Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1252555657585960616263646566676869 LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,480 of 2733
Like Tree678Likes

Thread: My minor modding thread

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Perfect! Just make sure when it expands it doesn't burn the bumper like mine lol!
    <tuffty/> and martin_can like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Little more today...

I had already replaced the exhaust lifters as there was a little bit of odd wear on the cyl 4 ones... when I rebuilt the head I had an inlet lifter drop its centre when I took it from the box... put it together hoping it would be fine then read about the issues Scullies had with a missfire having found a similar lifter issue... this of course bothered me so bought a new set of inlet lifters too

So stripped off the manifolds and cam cover (needed to anyway as the manifold goes off this week to be finished)

Good job I decided to do this as when I lifted out the 11th lifter the centre kinda stayed there :/

The culprit for whatever reason is a little clip that had come off and stayed inside the bucket... clearly no good would come of this...

Nice new ones ready to go back in...

...as I was in the mood for working on heads I stripped another one that was lying about and fitted super tech valve train to it :D

Loaded my wheels and tyres into the racing Golf ready for a trip to the powder coaters tomorrow...

<tuffty/>
    S3Alex likes this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Have you searched for any info on why the lifters can come apart in the engine?
    I couldn't find any info on the web

My theories are either, the oil pressure is pushing the internal part of the lifter out of its socket or the valve stem is forcing the internal part into the lifter and causing the clip to be dislodged.
    Plausable?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    Have you searched for any info on why the lifters can come apart in the engine?
    I couldn't find any info on the web

My theories are either, the oil pressure is pushing the internal part of the lifter out of its socket or the valve stem is forcing the internal part into the lifter and causing the clip to be dislodged.
    Plausable?
    No mate... I have done many many 20v heads and this is the first one I have seen do this... even on lifters with mileage so I put it down to a faulty lifter and just changed them as a set

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Another day off to get stuff done... loaded the Racing Golf up with my wheels to take to City Powder Coaters...

At £20 a wheel plus £5 to fit and balance the tyres I couldn't really be bothered to pursue painting them as it would end up costing me more in paint to get the finish I want... went for the plain silver rather than the sparkly silver as the sparkly effect was very sparkly and a little ott for me

Bumped into JoJo at Maccy D's too (crap selfie pic alert!)

The Golf was faultless on the journey (some 130 odd miles round trip)... not too shabby for a 22 yr old little 1.3

Back at Bills around midday and cracked on with pulling the mock up engine/box from the car...

After my initial selfie fail with JoJo, I gave it another go with the lesser quattro'd Mark...

Then Mr Wellings of Wellycooler fame popped in...

Slightly failed selfie in empty engine bay pic...

...and thats it until the weekend... more stuff on order and a couple more days off next week to pick up wheels and see if I can get a little closer to getting the engine in the car...

...and I finished off fitting the supertech valves to the customers head too ;P

<tuffty/>
    StaceyS3 likes this.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    went a bit happy with the selfies there? hahaha
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Vent pod boost gauge, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave (RIP) adjustable tie bars, FMIC

Soon to be done: SAI delete, 3" Catback, Stage 2 remap

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status

What an amazing update
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavis89 View Post
    went a bit happy with the selfies there? hahaha
    Bet you wish you were as down with the kids as me lol...

<tuffty/>

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    the only selfie i can ever actually remember taking was today!

Took advantage when there was a couple hours of sun to give it a quick wipe over and polish with SRP so thought i would take the standard reflection in the door selfie
    <tuffty/> likes this.
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Vent pod boost gauge, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave (RIP) adjustable tie bars, FMIC

Soon to be done: SAI delete, 3" Catback, Stage 2 remap

Rarely neutral

Status
    I have to say...this thread is pure art.

I wish someone made exhaust manifolds for the 8P that looked even halfway as good.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I have to say...this thread is pure art.

I wish someone made exhaust manifolds for the 8P that looked even halfway as good.
    thanks mate... the guy welding mine up (I can tack stuff but not actual weld lol) is planning a tfsi one but he hasn't got a car to work from as yet...

<tuffty/>
    S3Alex likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Now then! Bit booked up at present... doing the final welding on tufty s mani plus another 3 in the mix! So if your serious Dave we can do you one in a couple of months.....

