Badger5JMB Retrofits
    Faster pussy cat!

Status

A3 1.8T Sport - Timing Belt & Water pump

Hi All,

Just a quick query - I'm due to have the timing belt replaced on my A3; I've come accross a few posts here that say about having the water pump done at the same time to be on the safe side. Should I do this or have I read wrong?

Mine has done 101320 miles. FSH.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Faster pussy cat!

Status
    Oh its a 51 plate model in case you were wondering.

dan77

Status
    definately get it done aswell, i heard about people gettin the belt done and then a little while later the pump goes bad, and you'll be payin the labour to get it done seperately,
    A3 1.8T sport, revo stage 1, Forge 007, Green cotton panel filter, TTpedals. . . . . SOLD
    Golf GTTDI 130 . . . . . SOLD

Current 2006 A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line, Revo stage one, chrome pedals, black grill, full interior and number plate LEDs retro fitted cruise control,

Faster pussy cat!

Status
    Thanks mate, I thought I hadn't imagined reading that.

Going on a driving holiday in Cornwall in September and want to get it re-mapped after that so don't want any mishaps along the way..

Reverse Gear

Status
    do it - having to have my cambelt off to replace a waterpump that wasn't done by the last owner when the cambelt was done....3.5 hours labour for a 30 part to be fixed!

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Mines booked in on the 26th of this month for cambelt, water pump, fuel filter and gearbox oil. Cant figure out if the belts beendone or not and same for the pump so biting the bullet and getting it done, couple hundred quid to say a few gran if it goes! I know what im paying, plus it banging away louder than my bed does
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

1st Gear

Status
    defo get it done!! my waterpump has just gone, so am getting belt done at same time, 350 so dont want to have to do it all again to replace later on.

1st Gear

Status
    at what mileage is the cambelt meant to be changed on a 1998 audi a3 1.8 turbo sport? mines done 82,000 and dont think its been done yet.
    thanks
    rob

BÜBENGRÖPEN

Status
    ^^^It should be done every 5 years or 70,000miles (there abouts) - which ever comes first.

But i have heard some people doing Audi Turbo cambelt changes at only 40,000 regardless of age.
    Kristian
    No longer an Audi driver...

Neutral

Status
    how much are you guys paying for the cam belt and water pump change?
    2001 A3 1.8T TQS
    1998 A8 2.8 Auto

Faster pussy cat!

Status
    Thanks everyone. Its booked in tomorrow to have cam belt & water pump done. They looked at me a bit funny when I said I wanted the water pump done as well!!

Going on a driving holiday in Cornwall in a few weeks so don't want any cock ups along the way...

Being honest, my timing belt was done when I bought the car which was about 30,000 miles ago so its not quite due but want to get it all done while I have the money. Besides, now the old girl has done over 100,000 miles I'm doubly careful.

Its being done at my local Audi dealer; they put a new dash unit in for me a few weeks ago but didn't bother to code the radio up to test it fully. I coded the radio when I got home only to find the top third of the LCD display no displaying the radio info.

Anyway, I figured while its there they may as well do the timing belt and water pump to save me booking it in again.

I'm not impressed with them generally -they lied to me saying they had tested the radio - which obviously is a blatent lie!! Makes me wonder why I'm giving them business but have recently started a new job and could do without the hassle of booking it into another garage and arranging alternative transport on yet another day.

Its booked in at my Trusty local one the week after next for a service.

So annoyed with the Audi dealer really. I am considering writing to the manager about their school-boy error and the middle-man's blatent lies!

Faster pussy cat!

Status
    Sorry, off topic but felt like a rant!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Monster View Post
    Thanks everyone. Its booked in tomorrow to have cam belt & water pump done. They looked at me a bit funny when I said I wanted the water pump done as well!!

Going on a driving holiday in Cornwall in a few weeks so don't want any cock ups along the way...

Being honest, my timing belt was done when I bought the car which was about 30,000 miles ago so its not quite due but want to get it all done while I have the money. Besides, now the old girl has done over 100,000 miles I'm doubly careful.

Its being done at my local Audi dealer; they put a new dash unit in for me a few weeks ago but didn't bother to code the radio up to test it fully. I coded the radio when I got home only to find the top third of the LCD display no displaying the radio info.

Anyway, I figured while its there they may as well do the timing belt and water pump to save me booking it in again.

I'm not impressed with them generally -they lied to me saying they had tested the radio - which obviously is a blatent lie!! Makes me wonder why I'm giving them business but have recently started a new job and could do without the hassle of booking it into another garage and arranging alternative transport on yet another day.

Its booked in at my Trusty local one the week after next for a service.

So annoyed with the Audi dealer really. I am considering writing to the manager about their school-boy error and the middle-man's blatent lies!

If you're near Cirencester, you should consider booking it into Dialynx in Lydiard Millicent (http://www.dialynx.co.uk/index.htm).

They are very good. We talked cam belts while I was there and they said 60k was a good interval, and definitely do the water pump and variater at the same time.

Reasonable prices, too. I paid 320 for a 20k service and a haldex filter change.
    '03 A3 1.8T Quattro Sport