Engine swap - need help with codes

Pincher

Reaction score
Website
www.pinchernet.dsl.pipex.com
Have cross-posted this on TSN as well, but though I would also ask here.

My next door neighbour has just bought a 2000 (W) 5 door 1.8T

Only problem is that the engine is shot, so he got one with 30,000 miles from the local breakers for £600. The code of the old engine is AGU and the new one is AUM - will he be able to dump it straight in (he is also waiting on a new clutch which should be here next week)?

I did a bit of research and it looks as though the AGU is a cable throttle, whilst the AUM is DBW. Also the AUM has big injectors as oppsed to small and a slightly different turbo.

Bit of an ignoramus with these things - any advice appreciated before he gets in too deep next week.

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
aum is better engine but you may have problems changing it over as your right it has many small differences

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats a matter of opinion! I prefer the AGU personally mainly for throtle feedback. i dont like drive by wire! Have no feel whatsoever! The AUM is slightly smoother and more economical due to VVT.

As for the swap, he will need the new ECU, which will require a new engine loom, new intercooler (AUM has MAP sensor, AGU doesnt) new MAF sensor .etc

may be expensive!

Rich

ps - for the modders out there, the AGU is capable of about 100bhp more than the AUM. As the AGU doesnt have VVT, the ports are bigger therefore have more potential and creat HUGE power with the right mods (talking complete enging rebuild with VERY strong internals.) After the turbo upgrade on mine, the next level will be rebuilding the engine with forged low comp pistons (9:1 as opposed to the 9.5:1 it currently runs), strengthened conrods .etc.

Rich

Rich said.
After the turbo upgrade on mine, the next level will be rebuilding the engine with forged low comp pistons (9:1 as opposed to the 9.5:1 it currently runs), strengthened conrods .etc.

Lets hope you don't break it first.

Seems like a non starter unless you swap the cylinder head,the vvt and dbw are gonna make this complicated