Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: limbo118118 and superkarl
Ideal. We don't have that option welding things in situ on the boats, leaves some interesting gaps to fill up! Looking forward to seeing this all put together and on the rollers

The lads at Nortec are great, Ive been there a few times as its local to me,
Regarding the front/side exit exhaust... the look and sound stupid, Im not even a fan of screamer pipes, I would always have the waste gate exit go into the exhaust again.

You can rest assured I will not be having a side exit exhaust, screamer pipe or running 40psi :)

<tuffty/>

Had a day off work today to have a faff with the manifold in the car to see if it fits, what clearance issues I may have and where the wastegate might go...

Thankfully there appears to be quite a lot of room... I had to remove the transfer box bracket as the box attached to the mock up block is the older alloy type and I built the mani to my later (and modified) steel one... once removed the mani fitted perfectly..
20131206_144319.jpg

20131206_144329.jpg

I knew the bracket for the OE heatshielding would need attention...
20131206_1456200.jpg

...so a bit of tweaking later...
20131206_151114.jpg

20131206_151128.jpg

Turbo sat well....
20131206_151741.jpg

20131206_151040.jpg

...I also took an opportunity to check for OEM++ ness...
20131206_112141.jpg

Have started playing with the wastegate position... one thing is clear, the Tial 44mm gate I have is a big ******... plans are still formulating but will have a further update tomorrow or Sunday on that...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Munch, Lavis89 and jojo
Done well there, not even the comp housing touching the head....:icon_thumright:

Ta... there is a little issue over the cam cover removability... I have clocked the comp housing round a bit so that the silicon hose connecting to the charge pipe sits at the right height... this means that the cam cover won't come off without the turbo being moved... this of course is not a major issue as everything is v-banded and therefore dead easy to undo and move out the way... in fact I shall be making all the lines to the turbo with enough give to allow this...

One of the compromises of fitting big stuff into small places... thank the lord for v-band :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Dani_B19
Nice looking manifold! Could you take some measurements of the turbo? I would like to know the diameter of the housings and the total lenght of turbo. I could compare how my stone age turbo (Holset HX35) compares to Yours in size, so would know how tight fit mine will be.

Looking great PT, not surprised it's a good fit to be honest, I wouldn't expect anything less with your expert level of OCD :laugh:

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Nice looking manifold! Could you take some measurements of the turbo? I would like to know the diameter of the housings and the total lenght of turbo. I could compare how my stone age turbo (Holset HX35) compares to Yours in size, so would know how tight fit mine will be.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo.../drawing/Garrett_GT3582R_714568_1_2_3_new.pdf

Been playing with wastegate fitment today... 44mm gate is massive... struggling with it a little tbh... if I go the same sorta way as the TSR mani the gate fouls the gear change cables... facing the other way is plausible but could get in the way of the DP

The older style Tial I currently have is quite a bit taller than the MVR...
20131207_143850.jpg

...the position I am currently looking into means the MVR is around a finger width clear of the bulkhead... not a massive issue as the engine doesn't move much on the VT mounts and the 20v's rotate back on the mounts anyway under load pulling the gate away from the bulkhead...
20131207_143519.jpg

however... I am also toying with the idea of taking a stub off the collector runner of cyl 3 so rotating the gate towards the drivers side a little... gives a little more room at the back but obvs brings it closer to the DP etc... will see how it goes...

<tuffty/>

So... made a rather monumental f*ck up... drilled the hole for the wastegate and the hole cutter snagged when it punched through the collector ripping a couple of my somewhat dodgy tack welds off and launching the mani to the floor where it proceeded to dissemble itself...

20131208_172923.jpg

So... had another go....
20131215_115520.jpg

Decided to sort a couple of things I was slightly unhappy with... this was a bit of a journey quite frankly... I am a patient person by this did really push my patience to the limit... clearly fluked the first one... tried number one runner a few times before I got it workable... was a right pain... tape stuff, tack stuff... cut tacks, break apart, clean fittings and start again.. 12 hours later....
20131215_215332.jpg

20131215_215342.jpg

Slight differences to the previous version... and still have runner 4 to do but it broke me this time lol...

Will finish it off next weekend (use stronger tacks this time) and hopefully it will be off to be welded (and may even stay in one piece this time!)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Vex182
Got a little more done this weekend...

Got started on runner 4
20131221_113535.jpg

20131221_113713.jpg

...at this point I thought I had better check the heater matrix coolant pipes to see how it would all come together...
20131221_123634.jpg

20131221_123640.jpg

I cut the top hard pipe off the main one as the Forge hose kit I had didn't have these hoses anyway but the one it did have came straight off the coolant housing so will use that... applied a little heat to the pipe to help it bend taking care not to over do it as some of the outlets are brazed on... and bent the pipe away and more upright to the compressor housing as it was hitting it in its original position... this gives me enough clearance for the turbo...
20131222_121510.jpg

20131222_121530.jpg

20131222_133103.jpg

20131222_133057.jpg

With that done I tacked runner 4 ready for final tig welding...
20131222_154010.jpg

Phew!... not doing the wastegate now until the mani has been fully welded as I want to see where it all ends up... still not finalised the position but that will happen when the mani is done

Bill has a couple of projects ongoing for the new year all using Garrett/Tial turbos so lined them up for a bit of a turbo pr0n photo shoot :D

Left to right... GTX2867, GT3071 (HTA billet wheel Owens upgrade) and my GT3582
20131222_160546.jpg

20131222_160321.jpg

Now making a list of stuff I still need to get and do... seems a fairly large list of small but significant items, this will get ordered up in the new year... I have a bit of time off over christmas and I'll be flitting between mine, the Lupo and whatever else is kicking around...