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    More of the little jobs done this weekend..

The threads in the engine mount (the crappy one that gets in the way of cam belt changes) were pretty much non existent... in fairness its been off a few times and the threads don't seem to last more than a couple of belt changes before showing signs of failing...

So bought a helicoil kit and set about sorting it...

Drilled out the holes

Tapped then with the supplied tap...

...and screwed in a couple of helicoils (they were 16.5mmm deep so used two for better thread contact on bolt)

Next I removed my gearbox from the the build engine for cleaning...

Gave it a good going over with a water based detergent, stiff brush and a scotch brite pad then power washed it...

Finished off with a wire brush... not 'clean' but paintable at least...

Unfortunately I spotted a small issue... there were a couple of small cracks on the oil filler boss

I think this could be due to the filler plugs being metal rather than the later ones which are plastic and there has been some sort of reaction or expansion that has caused this damage to occur... just as well I am planning on rebuilding another box then really... I have a low mileage (40k) 02m FWD box from a Leon that I will use the internals of to build a quatty box...

Bill has a broken 02M quatty box (selector fork and a dodgy syncro)... Hoping this might be available as a donor for the build...

That won't be for a little while yet though as I want the car up and running first...

I also decided to replace all the engine mount bolts as they are supposed to be a one use affair but I am still on the originals so all things considered they are being retired...

Mounts waiting to be blasted for painting :P

Last job of the day is to change the inboard CV boot... I didn't remove the shaft tis time as to be fair I wasn't struggling for access...

Cleaned the joint of grease (that stuff gets everywhere!!!) and refitted with new grease and the new boot...

Greased up the back of the joint and fitted the new cap...

So thats it for now... a few more little jobs and a bit more fabrication left to do... still waiting on a few parts... manifold is having the last bits welded up so should be back soon then I can see if I have any money left to ceramic coat it lol... have ordered a replacement OE heat shield which I am hoping will arrive soon as it was on back order...

Might get a bit of paint on the box tomorrow morning as I have other stuff to do in the afternoon... Tuesday I am off to pick up the wheels from the powder coaters... hopefully they will have come out ok but tbh the damage on one rim might not be easy to sort..

No matter... I am keeping an eye out for another set of RSTT's with a mind to get them perfect..

<tuffty/>
    S3Alex, Gops, StaceyS3 and 1 others like this.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I still have my old box if you need one mate City powdercoaters giving a warranty?
    <tuffty/> likes this.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Are you back from Brum yet???

How are the wheels looking?

RIP S3dave

Status
    tomoz wheel collection I think
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

RIP S3dave

Status
    oh yes he has -

I may have been a bad influence on messer tuffty on this one.. (as I painted badgerwagens gbox way back)

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Down under

Status
    Driveshafts could do with a lick of paint
    <tuffty/> and s3dave like this.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    With this new 2.0 engine and GT35 turbo it will be so much faster and will be so much cleaner with everything been painted that everyone thats waiting to see it go up the strip will never see it happen as Paul will be under the car polishing his sump and gearbox
    Last edited by Andrew@A.L.D; 4th February 2014 at 07:22.
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Paul will be under the car polishing his sump and gearbox
    while everyone looking at this master piece will be polishing their "stumps/gear "knobs"
    <tuffty/> likes this.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Went and got the wheels today...

Compared to a rather knackered set of OE finished RSTT's

Considering the price (£20 per wheel plus £10 if they have to remove/refit a tyre) the finish is very good... there were a few issues though...

They had powder coated the mounting face of the wheel... this can be a problem do to heat softening the powder coat and allowing the wheel to move a little which can lead to wheel wobble at best or if enough can effectively release the torque of the bolts which then come loose.... plan will be to sand the coating off at a later date...

There are also a few little imperfections here and there...

I treated them to some poorboys of course...

I was about to fit them and discovered a small issue...

They had fitted the tyres incorrectly... rather than pairing them per axle, they paired them side to side!!... ffs!...

You may also notice that two of the tyres are pretty much had it... they are legal enough to get the car on the road and the engine run in... once thats done I will be replacing the old 452's and will get the others swapped so they are paired on a axle...

