Spring Compressor Help!!

Reaction score
I've tried to fit my new Weitec rear springs to my S3 today and after taking the originals out I found that the spring compressor I'm using doesn't fit on the Weitec springs. On the original the main coils in the spring are in a straight vertical line with each other, but on the Weitec spings the middle of the main coils sticks out wider than the top and bottom ones so the spring compressor claws can't reach fully round to the top and bottom coils. The claws don't miss by much and so make contact, but its not enough for a safe compression.

I'm using a draper version of this spring compressor:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_203375_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

What I think I need is a spring compressor like this one:
21.jpg

... note how the spring compressor claws have a long reach that I think will help.

I've searched around but can't find a simliar spring compressor, anyone know of one?

Also, is it possible to hire garage tools from anywhere? I'd just as happily fire a decent spring compressor?

You shouldn't need a spring compressor for the rears... unbolt the bottom of the damper from the rear arm, un clip the ABS sensor cable (not the sensor itself) else it will stretch and prob break, undo the xenon self leveller connector rod between the tie bar and the self leveller as this 'WILL' break if you don't.

Springs will just pop in then, might have to stand on the arm a little to get the top in but no compressor needed.

<tuffty/>

Well I thought I'd be able to change them by dropping the arm, but I've pushed it all the way down, until the trailing arm hits the end of its travel and I still need to compress the spring. Its actually the top and bottom dome things that slot into the spring that are the problem, without them the sping would slide in and out ok.

Have you actually managed to swap springs without a compressor at the rear? Maybe I just need to get a bit more rough with it?

Didn't use a compressor at all for the rears... you do have to undo the bolt holding the ARB droplink and damper to the back of the arm and you get more travel but like I said, unclip the ABS cable from the arm as it will stretch and disconnect the self leveller arm as it WILL break.

I put a foot on the arm to push it down a bit more while slotting the spring in. That was on Eibach -20mm. I popped the OEM springs out without a compressor too...

<tuffty/>

Same here never used compressors on the rear springs the old ones came out a treat and the new lower ones just fell in