Headlights / bulbs - differences within 8L

SixDegrees

Reaction score
Got really confused today.. I was looking at upgrading the bulbs so went to

www.carbulbsdirect.com and www.powerbulbs.com

Both state that the dipped beam is an H7 and the high beam is either H4 (1996-1999) or H1 (2000-2003).

My car is a 2001. My dipped beam matches the look of an H1 and my main (high) beam match an H7 in appearance. Also, my dipped beam is the inner most followed by high beam then sidelight (from grille outwards).

This is different than the websites and my bruvs cars which is 1998 A3 Sport - his dipped is in the middle and high beam is closest to the grille.

Can anyone confirm what the differences are / changes were to the headlights when there was a facelift between 1999 and 2000.

I though maybe migh lights had been wired up wrong but looking at the connectors, wires and casing they can be.

:)

Ok im going to go into as uch detail as possible with the 8L series of car from Audi....

Starting with the A3

1996 - 1999 on a prefacelift the headlight looks like this...
Untitled.jpg

The bulbs that are needed for this are as follows:

Dipped (main) - H7

Full Beam - H1 bulb if your headlight switch looks like this
DSC009082.jpg

Full Beam - H4 if your headlight switch looks like this
DSC00908.jpg

The H4 bulb has two filaments and accomodates for the front fogs aswell as the full beam.

A3

On a 2000 - 2003 Facelift The headlight looks like this...
fk20angel20a3208l20facelift202.jpg

The bulbs that are needed are as follows:

Dipped (main) - H1

Full Beam - H7 Only one size as the facelift cars with front fogs have them integrated into the lower bumper apron.

S3 1999 - 2000 On a Pre-facelift have these headlamps
Pre.jpg

Dipped (main) - D2S (xenon gas)
Full beam - H1 (normal halogen)

On the 2001 - 2003 Facelift This is the headlamp style (exactly the same as A3 Facelift)

With the bulb sizes being

Dipped (main) - D2S (xenon)

Full Beam - H1 (normal halogen)

The S3 Pre-facelift and Facelift both come with front fogs as standard therefore the headlight switch looks similar to this...
DSC00908.jpg

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Essexman
Thansk, excellent explanation...... but when I physically look at the bulbs the dipped resembles an H1 not H7 and vice-versa for the high beam.

H7 - fatter, larger back plate
H1 - longer, skinny, wee'r bulb

I'll get pics......

Many Thanks

:)

Last edited:
I think your right it is the other way round.

Resurrecting the dead here.

Can anyone confirm if the above is incorrect?

Prefacelift A3 headlights looks to have 4 bulbs!

It looks like
H4 foglight
Under that looks like a H1 full beam
H7 Dipped beam
Indicator bulb

Early glass faced lights may well have had the fogs built in like my old A4 did...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Essexman
On a preface light a3

Side light - 501
Dipped beam - h7
Main beam and fog light - h4
Indicator -581

Reactions: Essexman and antwan64og
Sorry to hijack but am I right in thinking that the facelift S3 is the only one to have xenons as standard ???

I have a 1999 a3 and the h7 dont fit dip beam. I have 3 connecting terminals on the bulbs that are on the car now. The h7s only have 2.

I have a 1999 a3 and the h7 dont fit dip beam. I have 3 connecting terminals on the bulbs that are on the car now. The h7s only have 2.

Look on the front of the bulb that was in there, it says what bulb it is on it.

Are you sure you're looking at the right bulb? The H4 fog-lights/full beam have three connectors.
The H7 has two connectors.

On ther prefacelift A3, the inner most lights are Fog/full beam H4, under that is the 501 side light, on the outer is the H7 main beam.

The picture above in this thread doesn't match the pre-face lift A3.

When you decide which bulbs you need, I highly recommend Ozram night breakers, I had them on my old A3 and they were superb, gave realy good light, the next best thing I fount to xenons.

th
Ok im going to go into as uch detail as possible with the 8L series of car from Audi....

Starting with the A3

1996 - 1999 on a prefacelift the headlight looks like this...
Untitled.jpg

The bulbs that are needed for this are as follows:

Dipped (main) - H7

Full Beam - H1 bulb if your headlight switch looks like this
DSC009082.jpg

Full Beam - H4 if your headlight switch looks like this
DSC00908.jpg

The H4 bulb has two filaments and accomodates for the front fogs aswell as the full beam.

A3

On a 2000 - 2003 Facelift The headlight looks like this...

The bulbs that are needed are as follows:

Dipped (main) - H1

Full Beam - H7 Only one size as the facelift cars with front fogs have them integrated into the lower bumper apron.

S3 1999 - 2000 On a Pre-facelift have these headlamps
Pre.jpg

Dipped (main) - D2S (xenon gas)
Full beam - H1 (normal halogen)

On the 2001 - 2003 Facelift This is the headlamp style (exactly the same as A3 Facelift)

With the bulb sizes being

Dipped (main) - D2S (xenon)

Full Beam - H1 (normal halogen)

The S3 Pre-facelift and Facelift both come with front fogs as standard therefore the headlight switch looks similar to this...
DSC00908.jpg

Hope this helps!!

Its says above that the A3 facelift and the S3 facelift are the same however on the front they look the same and have a projector lense like the xenons. But on the A3 facelift headlights it takes a H1 and H7 ?? And not a D2S on the dipped beam so i gather this means the A3 facelift and S3 faceligt look the same at the front but house different bulb fittings ?

th

Its says above that the A3 facelift and the S3 facelift are the same however on the front they look the same and have a projector lense like the xenons. But on the A3 facelift headlights it takes a H1 and H7 ?? And not a D2S on the dipped beam so i gather this means the A3 facelift and S3 faceligt look the same at the front but house different bulb fittings ?

S3 facelift dip beam uses a 2" projector and a D2S xenon bulb... A3 facelift dip beam uses a 2.5" projector and a H1 halogen bulb

<tuffty/>

S3 facelift dip beam uses a 2" projector and a D2S xenon bulb... A3 facelift dip beam uses a 2.5" projector and a H1 halogen bulb

<tuffty/>

Hi tuffty
I have got myself a set of facelift S3 headlights ... toook some ****** searching lol but got some in the end ... the projector on them is in poor condition my question is is the projector/lense the same size as the pre facelift S3 ones ? As i can take the old projectors/lense out of my current ones
Cheers nick

Hi tuffty
I have got myself a set of facelift S3 headlights ... toook some ****** searching lol but got some in the end ... the projector on them is in poor condition my question is is the projector/lense the same size as the pre facelift S3 ones ? As i can take the old projectors/lense out of my current ones
Cheers nick
I have no idea tbh without having them side by side to look at

<tuffty/>