So the S3 MAF uses a different sensor to the S4 one then?

... google away

hitachi vs bosch
the response 'curves' for the maf elements in that sensor link I posted show there's quite some response variance between sensors.. and they are non-linear outputs, so ecu must be scaled for the sensor element its designed to be used with i would have thought

Last edited:
Holy jesus she's making some pressure at the turbo then!! lol. 32 PSI? Deffo time to investigate what difference a bigger cooler will make.

8psi loss :( then 5 to 6psi afterwards...

10psi actuator gave 255bhp, 22psi gave 355bhp, recover some of the lost flow/pressure, and hello 400bhp level finally. with some added wmi goodness :)

Do you have a link tuffty where i can get that pipe from.also i ment with the air duct where does the duct pipe fit for it to get good air to the air box

Do you have a link tuffty where i can get that pipe from.also i ment with the air duct where does the duct pipe fit for it to get good air to the air box

I bought it ages ago so I no longer have a link... have a search on ebay for 'cold air intake' and that should help find it...

The details of the mods I made to the airbox and trunking route etc are earlier on in my build thread... mine currently terminates by the headlight as when I did the mods I had my FMIC pipework coming up there and there was no room to make it go down into the bumper space..

<tuffty/>

Quick update...

I have now had a chance to change the oil pump.... was pleased to see the sump still looking good after around 15/20k of motoring since I started the work on the car...
20110226_IMAG0562.jpg

...removed the old pump which still looks ok tbh but peace of mind etc...
20110226_IMAG0565.jpg

...refitted the pump and cleaned out the pickup.. I would have just fitted a new one but Bill didn't have on on the shelf... it wasn't clogged or damaged so all good...
20110226_IMAG0570.jpg

Having the sump off gave me a chance to look at how clean the engine was still so pleased with my current 5/6k oil change regime...

Sadly though this didn't cure the rattling top end entirely... its is much quieter and the engine seems much better and smoother at lower revs but the rattle on idle is still there so I have come to the conclusion that the highish mileage of the large port head I currently have (200k I think) maybe a little more worn than first thought...

My current thought is that excessive follower bore wear is causing the oil pressure in general in the head to be a little lower than normal and the followers aren't getting all the oil they need and thus getting the rattle... I also think this could be the cause of my running issues at low rpm on part throttle where I get random hiccups from the engine that feel like hitting limp (which technically my ECU no longer can do properly)... the issue manifests itself from around 3k to 4k rpm in gears like second on part throttle where the car is gradually building speed/revs then hits a huge flat spot that feels like a boost pipe coming off and my current theory is that the oil pressure drops a little allowing the load of the cam lobes to compress the followers a little and thus create a flat spot... under WOT acceleration all feels good but its slow acceleration of 'town' style driving where this seems more evident..

I could also have ******** followers of course but I cannot remember having a rattling top end when they were in the AMK head and the issue has been less frequent (although just as random which suggests its not mapping related) since fitting both the new cam tensioner and the new oil pump...

The only thing left to do here really is to eliminate the head as an issue by just getting another... I may end up with another small port I guess as large port heads are thin on the ground and I can look at sourcing one from a newer 20v motor as I am going to avoid anything with space miles on it... I may also change all the followers yet but they aren't cheap to buy costing just over £20 a pop at ECP and just over £200 (plus postage, tax etc) to import a full set...

Anyhoo... I also spent a bit of time measuring up for a larger FMIC... Alex at AH Fabs suggested the core he uses for his cossie FMIC's
Cossycore.jpg

25 rows compared to 13 on the current AH Fabs S3 FMIC... same depth but taller and a tad wider... so cut a template out to see where the core would fit compared to the current one... I fitted the template behind the original FMIC lining it up at the bottom... quite a bit bigger!..
20110226_IMAG0572.jpg

End tanks and outlets are much further into the curvature of the bumper...
20110226_IMAG0577.jpg

...and with the bumper on the top of the core will protrude out from the top grille... (black mark indicates depth of the core)...
20110226_IMAG0579.jpg

...so... won't actual fit then! boooo :(

Back to the drawing board then... will have a chat with Alex next week to discuss core options... one option I want to look into is a deeper core say 76mm odd maybe... I need more flow more than cooling ability and I reckon I can get the outlets at the top like the pro alloy one here...
proalloy1zn6.png

...the S3 has headlight washers in the way of the pipe run pictured above so I will have to change the route a bit but I reckon I could get something like this to work...

Onwards and upwards!

<tuffty/>

Cant wait to see what you come up with tufty, ive been contemplating the above setup for a while as it would shorten the pipe run and also be easier for a larger pipe size without as much hassle.

