Where's the acceleration?!

I

imported_slinx

I've had a 98 Audi A3 1.8 T Sport for a few months. I've noticed that the initial acceleration in any gear takes a while to kick-in, there's a definate delay.
My technical knowledge is mediocre /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, so does anyone have any ideas? something to do with the turbo?
It's just had a full service and new sparks etc, but surely there shouldn't be any problems with the turbo after only 65,000 miles.

cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like turbo lag - it's normal - the turbo takes a second to wind up to reach efficiency. If you are in a higher gear at low speed it is more noticeable.

I had a Golf GTI 1.8T and its turbo lag was very noticeable (at least a second). I now have an S3 and the lag is a lot less, but still noticeable, although it might just be the quicker gear changes with the S3 that creates the illusion of less lag.

it all depends how you drive it, if you punch the pedal straight to the floor you going to get lag, try light pressure until boost builds then sink it, i think you will find this much better..

is there a way of tweaking the turbo to give a bit extra? and if so, would it have an adverse affect on anything.

put it secound gear at apporx 15 miles an hour floor it you should find it progressively boosts, watch out for flat spots and if you have any recommended taking to your stealer

[ QUOTE ]
slinx said:
is there a way of tweaking the turbo to give a bit extra? and if so, would it have an adverse affect on anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, its called a chip. Most makes of chip take the boost pressure up to around 1 bar boost.