Badger5EM Tuning
Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2932333435363738394041424344454649 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,560 of 2692
Like Tree629Likes

Thread: My minor modding thread

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Awesome :D

I would say I want one of these large port inlets, but as I've already got one as standard, I'm not sure simply increasing the plenum size would help.

Which plenum are you going to use PT?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Awesome :D

I would say I want one of these large port inlets, but as I've already got one as standard, I'm not sure simply increasing the plenum size would help.

Which plenum are you going to use PT?
    Using the Xcessive one as per Andrew/Stacey etc... gonna be all smoothed out though and painted in an aluminium colour in a vague attempt to keep it OEM esque looking

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Will you be adding the bosses so you can fit the engine cover?
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

6th Gear

Status
    I'm not sure simply increasing the plenum size would help.
    You mean like this kind of thing on post 20? KilometerMagazine.com - Big turbo 1.8t Golf with the luxury of AWD

People going BT with A4s on Zine seem to love doing this. Don't know how effective it actually is but enough of them do it do must do some good? Someone over here needs to test one. How much are aeb inlets going for?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Will you be adding the bosses so you can fit the engine cover?
    Yes mate... will be keeping the cover on but I will be painting the cam cover the same colour as the mani and charge pipes anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    You mean like this kind of thing on post 20? KilometerMagazine.com - Big turbo 1.8t Golf with the luxury of AWD

People going BT with A4s on Zine seem to love doing this. Don't know how effective it actually is but enough of them do it do must do some good? Someone over here needs to test one. How much are aeb inlets going for?
    This plenum...

Larger plenum gives more consistent distribution of air to the cylinders (like a reservoir of air)... it is said that for a forced induction car the plenum should be 1.5 x the capacity of the engine so in the case of a 1.8t thats around 2.6ltrs...

Paid £20 for my AEB inlet... AGU runners can be used too of course... AEB runners curve down while AGU runners are straight... no real benefit of one over the other really just down to what you can get your hands on I guess...

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 14th May 2012 at 08:58.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah i know what one you`re using just thought Prawn meant the sort of thing i posted Might at some point find another inlet and get it extended like that link. Although i cant see it doing a huge amount on my basic set up but worth a go if its cheap.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I saw a 20 bhp gain from my manifold with it only running 10 psi I didnt take note of the torque but it did want to rev more with it
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I saw a 20 bhp gain from my manifold with it only running 10 psi I didnt take note of the torque but it did want to rev more with it
    I'd quite happily buy an inlet mani for my car if they were a bit cheaper.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    You see it's posts like this that get me thinking!

Everyone is saying it's not needed at lower power levels, yet you say you've gained 20bhp from the inlet when you're only at ~280bhp levels.

I'd love to know how much of this is down to the better design and larger plenum, and how much is simply down to you having the 'wrong' small port inlet on the large port head.

I'd love to try it and see if there are gains to be had, but I'm not sure if I'll see any gains at all considering I've already got a large port inlet on my large port head.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Don't forget we have bigger turbos that flow a lot more than the k04
    FOR SALE

Status
    true, but 280bhp is 280bhp and will be flowing the same amount of air surely? The boost isn't even THAT different, mines 275bhp at 14psi from the hybrid.

So if it's making those kind of gains at 280bhp then surely similar gains should be seen regardless of turbo?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    true, but 280bhp is 280bhp and will be flowing the same amount of air surely? The boost isn't even THAT different, mines 275bhp at 14psi from the hybrid.

So if it's making those kind of gains at 280bhp then surely similar gains should be seen regardless of turbo?
    Arguably but that doesn't mean you would get the same gains... too many variables involved... the Mk2 GOlf we did had an AGU inlet mani and managed over 450hp...

Only one way to find out

<tuffty/>

Status
    At the moment I already have too much air for the injectors to cope with

I cant wait to see some more comparable dyno results for the inlet.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Got to admit I'm pretty gutted that I won't be able to see before and after results for my inlet unless bill changes it halfway through the mapping

But will be good to see some documented dyno results
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I have some previous dyno data to fall back on when I come to run mine up... the main changes between my last runs and when I run her up wit the inlet etc on will be the inlet, 63mm pipe work from the FMIC to the TB and thats about it... it will of course be running a map I have been developing but tbh from a WOT power run perspective it will make no real difference.. .airflow is airflow, boost is boost, AFR is AFR ect and all that will have essentially changed is airflow capabilities..

