Small oil leak near cam belt

barters3

Reaction score
As above, i noticed a small oil leak when my car was being serviced. my mechanic said it looks like its coming fro the turbo return pipe, however he is going to give it a clean up and then try and pin point it.
Has anyone had experience of oil leaks in this area.
Im a bit annoyed because he said the cambelt may have to come off, only just had it replaced, (10000 miles ago)
Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

I've got a used A6, 2.7 bi-turbo.

I'm having the same oil leak. Hot oil actually burned a hole in my armour cover beneath the engine. There is 'fresh' oil dripping from turbo return air pipe on the driver's side under the car.

I took off all the decorative covers on top of the engine, and disconnected the air intake where the rubber connector goes over to the bypass/diverter valve (three hose clamps). There is also a bracket located just beneath the first cylinder coil that holds the lower metal pipe in place. Once you losen all that, the pipe will just slide out from the bottom connection. There is not a clamp way down there.

Once I got all that off, I started looking for the source of the leak. It looks like I can see a gear (!) between a small gap in the cover that goes over the cam gear. It is just beneath the solenoid that controls the oil flow for the variable valve timing.

I'm thinking that if they had to repair the cam belt, they might have screwed up putting the cover back on. Somebody didn't align the cover properly. When I'm on the gas, I get oil spraying out that little gap. It flows down the front of the engine and covers the turbo return air hose.

I'm going to try to find out a fix. More to follow.

Anybody had this problem?

Hi and welcome to the forum... I suggest you try the A6 forum as there aren't that many A6's in the A3/S3 section :)

http://audi-sport.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=21

<tuffty/>

I've got a used A6, 2.7 bi-turbo.

I'm having the same oil leak. Hot oil actually burned a hole in my armour cover beneath the engine. There is 'fresh' oil dripping from turbo return air pipe on the driver's side under the car.

I took off all the decorative covers on top of the engine, and disconnected the air intake where the rubber connector goes over to the bypass/diverter valve (three hose clamps). There is also a bracket located just beneath the first cylinder coil that holds the lower metal pipe in place. Once you losen all that, the pipe will just slide out from the bottom connection. There is not a clamp way down there.

Once I got all that off, I started looking for the source of the leak. It looks like I can see a gear (!) between a small gap in the cover that goes over the cam gear. It is just beneath the solenoid that controls the oil flow for the variable valve timing.

I'm thinking that if they had to repair the cam belt, they might have screwed up putting the cover back on. Somebody didn't align the cover properly. When I'm on the gas, I get oil spraying out that little gap. It flows down the front of the engine and covers the turbo return air hose.

I'm going to try to find out a fix. More to follow.

Anybody had this problem?

As above, i noticed a small oil leak when my car was being serviced. my mechanic said it looks like its coming fro the turbo return pipe, however he is going to give it a clean up and then try and pin point it.
Has anyone had experience of oil leaks in this area.
Im a bit annoyed because he said the cambelt may have to come off, only just had it replaced, (10000 miles ago)
Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

I spotted an oil leak when I had my cambelt changed, it was the camcover gasket on my car which apparently is pretty common. Is it anywhere near the top?

I had the same problem on my old s3. AP'S noticed it when I took it in for a service, I had to have the cambelt changed as well due to oil splashing on the cambelt. The cambelt wasn't old but due to the oil contamination on it it wasn't worth risking it, it makes the rubber on the belt brittle and weak which could easily cause it to snap, and the oil could also cause it to slip, (jump a tooth) if it becomes weak and slightly loose. I'd rather pay out £500 to have the cambelt and oil leak done than thousands for an engine rebuild.