Mani should be going off tomorrow to the guy doing the welding but not sure when it will be back...

Still... its progress and the list of jobs is going down slowly...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Sam_, StaceyS3 and chaz20vt
I had a kit based on FMKCTT225 which is the TT one... they didn't have an S3 one at the time and built the kit off my feedback... yours should have the joining hose from the coolant housing on the head to the hard pipe and the pipe to the after run pump which my kit didn't have

<tuffty/>

I had a kit based on FMKCTT225 which is the TT one... they didn't have an S3 one at the time and built the kit off my feedback... yours should have the joining hose from the coolant housing on the head to the hard pipe and the pipe to the after run pump which my kit didn't have

<tuffty/>

Yeh looking at the images, theres one hose different, and I should have the coolant housing to hard pipe one extra (it's different on an LCR btw, I bought an S3 coolant housing)
The photo of FMKC8LS3 has 14 hoses. I'm pretty sure they only sent me 13, so that might be the problem.
Will need to double check them all after work now

Small update... have painted a few things but not taken pics as yet as I have a couple more things to sort...

In the meantime I got a pic sent to me from Marcus at F4B UP who is doing the welding for me...

1476937_10152119166704643_2061290689_n.jpg

early done... exhaust flange, tial flange and wastegate left to do... I am getting the mani back so I can review the wastegate position as I am not 100% as to where I want it to go as yet..

...in other news... my order for hoses etc from ASH came today... sterling service considering I ordered this little lot from eBay on boxing day and it turned up via courier on a Saturday!!...
20131228_170243.jpg

100mm pipe work for the TIP, 63mm hose for turbo outlet plus a TB hose and some stuff to use for the PCV... should have the charge pipe stuff arrive next week too...

Should have another update at some point this week as I have all next week off to play :D

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Vex182
Hour many hours labour we talking for the welder to complete what you've started??

I think later next year if I have the time il hopefully have learnt at least to tack a weld (wana buy a Clarke mig).
so would be keen to build a mani out of mild steel and have a pro put it all together.
So many skills I want to learn, not enough time to do it lol.

Can't wait for it to come together, itl look great once in the bay.

Hour many hours labour we talking for the welder to complete what you've started??

I think later next year if I have the time il hopefully have learnt at least to tack a weld (wana buy a Clarke mig).
so would be keen to build a mani out of mild steel and have a pro put it all together.

Not sure off hand... good couple of days so far I think.... once mine and his initial mani is done he plans to make more and sell them through Bill... I think £850 was mentioned but would need to confirm that.. (1.5" NB version although a 1.25" NB version is planned)
1475771 685519331500532 547873185 n

I wouldn't use mild steel tbh... stainless fittings are relatively cheap and worth using if going to all the effort... biggest headache is finding a supplier for the straight lengths... most only supply in 6m lengths... bit much for one manifold

<tuffty/>

Did a little more today...

Fitted the partially welded manifold to my engine as the charge pipe stuff had turned up...
20131230_132009.jpg

Found an ideal alloy bend, 63mm OD and 600mm long... pretty much does the whole top pipe without welding lol (although I will have to as I'll explain later)
20131230_132021.jpg

The brackets and clamps need a little modification of course as they are designed for the 60mm OE pipe which has a tighter bend too...
20131230_132028.jpg

20131230_132537.jpg

20131230_132537-2.jpg

So I cut slits in the clamps to open them up a little and welded it all up... (ok, I used loads of tacks as thats all I can really do at the moment lol)
20131230_143254.jpg

20131230_144426.jpg

20131230_153752.jpg

20131230_153814.jpg

Now the brackets as they need a little work too...
20131230_144608.jpg

20131230_144920.jpg

20131230_145838.jpg

Extended the clamp and welded all back together...
20131230_150824.jpg

The finished result is that the pipe sits in nice and the clamps fit too...
20131230_162111.jpg

20131230_163037.jpg

20131230_162052.jpg

Had to pack the clamp up a little to allow clearance for the cam belt cover...
20131230_162250.jpg

Next I need to add a slight bend to each end as the OE pipe pitches down past the clamp to connect to the hose going off past the the headlight and the hose off the turbo is a little kinked so a slight bend in the pipe will sort that too...

For those in doubt that my quest for OEM++ may be a little unachievable with a dirty great turbo bolted to the back of the engine then maybe this will give you an idea of where I am heading...

What big turbo???
20131230_163005.jpg

...oh... THAT big turbo... :)
20131230_163025.jpg

Still got the wastegate to sort out and a few other odds and sods... have ordered the heatshielding and heat wrap for the downpipe... have also emailed a couple of companies asking for quotes on ceramic coating as I think its worth getting the mani done..

More tomorrow hopefully

<tuffty/>

Reactions: sssline, StaceyS3, Sam_ and 3 others

Tufty has been given special dispensation to fab his own...( Bills secretly paying me to get it done so he can have his garage back!!!!!)

Personally its very hard to redo someone elses work. Mines th other manifold for my HTA wheeled GT30 turbo.

Tufty has been given special dispensation to fab his own...( Bills secretly paying me to get it done so he can have his garage back!!!!!)

Personally its very hard to redo someone elses work. Mines th other manifold for my HTA wheeled GT30 turbo.

Shouldn't you be welding something? :p

Oem cars arent that clean lol. What a car. I dont know how you guys do it. The time money or patients. Top work!

Is that why I am now down 2 ramps currently with other peoples cars? lol

hehe