A3 1.8T Sport Chipping

Sorry for posting this twice, but I didn't see this post earlier.
I need some advice on how to interpret and compare dyno plots for torque especially.
I saw one on the Star performance for a 1998 a3 like mine. It was APR 190 bhp/197lbs torque(4400rpm). Then I had a look at an oettinger one on their website. It was something like 195 bhp/ 213lbs torque(3400rpm).
So regarding the torque which I suppose is more important in everyday driving- how do the two peak torque figures compare. Am I right in thinking the Oettinger accelerates faster than APR but the APR continues to climb through higher revs than the oettinger.
And which, therefore, should be quicker from 0-60mph say. Or between 30-50mph perhaps.

uuuummmmmmm.....sometimes you need to see a complete dyno plot to see how the torque compares.

But as you can see the Oettinger map has the peak torque lower down in the range, but it also spreads it well allowing good acceleration when motorway cruising in 5th, where as the APR map you'll need to work a bit harder.

It's hard to say which is the best or the quickest, but a recorded 6.49 seconds 0-60 and 15.29 for the 1/4 three days after the chip speaks for itself with the Oettinger. The times are for a car with a chip only, which as far as I am aware is quite quick. These times were quite a bit quicker than a identical A3T with an AmD remap, but it's hard to tell how much is to do with the driver.....

www.ccctech.co.uk

Speak to Simon Coe he is the man - will drive to you whether at work or home and fit an Upsolute Chip (www.upsolute.com) giving you approx 190bhp for £305.00!!!!!!!! Very friendly and helpful also does replacement DV's etc.

Contact him via the website.

Have fun

BigT

No a friend of mine had his car done and was mightily impressed so i booked mine in but unfortunately was called away on business so had to cancel. It will be done very soon and would have no hesitation in recommending Simon. Give him a phone and you will see what i mean.

He was going to come to my work all the way from Leeds way down to Bristol fit it map it and then go home all for £305.00!!!

Around the 800 quid mark I think...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I had my old golf re-mapped by jabba and it produced 232BHP @ 1bar boost pressure. It was a VVT 150BHP model. They said the VVT's also use a slightly larger turbo like the TT180/OctaviaVRS/Anniverssary(spell?) kkk03S i think as opposed to a KKK03etc etc.

It showed 170BHP standard though, so maybe the rollers are a little optimistic or i had a super fit car - who can be sure?

I would thouroughly reccomend jabbasport though as they were superb and Mike isn't known as 'The Professor' for nothing!

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
I had my old golf re-mapped by jabba and it produced 232BHP @ 1bar boost pressure. It was a VVT 150BHP model. They said the VVT's also use a slightly larger turbo like the TT180/OctaviaVRS/Anniverssary(spell?) kkk03S i think as opposed to a KKK03etc etc.

It showed 170BHP standard though, so maybe the rollers are a little optimistic or i had a super fit car - who can be sure?

I would thouroughly reccomend jabbasport though as they were superb and Mike isn't known as 'The Professor' for nothing!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take a look to the top of this page you'll see that there's no K03S, all it is that the compressor wheel is bigger.

It would seem that the rollers are a bit optimistic, but to be honest it doesn't matter, as the important fact as stated earlier is the gain which you get, which in your case is a consistent with what most tuners offer for the later turbo/VVT engines around the 60hp mark.

It's also worth noting that Borgwarner (KKK) Turbo systems technical support informed me that the upper limits for the early K03 is around the 195hp mark and 215hp mark for the later K03, and by upper I'm referring to overspeeding of the turbo.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif