Secondary air pump

Effect

Reaction score
Can someone clarify yes or no does a post facelift have one of these or not ?

And if so where is it because it isnt where it would be on a pre facelift

Thanks
James

Im not sure where but i can find out... ive been told a number of times by audi it does have one.

Myself and my mechanically minded mate took off the plastic under tray after both havning had a look at a picture of what one looks like and neither of use could see it anywhere from underneath.

Does this mean it doesnt have one or that we are both stupid/blind ?

Regards
James

IT still shows it in etka for the 8L in 02 so yes its on facelift cars, just check the airbox for a 1.5 inch diameter tube coming of it & if so follow this & should take you to the pump, if not then hasnt got on that engine, but does show for 1.6/1.8 engines, they were a royal pain in **** for sure if they go wrong just for the noise they make, had 2 go can you believe it.

From the front of the car it's moved right and up on facelift S3's

I've had a good look on my 2002 S3 and can't see one. Looking at the parts catalogue, a secondary pump is not listed for BAM engines. That said, it is not listed for APY or AMK (pre-facelift) S3 engines either.

My 99/00 APY had secondary air pump 100%, so I know thats not true for sure.

It shows in 02 the following codes under secondary air pump search & as already stated check for the pipe of the airbox, if not there then no pump, I always believed it was removed from the facelift S3's:

1.6 litre - AVU, BFQ
1.8 litre - AUM, AUQ, APG, ARX, ARY

on the weekend i took mine off my apy engine and followed the procedure to drill out the pop rivets and replace them with bolts and its still making that horrible noise so need a new 1 but i was reading you can take them off but ill try source a secondhand 1 as they are quiet expensive

Thing is on the apy anyway the air pipe that goes to the pump splits & allows water in there well did on mine & thus the unit just fecks up big time & ridiculously noisy when running, so has to be swapped out, but make sure all piipes involved are checked for cracks/damage aswell when replacing pump as rivets dont solely remove noise they just go wrong anyway, another great design from audi.

I sourced one from a VW golf for our TQS was £20 delivered, same fittings and hose connections, slightly different design and no rivets to come loose on this one

£20 delivered, thats a deal or what cause they're few hundred from audi.

Aye, it was a bit of a punt at that price, but the car is happy with it, the MIL light has stayed away since fitting it so all good here

Forge do a blanking plate for the head so you can remove it the pump, only £18 ish

How will this cope when it comes to the MOT?

Anyone done this mod?