abs sensor

zeeeebo

Lifes one big laugh
Reaction score
ran a vag on my car and it came up saying rear left speed sensor.
took the wheel off and disk etc took orignal sensor out and put new one in but the abs light is still on! also is it always really hard to take the orignal sensor out?

what could the problem be?
anyhelp would be awsome=)

Hi mate, yeah they are a pain in the a**e to take out, i smashed mine to bits when removing it.

I had similar problems a while back read this thread for a bit of advise

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=71644

try the fuses on top of the battery just to be sure its not anything relating to them.

Are there any other faults in vagcom?

Try cleaning the electrical connection with some wd40 or contact cleaner might be the cause.

yer my one is non existant now too! i found out inside there is ginger hair haha!!!

i will have a look at what you suggest tonight and let you knw!

does the abs sensor actually touch the abs plate on the wheel?
also which fuses do i check? just make sure they arent blown?

I don't think the sensor touches the abs ring, it just floats in front of it. Another thing worth checking is the cabling to the sensor, check for broken wires / brittle cables / bad connections. Had this on a friends MK4 Golf, he changed the sensor and still had the problem. We checked the cabling and found that the connector needed cleaning and once it was cleaned up the ABS light disappeared.

i've got the same problem as you zeeeebo, does your wheelspeed sensor look like this??

3777999315_ae75b65634.jpg

Cheers

yer alex it does. sorted mine tonight. took all the disk off etc again and had alook at the clearance. i got a rag and cleaned the abs wheel and now it works fine! how far have you got on your fitting alex?

I had a look behind the hub and just below the cv joint seems to be where the sensor is, but I can only see a grounding ring terminal which bolts on. i'm expecting to see a 2pon plug and a bolt so I'm a little confused!!

Am I looking at the right place?!

Cheers

If you take your disk off you can clearly see the sensor. Unplug the wire running into it and undo the Allen key holding the sensor in. Then it's just the simple task of taking the broken sensor out. I had to attack it with a hammer! Once you got it in all you have to do is put the new one in and then screw it in and connect the wwire and it's done:) give the abs wheel a good clean and put the disk back on:)

Zeeeebo,

Just been out to have a look at the sensor...

I can see the sensor, but the trigger disc is in front of it so I can't get at the sensor to push it out. Did you take the hub off??

From the back (inboard of the wheel) I can see the Allen bolt, but under the bolt head is a grounding terminal which hides the electrical connector, surely you have to undo the bolt before getting at the connector? Is there a way to disconnect the connector so I plug the new one in to 100% diagnose the problem?

It's looking like the car's going to the garage!! Oh well, more time to enjoy the sun!!

Cheers