Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Markb's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midlands, Staffs
    Posts
    2,136

    1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    After seeing some pics I noticed this one:

    http://www.planet-audi.net/photopost...=1&cat=500

    http://www.planet-audi.net/photopost...s_Filter_1.JPG

    I thought you couldn't run an induction kit because of the oil on the filter causing problems on the MAF sensor?

    Or is this a filter without oil on it?

    Is that heat shield around the filter a part you can buy or is it home made?

    Finally which one would be the best one to buy? and do they effect performance?

    Cheers

    Mark

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Dean_T's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    523

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    its just the oiled ones (foam are particularly bad) that can screw the MAF

    i had a foam pipercross on my golf and it shot the airflow meter - 125 was the price to fix it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

    some kits will come with a heat shield, IIRC the Jabba one does but its quite expensive - circa 200

    i'd be interested to see if they affect performance myself, anyone know of any tests which have been done with the 'T' engine?

  4. #3
    Markb's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midlands, Staffs
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    Hmm still not sure.

    What do people recommend?

  5. #4
    Markb's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midlands, Staffs
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    Has anyone tried the jabbasport one? I think it's got its own heat shield as well.

  6. #5
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    305

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    Quickshift taipan does the job for me, quality bit of kit and at a good price too

  7. #6
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    [ QUOTE ]
    Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
    Quickshift taipan does the job for me, quality bit of kit and at a good price too


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yep [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

    I am however, changing mine for a BMC CDA to test it out. Its an oiled cotton filter, but is very lightly oiled so doesnt contaminate the MAF like others! The build quality of this is perfect! And comes with a very rigid cold air intake and a bracket for mounting it and comes in at only a few quid over the Taipan which gives 2 good, safe choices!

    The BMC is completely black (well carbon fibre colour!) carbon fibre airbox with black composite end caps... quite stealthy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]


  8. #7
    Mike.M's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    I am presently creating an induction kit for mine.

    I bought a second hand airbox and modifying it to accept an induction kit inside.

    So far the new Green induction cone cost me 15 and the box 5..........I will keep you posted on how it goes!

  9. #8
    Grant's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    Stick to the OEM filter or put in a K&N panel filter, then you won#t have to worry about your MAF!

  10. #9
    jayfrts's Avatar
    bouncing off the limiter!!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    92

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    i've been running my JBR taipan kit for at least 4 months now, and have been checking the MAF sensor at least once a month and there's nowt wrong with mine!!!!

    My mates love the sound the kit makes also, very defferent from the norm especially with a good recirc fitted!!

  11. #10
    Markb's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Midlands, Staffs
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    Cheers for the advice.

    Yeah I like the look of the BMC and one of my mates has got one on his Lupo GTi, but don't you require a seperate breather as it doesn't vent the gasses?

    I thought the K&N Panel filter was still oiled?

  12. #11
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    [ QUOTE ]
    Markb said:
    Yeah I like the look of the BMC and one of my mates has got one on his Lupo GTi, but don't you require a seperate breather as it doesn't vent the gasses?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No. the AGU 1.8T doesnt vent to airbox so this is not a problem, and you just put a filter on the later ones and its sorted

    Rich

  13. #12
    ANDYTQ's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    947

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    K&n's are oiled,if going for a panel filter use a green type,they are only lightly oiled and maf friendly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]Andy

  14. #13
    JayBeeS3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    114

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Markb said:
    Yeah I like the look of the BMC and one of my mates has got one on his Lupo GTi, but don't you require a seperate breather as it doesn't vent the gasses?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No. the AGU 1.8T doesnt vent to airbox so this is not a problem, and you just put a filter on the later ones and its sorted

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Hi Rich,

    Finally got time to fit the breather filter yesterday evening (been driving w/o breather filter since I fitted the Taipan box, only a piece of foam to cover the hole). I noticed this morning that the RPM with a stationary running engine is about 1600 whereas it used to be 1200 (with cold engine). After a minute or so it drops to 900 or so (normal). I also noticed that my collapsing hose syndrome (see earlier post) is not that apparent anymore (???) can these two things be related with the breather filter being fitted???

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

  15. #14
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: 1.8T Induction kit, I know it\'s been asked before

    [ QUOTE ]
    JayBeeS3 said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Markb said:
    Yeah I like the look of the BMC and one of my mates has got one on his Lupo GTi, but don't you require a seperate breather as it doesn't vent the gasses?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No. the AGU 1.8T doesnt vent to airbox so this is not a problem, and you just put a filter on the later ones and its sorted

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Hi Rich,

    Finally got time to fit the breather filter yesterday evening (been driving w/o breather filter since I fitted the Taipan box, only a piece of foam to cover the hole). I noticed this morning that the RPM with a stationary running engine is about 1600 whereas it used to be 1200 (with cold engine). After a minute or so it drops to 900 or so (normal). I also noticed that my collapsing hose syndrome (see earlier post) is not that apparent anymore (???) can these two things be related with the breather filter being fitted???

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Ulikely mate... crankcase breather is just that...a breather so there really is no pressure in there. Could just be coincidence.

    Rich

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO