Worrying engine vibration

V.I.P_UAE

Reaction score
My engine is vibrating, leading to the whole car shaking weather it's on tickover or revving, when lifting of the accelerator or in motion.

Dosen't feel anything like a engine mounting.

Engine sounds bad, power is there but not running right like the revs not dropping quickly and wont go in to gear easily when changing quickly.

Clutch / Flywheel?

If all four cylinders aren't working then I would suspect a coil pack for the spark plugs.

If the cylinders are firing okay, then maybe you have a broken engine mount. When the engine is switched off and cold, remove the top engine cover and grab the cylinder head. Try to move the engine forwards and backwards with your hands. It should be solid. If it is moving, then this would shake the car and make gear changes difficult as the gear cables will be moving about too much.

So you are in UAE? Are there many S3s out there? I've not seen a single one since living in Oman.

All four cylinders work fine, its just a constant vibration.

I'm gonna take it to the dealer this afternoon.

Your right, in the UAE there are no S3's at all, all I know of is a yellow one in Abu Dhabi, I think mine was imported a few years ago then Gulf Spec'd.

So you live in Oman? what do you do there? you may see my S3 there by next week when I take the Mrs to do a Visa run. I live in Dubai and work in Abu Dhabi..

Worst thing is I spent a fortune getting the car right and its up for sale at the moment so I can get something bigger to do the commute between Dubai & Abu Dhabi on that crazy highway , and it started doing it on a test drive.

If all four cylinders aren't working then I would suspect a coil pack for the spark plugs.

If the cylinders are firing okay, then maybe you have a broken engine mount. When the engine is switched off and cold, remove the top engine cover and grab the cylinder head. Try to move the engine forwards and backwards with your hands. It should be solid. If it is moving, then this would shake the car and make gear changes difficult as the gear cables will be moving about too much.

So you are in UAE? Are there many S3s out there? I've not seen a single one since living in Oman.

I guess if the cylinders are all running and the mounts are okay, then it could well be a rotating component failure. Are you getting any loud knocking noises apart from any noises from the shaking of the car?

I would at least take a look at the dog bone mount under the gearbox the bolts to the front subframe. Could be loose.

What does anyone do out here?.....work for the oil and gas industry. I'm in the South, close to Salalah at the moment. Will be in Muscat next week for a few days...I'll keep an eye out :)
I've thought about importing something. Oman charge zero tax to import cars from the UK as they have an agreement. I know a guy who'll stick a car on his boat for about 600 Rials.
It's tempting, but I can't use it down here as you need a 4x4 truck for the graded roads.

Good luck finding the source of your problem.

Masalama sadikh.

Turned out to be the clutch / flywheel..

great, another Grand !!

I have just removed my flywheel , it seems to have a worn a grove about 0.5mm deep, is it safe to skim it flat again or is it scrap?

what do you think?

im in the process of having my clutch changed. just woundered if you changed your flywheel because of the groove and what milleage is on your car?