Bose sounding cr**p ?

• Thread starter imported_roydonaldson
  • Start date
I

imported_roydonaldson

Hi there,

I'm now running around in a silver S3. I've had 2 previous A3's (1.8T sports) with the Bose system in them. They had the concert stereo's with a 6 disc panasonic changer on them. This sounded pretty resonable to me. It had some life to it and if you tuned the bass, it was ok, not too boomy, but cold be heard.

Now, on the S3, I have Bose, and the Symphony with the 6 disc slot loader in the dash and it just sounds plain awful. I've played with all the Tone controls as normal like you have to do with car stereo's and it still hasn't made any difference.

It sounds as if the bass box isn't doing anything at all. It also sounds like the source itself, the symphony CD player is a remarkably average CD source compared to my previous 6 disc panasonics.

Anyone had experience's of the Bose in their S3's sounding the same ? Could the bass box be disconnected for any reason ???

Roy.

I had the same problem with Bose in my A4. Each time the dealer replaced something, 3 days later is was back to crap.

Ended up replacing the HU & fitting a sub

The sub box isn't going to make that much difference whether it is working or not. When you say you have changed the tone settings were they the bose eq settings or just the treble and bass. I assume the headunit says bose when it switches on.

The set-up is never going to sound great, poor quality headunit, changer and speakers can be tweaked a bit but it is all basically crap.

I've tried the standard Bass, Middle, Treble settings on the head unit, but to be honest they make
very little in the way of a difference.

I have the Symphony with the 6 slot loader in the dash, so I don't know how to access the EQ settings as all the guides I've seen, show you holding button 5 down to get into it and of course, mine head unit has no numbers on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roy.

The Bose sub does make a huge difference (much better than the non-Bose sub) and if it isn't working the system will sound even more dreadful than usual as it is tuned to having the sub, so the cabin speakers are not designed to handle any bass.
You should be able to easily tell if the sub isn't working, just put your hand on the flimsy enclosure and you'll be able to feel the vibration (or not).
It has it's own 100w amp inside the enclosure so it could be faulty or previous owner could have disconnected it as it really does provide a very muddy sound. Check the black connector running down the far side (next to the speakers) is plugged in securely, it could have worked loose. I don't think it runs off a separate fused circuit and it certainly hasn't got a fuse on board the amp, but if you have no joy you can easily test the connections with a multimeter to check you have some juice flowing to it on the +12v & remote on pins (see below)

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
were they the bose eq settings or just the treble and bass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garethj,
What are the bose eq setting and where are they? I have the Bose system and didn't think there were any other settings, except Bass and Treble.

How do I change the EQ settings?