Cant wait to see what you come up with tufty, ive been contemplating the above setup for a while as it would shorten the pipe run and also be easier for a larger pipe size without as much hassle.

The aim would to be to get some fairly large outlets (76mm is the plan) and reduce to 60mm on mine as I run 60mm throughout... Bill normally uses 63mm pipework on custom builds so this will help cover that too and hopefully give a capable FMIC for BT conversions on S3's... I intend to keep the washers as it may become part of the MOT to test washers etc as its UK law for HIDs to have self levellers and headlight washers, this will determine the final route and the mods required to retain the bumper bar...

Will update the thread when I have some more info...

<tuffty/>

Sounds good. Yeah i read about headlight washers been a requirement if running HID's.

So does the washer route run exactly where the pro alloy pipework is? (cant remember where the washers are now lol). Would love to run a fmic the size of wellys but keep the fogs, best of both worlds.

Sounds good. Yeah i read about headlight washers been a requirement if running HID's.

So does the washer route run exactly where the pro alloy pipework is? (cant remember where the washers are now lol). Would love to run a fmic the size of wellys but keep the fogs, best of both worlds.

Yep, pretty much bangs right into them...

<tuffty/>

What would be required to alter them? Would it be possible to cut down the washer bodies? Or is it just the water feed that would clash? Sorry the the questions paul it's just my bumper wont be off for a while now so just getting a heads up :).

What would be required to alter them? Would it be possible to cut down the washer bodies? Or is it just the water feed that would clash?.....

Absolutely no idea until I have worked out what core will be used and had a proper faff...

<tuffty/>

Had a couple of nice little parcels turn up today...
IMAG0588.jpg

and....

IMAG0589.jpg

Big thanks to Alex at AH Fabs for sending me the core to have a proper play with... might have to cut it down a bit but looking forward to it :D

<tuffty/>

Jimminy Jelickers thats a big core!

Took a day off today to have a play with the core Alex sent over....

My current setup...
20110311_IMAG0594.jpg

...remove the FMIC to make a start... quite a difference in size!
20110311_IMAG0595.jpg

...and quite large on the car too... can see why Alex uses these cores for Cossie's...
20110311_IMAG0596.jpg

...and you can now see that its far too tall although not as tall as I first thought...
20110311_IMAG0597-1.jpg

20110311_IMAG0598.jpg

...so I cut 3 rows off the top and the thick plate off the bottom which made it fit much better...
20110311_IMAG0602.jpg

20110311_IMAG0605.jpg

First I tried to see about getting the outlets above the crash bar like the pro alloy one...
20110311_IMAG0607.jpg

...but while I can get the outlet in the right place etc there was no easy route past the headlamp washers so went to plan B...

20110311_IMAG0620.jpg

...same as my current setup... which works... I am even going to use 63mm pipe instead of 60mm which appears it will fit with some bumper trimming (not sure what as yet but sure it will work out fine...)
20110311_IMAG0612.jpg

20110311_IMAG0615.jpg

Now I know whats what all I need to do is to get over to see Alex at AH Fabs with the modded core with all the pics etc so he can get it built up for a test fit...

Its very tight but thats fine as I can still do the bottom 2 screws up on the bumper which is a good sign and still retain the foglights...

I may still have to loose one more row due to the tightness with the height of the core but that still would then give me 21 rows over the current 13 rows and a little more surface area as its wider plus the 63mm pipework with joins up nice and tight to the 60mm bellows joiners I have...

Will try and sort this in the next couple of weeks but I don't have any more time off until next month now as I have used all this years holidays... mostly so I can work on the car LOL...

I still need to clean up the new head and decide if I can be bothered to do any mild porting work on it as I will need to book 'another' week off to get that changed... Bill has also got some followers in just in case and I also need to investigate another 'pressure valve' that is apparently in the oil filter housing that is tied into oil pressure up top... hoping the next head change will sort it all out though..

More as and when I get there...

<tuffty/>

Paul i love you man, haha, hope you can get the core to work, would be awesome. Will the 90" degree bends be attached to the core or will they but connected via silicone joiners?

Have to seen the FMIC wagner tuning offer, all be it they are europe based:

Audi S3 FMIC

Paul i love you man, haha, hope you can get the core to work, would be awesome. Will the 90" degree bends be attached to the core or will they but connected via silicone joiners?

