coilover ride height and ride quality

bantam1

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question and all, but anyway, here goes.

With height adjustable coilover kits will ride height affect ride quality i.e. the lower you go the harsher it gets? Or are ride height and quality totally unrelated, or is the relationship more complex than that?

Info gratefully received (relates to a new addition to the family!).

It's usually the lower you go the harder it'll get as the springs are more compressed and there's less travel left.

Damian @ DPM Performance

cheers Damian - this relates to a set of KW variant 1s which i think are dropped about 50mm from standard ride height. Would raising the ride height by 10mm or even 20mm give a noticeable improvement in ride quality do you think?

The car i'm talking about is a Lupo Gti which i've just bought for my missus. Ride is stiff, but not crashy with the KWs on, but a little more compliance around the streets of Birmingham wouldn't be a bad thing!

I know this is the A3/S3 forum, but the car is parked next to my S3, so of course it's relevant here!! The car looks sweet on the KWs and so the missus doesn't want the standard suspension back on!

Cheers,

B.

ride height shouldnt make a mssive difference to comfort imo as it should have helper springs which are the little springs they are designed to compress easier so when you lower the car to the max the main spring is still un compresed, however it will still be a little softer when raised as the helper springs will be less compressed to so that will give a little more comfort

Small amounts like lowering 30 or 40mm won't really make much difference but something like 30 or 60mm would definately be noticeable.

Damian @ DPM Performance

mmmm - difference of opinion, now confused :)

so if i raised it 20mm i might see a noticeable difference in ride quality?

Best way is to adjust it and try it.