I have spent a lot of time on my car so will know if the inlet makes a difference... you only have to see the result Welly had with his to know that at this level at least there are gains... most of the GT3071 turbo'd cars that have been mapped at Bill's that have had larger inlets have made over 400hp... those that didn't (mine included) had other issues such as restrictive hotsides/smaller turbines etc... its all about total flow through the engine...

Its not the sort of thing thats an easy swap to do on a before and after test realistically as typically the TB is in a different position and requires mods to get it all plumbed up right even if bolting the thing on take only 'some' minutes...

I did see improvements when I fitted the SEM that one time with no other change but again my setup is wildly different to the average S3 owner

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 14th May 2012 at 15:14.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I'd quite happily buy an inlet mani for my car if they were a bit cheaper.
    OBX Large Port Intake Manifold VW Volkswagen Golf GTI Beetle Audi TT 1.8T 20V | eBay

<tuffty/>

Bwah

Status
    Amazing thread Tuffty... I initially popped in to check out your JR cone in a std airbox info... but carried on right through. Great stuff

Status
    Argh. No links to manifolds please Tufty! I'm SOOOOOOOO tempted.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Decided to take advantage of the nicer weather and longer evenings this week and make a start on doing some stuff to the car thats long overdue...

I have a coolant leak and Forge have been kind enough to supply me with a hose kit they are developing for the S3 based on the current one they do for the TT.. doing all these hose meant taking most of the bay apart to allow easier access especially as I have a few extra bits in the way... I also took the opportunity to offer up the AEB runners I have for the inlet manifold I am fabricating and see where everything is going to end up...

Engine bay emptied... also removed the alternator and belt tensioner as I believe it to be causing my flat battery issues and the tensioner is making an odd noise due to the proximity of the coolant leak...

AEB runners test fitted... will grab the plenum from Bills tomorrow to mark where the back plate will go and I can trim the runners and cut the holes out the plate ready for welding... I turned the dipstick tube around so that it sticks up more upright and should sit nicely between the runners...

The hose that was leaking was the one going to the bottom of the expansion tank...

...sat next to the Forge replacement...

Tomorrow evening I plan to drain the coolant and start replacing the hoses... there are two hoses I know aren't in the set Forge gave me so will let them know in case they have left them out by mistake or just not made them yet... not sure... there are also a couple of extras I am not sure about either but then thats kinda the point of this exercise

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    Nice one mate am patiently waiting on this kit
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Status
    I could have done with this kit at Easter

Good to see this thread on the move again.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quick update...

Seeing as I am all up in the OEM look I have been seriously tearing my hair out (whats left of it) to work out how the hell I can make a rather large fabricated inlet manifold look OEM... so... made a desicion that I would smooth it and colour code the charge pipe, cam cover and inlet manifold so that it is more OEM++ than my normal OEM+...

I bought some Simoniz wheel paint ages ago to refurb either my TTRS's or the spare set of Avus I bought as winters that I have now sold to the wheel/tire whore Prawn... Thought I would start small just to see what it would it looks like and prepped one of the charge pipe clamps...

Doesn't look too bad colour wise... it did go a bit dark at one point but seems to have settled ok... good few coats of lacquer too and nice and shiney... I know everyone will start saying I've copped out but tbh I am still going to retain the covers and it will take a second look to realise that somethings not quite right...

Plus I am fitting a huge intake for more power so waddya gonna do!!

Charge pipe is off... looks tatty compared so something had to be done really anyway... already modded for the turbo location and painted black...

However... the join may look a little obvious once painted a lighter colour so I might grind and fill this bit to smooth it out...

Off to remove hoses now

<tuffty/>

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Quick update...

I have been seriously tearing my hair out (whats left of it)

<tuffty/>
    Steady PT, or you'll end up looking like this:

Good work though, can't beat a bit of 5 wheel steel!

1st Gear

Status
    Tuffty, have you ever though about sandblasting it?

Got my roker cover sandblasted, it doesn't quite match the finish of the intake mani but one day i'll sandblast that too.
    It is a pita to get it cleaned once i stick my greasy fingers on it but with a coat of clear will solve that.
    2000 Brilliant Black TT Quattro.
    2010 Daytona Grey TTRS.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I will be getting it blasted prior to painting it... happy enough with the finish of the wheel paint so painting it all that colour will pull it together nicely I think

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Busy evening... had to remove quite a bit in the end as it was easier to do with all the hoses out of the bay... so ended up with...