Have to seen the FMIC wagner tuning offer, all be it they are europe based:

Audi S3 FMIC

Looks along the lines of what I originally imagined the end tanks to be but fabricated rather than cast like that looks... decided it would be a ballache to do... looks good though but not cheap... this one will be mor expensive than the smaller AH Fabs one but certainly not silly expensive...

the bends will be attached as they are now on my current one... there isn't enough room for a silicone joiner there without really hacking the trim about which I can't be doing with... I will suggest to Alex that we offer the cooler up to my car prior to welding the pipes on to see if there is the remotest chance joiners can be used but tbh I can't see it and not convinced any more that its an actual problem with the pipes in that configuration... certainly not really any different to the funky end tank design in the link you posted...

<tuffty/>

...oh and just noticed its a 50mm core rather than the 60mm on I am using..

<tuffty/>

Paul would something like this work? It's an extremely poo photoshop but just an idea, was thinking of the whole' hot air higher up, colder denser air lower down'

20110311_IMAG0605.jpg

Paul would something like this work? It's an extremely poo photoshop but just an idea, was thinking of the whole' hot air higher up, colder denser air lower down'

20110311_IMAG0605.jpg

Sadly not mate... looked into that too... your pic doesn't include the end tank and the bends are too tight for commercially available alloy bends... the aircon pipes and towing eye mount get in the way on that side...

Its no drama, I will use the tried and tested method used with my current FMIC... anything more radical would potentially require a lot of modding of the bumper and surrounding area which quite frankly I have no interest in doing as this works...

<tuffty/>

Sorry I forgot you had modded your current AH fmic.

I was hoping you were going todo intergrated bends rather than silicone joiners like the old AH fmic, it makes sense due to the restrictions of the bumper and fogs.

Can't wait for this, the only thing that stooped me getting a AH fmic now was the size of it, can't wait for the version 2 to come out, will **** all other the ebay jobbies as the cores just don't compare to alex's :).

Thats a big intercooler dude. Would it not be better to have the top area of the intercooler not covered so it can get air flow going to it as hot air rises.

Any spec of the intercooler paul

Thats a big intercooler dude. Would it not be better to have the top area of the intercooler not covered so it can get air flow going to it as hot air rises.

Any spec of the intercooler paul

Yes, it probably would be better to have the top area uncovered but it simply doesn't fit... I am not sure its going to be a prob tbh as my IAT's are only a little higher than normal due to the turbo trying to compensate for the pressure drop and working harder than it should do...

Minimal pressure drop (afforded by the increase in rows), more surface area and WMI should sort it all out :)

The core is the one AH Fabs use for their cossie FMIC... 60mm deep like my current one but has an 8mm gap between rows rather than 10mm (iirc)... the actual core is 25 rows but I have (so far) cut off 3 to get it to fit.. may have to lose one more yet but thats still 21 vs 13... flow capacity is the issue for me at the moment... my current one is fine for K04's etc but a GT30 is a little different and flows a bit more ;P

<tuffty/>

Just wondering would you happen to have a rough idea of the temperature of the discharged air from the compressor outlet on the turbo you running and a typical intake air temp you get on WOT. Im just wondering how efficient your original AH intercooler was.

Just wondering would you happen to have a rough idea of the temperature of the discharged air from the compressor outlet on the turbo you running and a typical intake air temp you get on WOT. Im just wondering how efficient your original AH intercooler was.

I don't have that kinda data no... could prob log stuff like that on the dyno as Bill's setup has the kit to do it but always worked from actual IAT's as the ECU see's them in comparison to ambient temps...

I did comparative tests when I had a K04 and first fitted the AH FMIC and the change from the SMICs was quite dramatic...

<tuffty/>

I don't have that kinda data no... could prob log stuff like that on the dyno as Bill's setup has the kit to do it but always worked from actual IAT's as the ECU see's them in comparison to ambient temps...

I did comparative tests when I had a K04 and first fitted the AH FMIC and the change from the SMICs was quite dramatic...

<tuffty/>

Aw I see. Shame we dont have a temp sensor before the intercoolers to see what the discharged air temp would be. Could get a efficiency percentage for the intercoolers as we know the temp after the intercoolers..

Whats the flow rate of your turbo.

Last edited:
Aw I see. Shame we dont have a temp sensor before the intercoolers to see what the discharged air temp would be. Could get a efficiency percentage for the intercoolers as we know the temp after the intercoolers..

Whats the flow rate of your turbo.

you could always retro fit for the data

Nowt to report on my car as yet other than I am due to pop over to AH Fabs towards the end of the month to drop off the modded core and discuss end tanks and other such 'interesting' stuff ;P

I have been keeping my eye in though and been helping Bill on another GT3071r turbo'd project... a Mk3 Ibiza...
IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

Quite an impressive spec on this one and will make more power than mine I should think as its a 1.9 with a tubular T3 external gate manifold and SEM inlet... gonna be bonkers... good fun building it though :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

It weighs next to nothing as well, that really will be bonkers