1.8T Induction kit, I know it's been asked before

Markb

Reaction score
After seeing some pics I noticed this one:

http://www.planet-audi.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=676&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

http://www.planet-audi.net/photopost/data/500/230139-Stainless_Filter_1.JPG

I thought you couldn't run an induction kit because of the oil on the filter causing problems on the MAF sensor?

Or is this a filter without oil on it?

Is that heat shield around the filter a part you can buy or is it home made?

Finally which one would be the best one to buy? and do they effect performance?

Cheers

Mark

its just the oiled ones (foam are particularly bad) that can screw the MAF

i had a foam pipercross on my golf and it shot the airflow meter - £125 was the price to fix it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

some kits will come with a heat shield, IIRC the Jabba one does but its quite expensive - circa £200

i'd be interested to see if they affect performance myself, anyone know of any tests which have been done with the 'T' engine?

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Quickshift taipan does the job for me, quality bit of kit and at a good price too

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am however, changing mine for a BMC CDA to test it out. Its an oiled cotton filter, but is very lightly oiled so doesnt contaminate the MAF like others! The build quality of this is perfect! And comes with a very rigid cold air intake and a bracket for mounting it and comes in at only a few quid over the Taipan which gives 2 good, safe choices!

The BMC is completely black (well carbon fibre colour!) carbon fibre airbox with black composite end caps... quite stealthy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am presently creating an induction kit for mine.

I bought a second hand airbox and modifying it to accept an induction kit inside.

So far the new Green induction cone cost me £15 and the box £5..........I will keep you posted on how it goes!

Stick to the OEM filter or put in a K&N panel filter, then you won#t have to worry about your MAF!

i've been running my JBR taipan kit for at least 4 months now, and have been checking the MAF sensor at least once a month and there's nowt wrong with mine!!!!

My mates love the sound the kit makes also, very defferent from the norm especially with a good recirc fitted!!

Cheers for the advice.

Yeah I like the look of the BMC and one of my mates has got one on his Lupo GTi, but don't you require a seperate breather as it doesn't vent the gasses?

I thought the K&N Panel filter was still oiled?

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Yeah I like the look of the BMC and one of my mates has got one on his Lupo GTi, but don't you require a seperate breather as it doesn't vent the gasses?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. the AGU 1.8T doesnt vent to airbox so this is not a problem, and you just put a filter on the later ones and its sorted

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

No. the AGU 1.8T doesnt vent to airbox so this is not a problem, and you just put a filter on the later ones and its sorted

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich,

Finally got time to fit the breather filter yesterday evening (been driving w/o breather filter since I fitted the Taipan box, only a piece of foam to cover the hole). I noticed this morning that the RPM with a stationary running engine is about 1600 whereas it used to be 1200 (with cold engine). After a minute or so it drops to 900 or so (normal). I also noticed that my collapsing hose syndrome (see earlier post) is not that apparent anymore (???) can these two things be related with the breather filter being fitted???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rich,

Finally got time to fit the breather filter yesterday evening (been driving w/o breather filter since I fitted the Taipan box, only a piece of foam to cover the hole). I noticed this morning that the RPM with a stationary running engine is about 1600 whereas it used to be 1200 (with cold engine). After a minute or so it drops to 900 or so (normal). I also noticed that my collapsing hose syndrome (see earlier post) is not that apparent anymore (???) can these two things be related with the breather filter being fitted???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulikely mate... crankcase breather is just that...a breather so there really is no pressure in there. Could just be coincidence.

Rich