Part 1 - Front Mont Intercooler

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Well for the last few days i have been building my front mount intercooler for the pending IHI turbo upgrade.

I found a few designs of intercoolers but all were for golfs. I thought to myself that why pay someone twice the price for soething i can build myself and get alot more satisfaction out of!

I ordered the core, had Dave at Milltek supply me with stainles exhaust pipe and purchased LOADS of Mikalor clamps and silicone cnnectiors/angles .etc

I knew the route i would take so it was quite simple. Now on the A3, the turbo outlet and throttle body are on the same side which makes this job bit of a pain in the ****! Forge do a kit for the Golf, but this runs a pipe through the crash bar and that is different on the golf to the A3 so that ruled that one out. I could use the S3 kit, but this wuld mean replacing the inlet manifold, alot of pipes and also re-running the throttle cable which is something i really did not fancy doing!

Now pretty much all the kits ive seen for the golf require the bumper to be modified...i was hoping that i would get awy with not having to do this, but it was not the case. No big deal though! just a bit more CAREFUL work to do. Took me about 1 and a half hours just to get the bumper to fit back on! The intercooler, at present is VERY visible indeed but will be somewhat hidden... Will always know its there though!

Below are the pics of what ive done so far.

This is some of the pipework and the core itself. Pipework is before i chopped it.
3.jpg

Old and new!
5.jpg

The route ive taken.
1.jpg

Popping out to say hello!
2.jpg

Naked and feeling sorry for itself
4.jpg

Intercooler and pipework pretty much complete!
6.jpg

In...
7.jpg

Out... (need to order another bit of silicone for the final connection
8.jpg

The (nearly!) finished product!
10.jpg

All that remains to be done is the connection between intercooler outlet and throttle body, and also need to get a couple of offtake welded onto the turbo pipe for DV and N75. Them im done.

Will re-mesh the bumper when its all complete!

Watch this space for updates!

Looking good mate.

I would leave the IC showing. Looks very mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Excellent. Glad its working out for you!

Looking forward to seeing the results at the RR Session in Oct!

Cheers
Rich.

Nice one Rich, looking good mate..

Done a good job there.. Keep up the good work..

Pal

Thanks for the comments!

There is very litle in cars that is too difficult when you get down to it...just takes some patience! I sat there and stared at the intercooler outlet for about half an hour trying to figure out how to get it past the damn tow bar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif its in just about the wrong place and makes it a bit on a pain in the **** to get round. Very inconsiderate of Audi to put it there indeed knowing full well people will want to fit FMIC's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

awesome! looks realy mean! looking forward to the finished results......

cheers tony

Rich where did you order the core form dude?

I wonder how that would fit under the original bumper.

All looking good!!!!!!!!

NICE!!!

I love the inter cooler in the bumper............looks made for it.

[ QUOTE ]
jayfrst said:
Rich where did you order the core form dude?

I wonder how that would fit under the original bumper.

All looking good!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the forge universal type 1 core (FMINT104)

To be honest mate, its a ****** tight fit behind my bumper which is lower and generaly chunkier than the stock so i doubt it would fit without removing most of it! I had to grin down the inner edge of the bumper and cut out holes in the diagonal sections for the pipework to fit.

Rich

Looking good Rich, and should gio nicely when matched to the turbo.

Rich, one word matey... Mega.

Those hard pipes sticking out either side of the cooler look the muts!

As they say in Scotland 'On yer sel biy maun'

So is the turbo outlet from an IHI in about the same place?

Also did you consider running the pipework under the engine. I've seen a few of these in the past by clocking the turbo and pointing the outlet downwards.

Nice work!

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Rich, one word matey... Mega.

Those hard pipes sticking out either side of the cooler look the muts!

As they say in Scotland 'On yer sel biy maun'

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers matey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
So is the turbo outlet from an IHI in about the same place?

Also did you consider running the pipework under the engine. I've seen a few of these in the past by clocking the turbo and pointing the outlet downwards.

Nice work!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah i thought this was the easiest route with least amount of [censored] about. the new turbo is the same place laterally, but point more towards the bulkhead so will need to connect that up slightly different...wont know how tho until its on (parts are leaving Jabba tomorrow, and i will be fitting it on monday. Want it to be up at AmD end of the week so that i can have it back for the week after.

Rich

Oh, I see now. I forgot you were getting the new charger pretty soon.

I thought you might be running the intercooler with the old turbo for a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Oh, I see now. I forgot you were getting the new charger pretty soon.

I thought you might be running the intercooler with the old turbo for a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoguth about it but it would be for about 2 days so not worth it. Ive not driven now for a week which feels a bit odd... Whats going to be even more odd is that the next time i DO drive, it will be in a 300bhp A3! WooHoo!!!!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
Your gonna love it.......then a month later you will used to it again and want more!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definately! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I cant wait for it to be done!

Hi Rich

I'm new to the site. Just wondering, could you not put a RS4 spoiler on the front to cover the Intercooler?