Indicators Not Working - Relay or Stalk?

metricspaces

Reaction score
Every now and again when I put my indicator on the indicator light just sticks in the on position and doesn't flash on and off. This has gotten progressively worse - it use to happen the odd week, now it happens every day.

When this happens, if I mess with it for a while sometimes it comes back to normal and flashes on and off. What I usually do is turn it on and off a few times. Try holding the stalk firmly down near the base and turning it on. Turn the engine off.

Does this sound like a problem with the relay or the stalk?

I've read other posts about the indicators, such as http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=61244, but they all seem to have a problem where the indicator flashes to quickly?

Sounds like the relay. Try switching on the hazard lights. If you get the same prob then its more than likely the relay which is part of the hazard switch IIRC...

If you do need a stalk though, I have one I can let you have cheap from when I did my cruise control

<tuffty/>

Hazards work fine, even when the indicators are stuck on. But I've read that they are two seperate relays within the same housing. So the relay for the indicators can be broken, whilst the one of the hazards can continue to work fine.

The reason I'm wondering if this sounds like a relay problem is because the descriptions given by people elsewhere of where replacing the relay solved the problem all had erratic or fast indicating. Whereas my indicator just stick on in the on position and doesn't flicker on and off.

Hoping it's not the stalk as it sounds like a nightmare to fix http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec162.shtml

My bet would be to change the hazaed switch as it does have 2 relays in it. One for the hazard system and one for the indicators. The part is around £32 from the stealers

I had this on the 8L. It may just have been a coincidence, but what seemed to fix it was checking all the relays (read: wiggling them around and checking they're correctly seated) on the bus bar under the drivers side lower dash trim (the big one with the headlight switch in it that surrounds the steering column). I'd been around that area working on the wiring and figured I might've disturbed something, and once I'd checked again that everything was making good contact my indicators seemed to return to normal. Like I say, it might just be coincidence (I never studied the wiring diagram to find out if there is anything down there related to indicators), but they never misbehaved again.

Might be worth a go for a 'gratis' fix?

Regards,

Rob.

I had this on the 8L. It may just have been a coincidence, but what seemed to fix it was checking all the relays (read: wiggling them around and checking they're correctly seated) on the bus bar under the drivers side lower dash trim (the big one with the headlight switch in it that surrounds the steering column). I'd been around that area working on the wiring and figured I might've disturbed something, and once I'd checked again that everything was making good contact my indicators seemed to return to normal. Like I say, it might just be coincidence (I never studied the wiring diagram to find out if there is anything down there related to indicators), but they never misbehaved again.

Might be worth a go for a 'gratis' fix?

Regards,

Rob.

Now that you mention it, I had my clutch pedal and master cylinder replaced a few months ago, so maybe something got a little knocked out of place at the time. I'll have a little gander about later. Thanks.

Indicator stalk is not that difficult, just take your time as you have to remove quite a bit.

That article pretty much says it all... looks more difficult than it actually is.

Opinion varies but I left the car for 20 mins with the battery disconnected to make sure there wasn't going to be an issue with the airbag.

<tuffty/>

Opinion varies but I left the car for 20 mins with the battery disconnected to make sure there wasn't going to be an issue with the airbag.

And make sure you discharge yourself of any static before you touch it/anything connected to it - wearing an anti-static wrist-strap would be the textbook way to do it, but if you grab hold of an unpainted portion of a radiator or something like that on your way out of the house before you get going you'll be fine.

(BTW, triggering an airbag by static is EXTREMELY unlikely, but better to be safe than sorry)

Regards,

Rob.

And make sure you discharge yourself of any static before you touch it/anything connected to it - wearing an anti-static wrist-strap would be the textbook way to do it, but if you grab hold of an unpainted portion of a radiator or something like that on your way out of the house before you get going you'll be fine.

(BTW, triggering an airbag by static is EXTREMELY unlikely, but better to be safe than sorry)

Regards,

Rob.

nearing on impossible but I know what your saying.

Ive got a stalk you can have for postage aswel if it turns out to be that.

Sounds like it could be the relay, had mine go last month, quite a quick and easy swap out as well...

I soooo want to set an airbag of by 12 volting it.....

Anyway, that relay iirc there is a newer revision now too if you have a facelift car