Badger5JMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

Brakes not working whilst engine off?

Have just noticed this earlier on. Is this always the case? I could have sworn I could move the car and use the brakes without the engine on - now it just rolls down my drive! Also I just put the car in gear, took off the hand brake and let the clutch out (with the engine off obviously) and again it slowly started moving slowly down the bank of my driveway! Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Resurfacing your drive so its flat? using the missus as a wheel chock? Turning the engine on?

or...

The brake servo looses its pressure when the engine is turned off and pumping the brakes makes the pedal harder and you loose braking ability. Servos are supposed to hold pressure for a certain amount of time to allow you to pull up if the engine stalls at speed but will loose pressure on subsequent applications.

In short, I am pretty sure its by design and all cars are the same... happy to be proven otherwise

Putting into gear won't help too much if you are on a steepish slope either as the weight of the car will just turn the engine over.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Yes, that's normal. Brakes are servo assisted, using the vacuum from the inlet manifold (or a pump on a diesel engine). With the engine off, they will work for maybe one or two presses, but when the remaining vacuum is used, that's it. They will still work, but you'll have to stand on them to get anything!

Lifes one big laugh

Status
    the brakes are power assisted! the car should roll but not if its in gear !! the handbrake will work when engine is off as its a cable but brakes wont! have you tried differnt gears other than 1 such as reverse and forth?

Lifes one big laugh

Status
    sorry didnt see 2 other ppl replied while i was typing

Neutral

Status
    Ah yes, the handbrake should always work too!
    S3 8P remapped to 308bhp/395Nm, all the toys, but no buckets

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks for that guys, has put my mind at ease a bit. have tried putting it in reverse and it wont budge now. So its all good! Thanks again