Chris NottSky Insurance

Thread: misfire HELP!!

havin it large

Status

misfire HELP!!

hi,
    Ive just got back from an early morning drive and whilst i was out the car started to feel like it was misfireing, so i got it home and put it on vag.com and there was no fault codes. it fells like its misfireing around 3000rpm and 5000rpm and with no fault codes i aint got a clue any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated
    TOM
    PS. car had oil, filter and plug change 5000 miles ago

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Its a bit ambiguous when you say it 'feels' like its misfiring,what is the car doing...is it actually missing or is it not boosting.

havin it large

Status
    well the car feels like its stuttering and i just assumed that it was misfireing and ive only got the shareware version of vag.com so not much info

Smell my finger.

Status
    Hmmm, sounds like it could be MAF issue. Mine used to feel like it was hesitating a bit when driving when the MAF was buggered.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like it could be MAF issue. Mine used to feel like it was hesitating a bit when driving when the MAF was buggered.
    Could be, un-plug it and see if it goes away.

But it could also be electrical or fuel related. When you say plug change, do you mean oil plug or sparks?
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

havin it large

Status
    llladidiasboy: i ment the spark plugs (ngk iridium)also it dosent do it all the time just occasionally. if it was a buggerd maf would vag.com pick it up or do you just have to change it to find out?

2nd Gear

Status
    As you've changed the spark plugs, that hopefully means that you can rule them out. I've not had VAG-COM that long so I'm not sure if a simple fault code scan will show all MAF faults - I think that would depend on the actual fault - but you can confirm / eliminate the MAF by un-plugging it and going for a drive, if the problem persists then it's not the MAF, although I know you can use VC to log air flow so that might be useful to highlight MAF problems - might be worth posting the question in the VC section.

I've got a similar problem, I un-plugged the MAF and to begin with it didn't do it (thought I'd cracked it) but then unfortunately it started again, so now I'm thinking coil packs - or something else electrical. So I'm just going to systematically change the electrical components and if that doesn't work start looking again for air leaks (which are hard to find) or turn my attention to the fueling.

9/10 times a misfire is going to be fuel/air/spark related (remembering the "fire triangle" ) - hopefully it's not a compression issue.
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

havin it large

Status
    so just been and unplugged the maf and everything seems to be fine but does anybody know how long i can leave it unplugged befor thing start going wrong.
    thanks to anyone who has helpped

2nd Gear

Status
    That means it's pointing to a problem with the MAF - which needs to be changed (Audi do an exchenge programme I believe at a cost of approx 80)

Not sure how long you can run un-plugged though

havin it large

Status
    so got back from work and unplugged the maf again and went out for a drive and the car is still doing it so is there a way of testing the coils?

2nd Gear

Status
    Not sure, I'm suspecting mine as well, so I would also be interested in this!!

Sounds like your problem is very similar to mine (thought is was MAF - and it came back to haunt me!! )

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    boost leak?
    ^^ In my opinion

havin it large

Status
    ill have a look but ive just replaced the whole vacuum sysytem and ive got forge pipes on the boost system. Has anyone got the price of a maf as my local audi wanted 77 quid plus vat on exchange and that seemed a bit pricey to me

1st Gear

Status
    dribz-s3,

Price from audi for MAF is about right, best get one from there rather than anywhere else. I has this problem and it turned out to be the N75 valve after replacing the MAF, coils, DV.