As a comparison I took a few pics of the sparkle silver... it does look quite cool but its a little OTT for me...

I think I made the right colour choice personally

In other news... the engine mount blocks came back from super George having been blasted

And the new OE heatshield turned up too...

Plan is to use this as a second layer to my old one to improve heat management...

Thats it until the weekend... gearbox will get a few coats of the same black as the block, mounts will get a bit of paint too... few more things I am waiting on (manifold, flexis and a clutch plate) but should be able to get all the heat shielding in place... I want to build most of the bits onto the engine before I put it back in the car so it will be after the manifold is done/ceramic coated/wrapped (whatever I have case left for lol)

<tuffty/>

LORD

Status

My Social Networking

Add limbo118118 on Facebook
    looking good matey! do you plan on just having the heat shield in the standard location or you having anymore anywhere such as by brake master cyclinder area? iv just fitted some g2 layer heatshield on my s3 very impressed with it and planning on putting OE shielding somewhere else. can never have too much :D

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I've not had a problem with the powder coated mounting face on my car Paul.
    <tuffty/> likes this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo118118 View Post
    looking good matey! do you plan on just having the heat shield in the standard location or you having anymore anywhere such as by brake master cyclinder area? iv just fitted some g2 layer heatshield on my s3 very impressed with it and planning on putting OE shielding somewhere else. can never have too much :D
    I do plan to fit heatshielding in other place yeah... the OE position on the K04 cars is pretty good so pointless reinventing the wheel there... any place where heat will be an issue (everywhere essentially) will get shielding in some form or other...

Have learnt a lot about heat management over the years on my own car and customers cars... half the reason this evolution of the build id taking so long is because I am trying to make sure all I have learnt about this stuff is done right on mine... and obviously waiting for paint to dry takes time

<tuffty/>

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    you only do 12 miles a year.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Byzan View Post
    you only do 12 miles a year.
    They are hard miles Mark, inc track work, no issues personally speaking.
    Broken Byzan and daz-20vt like this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Not saying its bad dude just pointing out a couple of things... overall I am happy with the result... its a cheap and effective way of getting your wheels looking good...

Should also mention that the thickness of the powder coating also made fitting the spacers tight in the centre bore... I did torque then undo and re-torque the bolts to be sure...

Just something to be aware of when refitting the wheels is all... only real issue for me was the mounting face being coated... have experienced issues when I painted my disc bells and the paint softened causing horrendous wobble while driving and large amount of juddering under braking... powder coat is a little more heat resistant but we have had issues with powder coated cam covers on BT builds were the coating softened from the heat and a few screws backed out causing an oil leak... this is why I normally clean paint off all contact surfaces where something is bolted...

<tuffty/>
    jojo likes this.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I see a dirty spot you missed
    badger5 and sssline like this.
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Rarely neutral

Status
    thanks mate... the guy welding mine up (I can tack stuff but not actual weld lol) is planning a tfsi one but he hasn't got a car to work from as yet...

<tuffty/>
    Maybe I or he(or preferably both of us) would be interested in trying that....when he's finished yours of course,or even better,I could get one of the ones I currently use,and have him see what he can do with that as a template?

RIP S3dave

Status
    there is a tfsi in house
    S3Alex likes this.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    there is a tfsi in house
    I like to get around!

Thing is,no matter how much you think you know about your own car,seeing what others are doing often helps,and you guys have such a wealth of modding and building experience behind you,where the TFSi is a bit short on some areas like exhaust and inlet manifolds....

Please......keep up the good work!

I'm seriously looking forwards to the results for several builds here.

RIP S3dave

Status
    thats why I bought myself a TFSi car to be development mule..
    time remains my enemy as usual..

lots of ideas, so much less time to try them out.
    S3Alex likes this.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    thats why I bought myself a TFSi car to be development mule..
    time remains my enemy as usual..

lots of ideas, so much less time to try them out.
    My problem is time too.....just fitting it in between my work,and AMD's schedule is difficult at times(my fault,not theirs) but it all adds up,doesn't it!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Bit more done...

Start as you mean to go on... painting stuff...

Then moved onto the heatshielding... double layered the OE one using a new OE part.. this will have a bit of an airgap to help limit heat transfer but the double layer will be beneficial too...

