Passenger speaker

Pinola

Reaction score
I have recently purchased my first Audi (2001, S3) however my passenger door speaker does not work. :( Is this a common fault and what should I check before taken it in to have it fixed. I looked at the cables going through the door and they seem fine it's not even intermittent which would indicate (loose/broken wire) just not working at all.
It's the Bose system and the tweeter in that door is working fine.

Dan

Suggests to me either a blown speaker in the door, or could just be the plug on the back of the speaker has popped off.

Best thing is the take the door panel off and have a look. It's only a coule of screws under the handle and one either end of the panel, then it just lifts off. Then un-clip the door release handle rod and unplug the electrics and then the panel just lifts off and the speaker is on the back of the panel.

If the connector seems OK, then unplug it and get a multimeter on it to check the resistance. Should be ~2ohms. An open circuit means it's blown.

Cheers,

Alistair

Yes it has to be at the speaker end if the tweeter works ok as they run off the same cable from the amp. The cable splits where it plugs into the woofer, with the tweeter piggybacking off the main speaker. Sounds most likely to be a blown woofer, you can pick them up on ebay for about £10-£15, don't let a dealer near it, they'll replace the whole system and it'll cost a fortune.

No definately not, the front A3 Bose drivers look like this:
BoseA3frontspeaker.jpg

Not sure on the part number but they are very similar to the Bose 802 PA speakers (but with a 2 ohm impedance) and also the drivers in your sub. There are lots of different variations so best searching local breakers or waiting on ebay. Call your dealer and they'll give you the part number (and also a price that will make you **** yourself).

I have the bose system and have distorted (crackle) sound from the front passenger speaker only. The tweeter is sounding fine through. I had a look today while replacing the broken window clip! and had around 1.7 ohms from the speaker whilst disconnected. I have read the other replies so is
2 ohm's the norm?. I looked for splits in the material etc all seem fine and also replaced the crimps but it is still sounding the same s**t.

All advice always appreciated

Thanks

Yes 2 ohm is the standard impedance on the Bose speakers. Although the crackle is usually due to dry solder joints on the Bose amp, if the tweeter sounds fine (which is made by Nokia not Bose) then it has to be the speaker as they run off the same wiring.

The crackle is noticeable on low volume. Could you tell me where the amp is located I heard it is on the right hand side cubby hole but found nothing but a loom of cables. On the other side left hand above the sub woofer (base box) there are black and also white blocks (side by side) with cables coming out of them anyone know what these are for?

Cheers.

the amp is in the righthand cubbyhole, but right down the side (you'll only see the top of it) directly behind the rear light. You need to remove the boot trim to get to the bottom bolt holding it. The blocks above the sub are for the alarm controller and the rear lights.
But as said above if the tweeter sounds fine then it cannot be the amp or the wiring causing the crackling, the tweeter runs off the same channel on the amp and uses the same cable.

Okay I should have tested this out with one of the bassbox speakers when I had all the door card off, but I only relised this when I was looking today for the amp. the speaker does sound alright with the volume up and faded to the rear. The tweeter is working but hard to tell if that is suffering any interferance. It does almost sound like interferance through.The head unit has been out a few times in the past and i am using the mute wire for the telephone could a trapped or shorting wire here cause this problem?.

Thanks mate.

If it sounds OK with the volume up and is only crackling at low volume then that does sound like a dry solder joint on the amp, or possibly a dirty connector between the amp and speaker. Jacking the volume up increases the current and overcomes the bad connection or dry joint. Dry joint problems are usually worse when the amp is stone cold as well. Is the problem worse when you first turn the HU on?
You'll struggle to get one of the sub speakers out without removing a shedload of trim, easier to test it first with any speaker you have lying around just to prove if it's the speaker, amp or wiring.

is it possible to use a speaker out of the sub in the door or will they not work?

is it possible to use a speaker out of the sub in the door or will they not work?
I am pretty sure they are the same, but then you'll have a sub that will sound terrible (even more than normal).

As said the crackle is usually the amp not the speaker, if the problem recurrs with a new speaker then it would point to a dry solder joint on the amp.

There are loads of subs on ebay but no single speakers so if i buy a sub i get 2 speakers as long as they will work

I will have a Bose sub in my workshop in a few days so will post the part number, the part number for the Bose front speaker is 8L0 035 411, Audi want £102.99 for one!

Also be aware that lots of the so called Bose subs on ebay are actually the non Bose ones. If it has a metal front with a single speaker it's non Bose. Bose subs have the 2 x 4" drivers with a black plastic front.

Thanks for your replies Andy,

Mine has had this problem for sometime now. It does not seem Tobe getting any worse. I can live with it. I thought it was worth a shot to look at the amp but it seems like a lot of bother just to get to it. It is most properly the dry solder joint like you said, maybe the speaker which had a ohm reading of 1.7 fingers crossed it and the others hold out other wise I will be rummaging through my local scrap yard for a replacement if the amp turns out expensive to repair. Are the amps made by Bose and is it a standard type throughout the 8L audi models?

Cheers

Well the Bose sub speakers are different, no reference to an Audi part number, just the Bose part no. 109638k, which is the same as the drivers in their 802/402 PA speakers. The impedance is a mere 0.7 ohms!

:( no good then cheers andy for checking it out

Ok at last thought I had found some front Bose speakers from eBay but when they turned up this is what I got, as you can see they won’t fit my car are they even front speakers for the s3

imag0096l.jpg

imag0100a.jpg

Hi Pinola/Dan - have you had any joy yet?
I have a carbon copy of your problem, and was about to buy the same speakers as you did in the picture above. Are they the rear speakers?
I'm looking around, but the stealers are beginning to look like the only immediate option.:(

This is the price from dealer part no 8L0 035 411 £102.99 :( if i'm goona spend 102 i may as well go for an after market set that will be better