what im looking for, i seem to remember that there was a diffrerence in changing the bulb(s) on the third brake light on facelifts and pre facelifts, ie one is a complete cluster and one has individual bulbs, just thought id ask before i go pulling all my boot trim out to have a look as only one of my bulbs havs gone.

Facelift definately have individual bulbs as ive changed one in the past mate, cant comment on pre facelift though.

Yep, as Steve said mate, facelifts have individual bulbs. They are the small bulbs normally found in the back of instument clusters, but there are different sizes and wattages, so best to remove one of the bulbs and take it with you to Halfords rather than guessing.

how do you replace them? do you have to take all the boot trim off? I have one out and not sure if its worth the hassle just to replace the one!

When I bought my car it had 4 bulbs out, I managed to just pull back the trim far enough to expose the third brake light cluster and remove the 2 Phillips screws that hold it in. Then the individual bulbs simply pull out of the cluster!

I was lucky enough to do it like that where I didn't have to remove any trim and it was a 2 minute job! :)

do you know what bulb type they are? cheers

Could tell you exactly what bulb you need mate which is why I said best to remove one of the bulbs and take it to Halfords or a motor factors with you to make sure you get the right one.

They are 2.3 Watt Wedge/Dashboard/Panel bulbs. Halfords Part number: HBU284. Also seen them called R286 or 286X (make sure they are 2.3 Watt).