Need to add a bit more here...

Added a bit more to the rack on the side the wastegate pipework will go down...

...main part of the heatshielding done...

Looks a little patchy but its that way due to thin alloy sheet being a ballache to shape as one piece lol...

Still need to look at doing a bit round by the brake master cylinder but will wait until the engine is in so I can make sure it fits properly as its quite tight in that corner...

Next I separated the EVAP pipe from the coolant return pipe as my EVAP vents to air currently anyway and I plan to remove the canister and put the fuel filter there in its place...

Fitted it in place... plan is to run a bit a heatshielding up from behind the OE piece and bolt it up onto this bracket...

Last thing I did was to look at what I need for adapting the RS4 MAF tube to 100mm... Bill had one adaptor already but I will need another for the other side...

Test fit onto the filter...

And a little comparison of the RS4 and S3 MAF tubes

Getting there... will be ordering a clutch plate tomorrow and have mineral oil and some other stuff on order too... hoping that my manifold will be ready for next weekend so I can wrap it... decided against ceramic coating at this time for a few reasons... well... 400 of them to be exact as thats more or less what Zircotec want to do it!!! plus a 10-15 "working" day turnaround... I got a quote from the same place Stacey got his done which was more favourable but at the moment I want to just get the car back on the road and money is a little short so wrapping will do the job and will also allow the manifold to settle... I don't expect any issues but just in case at least it can be easily welded without an expensive ceramic coating on it..

Also need to sort the flexi's for the coolant line and oil drain from a local fella...

All things being well I should be able to pop the engine into the car next weekend sometime :D

<tuffty/>

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Funny I was staring that evap line out for a good ten minutes thinking, should I get rid, should I leave it. I'm gonna remove it.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow fanta On Twitter Add fanta on Facebook Add fanta on Google+ Visit fanta's Youtube Channel Visit fanta's Instagram Channel
    Can you do it all again with videos next time?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fanta View Post
    Can you do it all again with videos next time?
    If I did that I'd probably never get the car actually finished lol...

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Had a few odds and sods turn up this week...

Mineral oil and cheap filters for running the engine in... and a new clutch plate...

Decided that my old Falkens were past their sell by date so ordered a new pair of Hankooks (same as the good ones I have currently) as they were on a good deal at Camskill...

I plan to replace these at a later date (when funds allow) for 235/40/18's (currently 225/40/18) to get a little more rubber on the ground and the slightly taller sidewalls should be a bit more pothole friendly...

I have plans for further suspension mods... I am not a particularly press on driver but enjoy a bit of a 'spirited' drive so I am not going to go mental at this time... I am collecting poly pushes and stuff to freshen everything up and will be giving the caster adjust bushes from superpro (like prawn) a go as well as looking at swapping the rear ARB for a 16mm 4-motion one (std is 15mm)... after doing a bit of research it would appear that just fitting the 19mm R32 rear ARB can make the car feel unstable at speed so a bit of further reading suggests the 16mm will give a little bit of balance back without going OTT with it... I am not worried about going too silly with handling at this time as I have yet to really push the car and lets face it I would need to take it on a track which as most people who know me will tell you is not sometign I am really that interested in lol

In other news... I found the source of a bit of a knocking feeling that I got occasionally through the steering wheel... nearside front drop link had a worn ball joint so bought a pair of very cheap replacements from eBay knowing that if they last a year then I would have easily got my moneys worth out of them and if they last longer then its a bonus... (they were a tenner delivered!)

The list of little jobs is steadily getting smaller... if all goes well then the engine and box will be mated sunday and my manifold back so I can wrap it and fit it to the engine ready to go in the car... Monday I will pop over to the hose guy and sort out the flexi's and the engine and box should be back in the car by close of play... excited much :D

<tuffty/>
    g60leigh, StaceyS3 and sssline like this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    have just spent a good number of hours working through this thread. i have to say mate, youve got some patients...but then i suppose doing this sort of build you have to have. Unbelievable how OEM the bay still looks...brilliant work from you and bill!!!
    looking forward to seeing the final stages come together
    <tuffty/> likes this.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    <tuffty/> likes this.