As you can see I ended up cutting the ends of the hoses as they had welded themselves on to the metal hard pipe... I have seen this before so was expecting it but what a ballache!!..

Left a nice amount of rubber stuck the to stubs too...

Which I cleaned up with a sharp knife and wet and dry...

The OEM clips are a ******* to do without the right tool (which Bill has at the workshop) but managed to get them all off and the Forge hoses fitted

Will clearly look a bit better in the light and once the bay is back together and clean of course... couple of clips to do up, expansion bottle and the lower rad hose from the stat housing to do and that will be all done

<tuffty/>

5th Gear

Status
    Tuffy, have you relocated your battery yet? Where does it sit in the boot? Wondering if it will fit in the sub box area.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    Tuffty, have you relocated your battery yet? Where does it sit in the boot? Wondering if it will fit in the sub box area.
    Not done it yet but will be fitting in in the spare tyre well against the back panel and in the centre...

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Warm day at the 'office'.... took the opportunity to OEM++ paint some more stuff...

First the DV...

....turned out quite well...

...and did the charge pipe and remaining clamp...

Finished off fitting the hoses too... large one from the bottom of the rad... still a c-unit to get off but brute strength and ignorance prevailed and got a nice G12 shower for my trouble too...

Last hoses to go in were the one that goes to the bottom of the expansion tank (the leaky one) and the one to the top of the expansion tank...

Will paint the throttle body and some point and the cam cover once blasted... might play with the inlet manifold a bit tomorrow if I get the time

<tuffty/>

Status
    We need pictures.

I know they exist, so show us the goods!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Hot day again and far too hot to be hot to be cutting out and filing holes in the mani back plate but I did anyway... could have probably got them machined but where is the fun in that

Anyhoo... here are some pics of a test fitting for position.. was only a quick throw it on job as I was due out for a meal...

...and of course as its the OEM++ look...

<tuffty/>

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Big buggers arn't they when fitted lol

looking good
    FOR SALE

RIP S3dave

Status
    that looks reasonable position wise.. nice
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    that looks reasonable position wise.. nice
    Yeah surprisingly... vac outlets underneath will be next to useless though I feel as its pretty close to the alternator... the phenolic should lift it a bit but I am thinking of a thickish bit of ali plate welded underneath and drilled/tapped for outlets will present a better solution...

The pipework will need doing again I think but then was expecting that and will go to 63mm (60mm currently)... but battery needs to go in the boot first

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    Bloody hell Tuffty!! Just read this whole thread, and it makes good reading. loving the car and the attention to detail. Best colour too!!lol

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Good friend George dropped off my cam cover today all blasted.... so after a wash and a rinse to remove any media that may be left I got on with a bit of painting... not much left to say really so here are a few pics... just before the bloody rain started!!!!

OEM++ and clean looking... :D

<tuffty/>
    Sandra likes this.

Status
    Looking good PT,

your obsession with OEM look will never cease to make me chuckle, but it is impressive!

Status
    Looking very impressive Paul. Get out there and work in the rain, you wont melt. Btw, its sunny here in West of Scotland. x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Got up early in between showers... finished putting the engine bay back together and well pleased with the results so far...

Happy that the colour of the charge pipe doesn't make the bay look too modified :D

Started the car up after nearly 3 weeks off the road... warmed her up and topped up the coolant... all good so far so decided to take her to Bills and get some fuel on the way as the warning was on...

Got about 2 miles down the road and the low coolant warning came on again... bugger... probably needs topping up a bit more as I did drain quite a bit when doing the hoses..

Opening the bonnet I was shocked to see that there was coolant everywhere!!! arse!!! I had some coolant on me so topped up and decide to drive home carefully... 200 yards down the road and on it came again!!! arse++ must be a big leak

Managed to nurse the car home and washed down the bay to stop the G12 from staining everything... little bit of an investigating later and discovered that the plastic housing leading to the top of the rad had broken...

Aged brittle plastic + brute force and ignorance = fail!

Looking at the one housing revealed that it may well have been a pattern part and changed in a previous life as Bill had one kicking about (like he does) which had VAG part number on it but mine didn't and the shape of the thing is a little different...

Ah well... I will order some from TPS Wednesday although this has stalled my plans somewhat this week... cars... gotta love um

<tuffty/>
    Sandra likes this.

come fly with me

Status
    Thats a shame tuffty! Been waiting so long for this to be up and running.
    Engine bay looking very smart and OEM btw
    <Jay A3 build thread>

241bhp K03s - R Tech