Beeping from the boot area

s3_kev

Stage2'd!!!!!!
Reaction score
for the last two mornings i have gone out to my car 1st thing and shortly after starting the car there is three beeps which appear to come from the boot area, my freind at work thought it might be the amplifier in the boot as he knows some can beep when the battery voltage has dropped to let you no of a power serge or something which seemed a valid reason but i checked the battery today and its all ok, i was woundering if its the alarm bleeping to warn me that the alarm has been set off i have no signs of damage anywhere from some theiving scum and i havent heared the alarm going off either so unsure,

anyone else had this happen or no what it might be???

Hi, I had the same problem with my car, it happened for about a week every morning after starting the car. The car lives in the garage every night so I was sure the alarm has not been set off so I just put up with it (didnt fancy pulling the siren apart), went on holiday for 10 days and I havent heard it since. I did set the alarm off to make sure it was still working.

I did read that a low voltage battery in the siren would cause the problem but I guess the problem fixed its self :sm4:

I just wish my clutch master cylinder leaking would fix its self :banghead:

The backup battery in the alarm sounder is dead (they only last ~5 years)

Do a search on the 8L forum for 'alarm battery' for details on how to replace the batteries, or buy a new sounder from Audi for ~£80

Do it sooner rather than later though, as if the batteries leak they will destroy the sounder and then it will have to be a new sounder from Audi.

DIYed mine last year. (~£10 from Maplin for the batteries, plus ~1hour to replace if you are handy with a soldering iron)

Cheers,

seems it might be the siren then, seems wiered that it only seems to do it after its been left overnight guess the longer its left the more the battery drains but id have thought 8hours at work would do it to,

Do a search on the 8L forum for 'alarm battery' for details on how to replace the batteries, or buy a new sounder from Audi for ~£80

Do it sooner rather than later though, as if the batteries leak they will destroy the sounder and then it will have to be a new sounder from Audi.

DIYed mine last year. (~£10 from Maplin for the batteries, plus ~1hour to replace if you are handy with a soldering iron)

Cheers,
cool cheers for that i will do a search now no worries with the soldering im pretty niffty with that i have had to fix so many things recently with it, one being my broken lap top at the mo just waiting for bit for that to guuurrrrr

Hi Al,
Am I right in thinking that my siren back up battery is more than likley dead then? or should the beeps still happen to warn me it needs replacing? sounds like it may not have fixed its self after all :keule:
O well just 1 more thing to add to the list..lol

just done this on mine. took siren out, and battrys had leaked all over circuit board.
orderd new part from audi ( they now how a revised siren) and fitted it. problem solved. cost approx £80 for new siren tho

anyone no where the siren is on an s3 with a bose sub and cd changer, i worked on a tt and had a look in there today and its just there really easy to get to but i cant find mine for love nor money, is it in the door lock pump or part of it as that seems to make a sound when the alarms set as if its coming from inside it???

found it done a bit more searching what a ****** that is

yeah there is an 8mm nut in the bottom corner of the where to sub box attaches undo that then i had to bend the tag back a bit so the stud was clear of the sub box then you can wiggle the alarm up from hole behind where the sub is you cant actually see it you can just about get your hand in there to feel it though

The alarm box on the s3 is indeed a bu**er to get to. Unlike the very helpful TT tutorial, the S3 takes a bit more work.

I just did mine last night. 4.5 hours. OK, so I'm not a seasoned DIY'er but still it was a job. You really need to take out the rear light cluster as without doing this you can't get to the parts needed.

Once you have the rear cluster out, you need to lift out the central locking unit which is in a small plastic box covered in foam. Try not to rip it too pieces, like I did with mine!

Once this is out you can see down in to the bottom of the cavity and you will see the alarm unit (same shape and size as on the tt tutorial). The alarm unit is held in place by a metal bracket which needs to be undone. This is done by inserting a spline drive into the end of the bolt, rather than trying to undo the hexagonal bolt instelf...took me 5 mins to realise that. It's in an awkward place to get to but it does come out!

As already posted you need to remove the bolts securing the bass box and take out the CD changer. This requires part removal of the trim. You need to unbolt the Bass Box because the bracket that holds the alarm unit in is fixed underneath a plastic part sticking out from the bass box bracket.

Once you get the alarm unit out, it's just a case of following the TT tutorial to fix the new batteries in place and put the unit back together.

My first DIY job and I'm VERY happy I saved myself c. £140.

Cheers,
G
:rockwoot:

I did mine without removing the rear light, I had to remove the boot trim on passenger side, boot trim along the back(the bit you can't see), rear quarter interior card, sidesill trim, passenger side rear seat and subwoofer with CD changer above it. I reckon I can do it all in 2-3 hours now that I know what I'm doing lol, but I saved myself the labour as mentioned above, and you get to know your car better.

would this cause the main car battery to become dead ? I ask because im in the process of changing the batteries in my unit however prior to the beeping boot my central locking wouldn't work as well as my alpine stereo freezing and my dash needles becoming erratic and loosing power to the needles

I have recently started getting the 4 beeps from the boot on start up after being left overnight. I phoned TPS to ask for a price on a new battery backup for the alarm siren and they couldn't find what I was asking for.

Does anybody have a part number for this?*

Thanks

Mate.. Just replace the battery in the alarm! All you need is a soldering iron, batteries from maplin and a steady hand!

I have recently started getting the 4 beeps from the boot on start up after being left overnight. I phoned TPS to ask for a price on a new battery backup for the alarm siren and they couldn't find what I was asking for.

Does anybody have a part number for this?*

Thanks

You can't buy a battery pack for the siren, it's all in the alarm siren unit.

You need a new siren, or as Gops has suggested, do the maplin mod or wire in 6 x Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries in a holder and mount it external to the old siren. That's what I did, but only because I had the stuff already.

You will still need it split the old siren, and be aware that it's not guaranteed to work if the old batteries have leaked over the siren circuit board and damaged it.

If you aren't DIY savvy, then a new siren is the safest bet but they aren't cheap, but many VAG cars of the era use he same one and new ones pop up on eBay for about £100.