Help Please! Head unit replacement

Lacey123

Audi S3
Reaction score
Have changed my standard bose headunit today for an alpine. Only problem is when i change track and turn it on or off it makes an interfirance noise, is there anyway i can get around this?

Thanks lacey

There's loads about this in the ice forum, cant remember specifics but its something to do with the Bose set up in the car. Is it like a pop noise?

I get a pop noise from my standard set up, does my tree in.

Yeah its a pop noise ive checked ll the connections and everythink seems too be fine?

the Bose kit in the car isnt compatable with standard stuff, you need to have a lead that sorts it all out.

Thats as much as I know, I've read lots about people changing headunits on BOSE and having the problem you have.

If you put a thread up in the ICE section or ask a mod to move this one you'll be told how to sort it.

T

It's not a fault it's normal. The Bose amp uses a bizarre capacitor array on the input stage to minimise noise and interference from the shockingly bad Audi wiring and an aftermarket HU grounds the RCA's when doing something electrically noisey. This discharges the capacitor array, thus the popping.
the 4 Options you have are (in order of personal preference):
1. Buy a Becker GP HU, which is completely compatible with the Bose system
2. Solder capacitors inline with your RCA cables, this filters the grounding without loss of quality as per this thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=26307
3. Change all the speakers and the sub and bypass the Bose amp.
4. Change the adapter harness you are using from the RCA input harness to the speaker input harness with the resultant loss of quality and probable hissing & alternator whine (as it uses a line out converter to take the amped signal from the new HU back down to signal level only to then be amped again by the Bose amp = hideous).

Last edited: