AH FabricationsChris Nott
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast
Like Tree589Likes

Thread: My minor modding thread

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Popped into see Bill today....

330mm rotors with Badger 5 alloy bells... Bill is gonna get a set black anodised as well as a set of alloy caliper brackets.

Bill also has some stainless steel braided pipes and some DS2500's to go with it all so I think that sorts the braking out a treat

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Minor update, decided to be safe than sorry and ordered a 355lph inline fuel pump as Bill reckons I should try 1.4 bar boost!!

Thanks mate!!

I have put a couple of classified ads on for the bits being removed for any one thats interested...

Turbo and other bits..
    http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/sh...ct/3769/cat/15

Brakes...
    http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/sh...ct/3770/cat/12

PM me for info etc...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Minor update, decided to be safe than sorry and ordered a 355lph inline fuel pump as Bill reckons I should try 1.4 bar boost!!

Thanks mate!!

I have put a couple of classified ads on for the bits being removed for any one thats interested...

Turbo and other bits..
    http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/sh...ct/3769/cat/15

Brakes...
    http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/sh...ct/3770/cat/12

PM me for info etc...

<tuffty/>

Damn you....are you trying to make my wallet ache???!!
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Damn you....are you trying to make my wallet ache???!!
    Sure... why not

<tuffty/>

Smell my finger.

Status
    Interested in your brakes though..... Need to check the funds!
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    damn you tufty for being so inspirational :D
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    damn you tuffty for being so inspirational :D

Happy to oblige

<tuffty/>

black S3

Status
    hey looking good wish i could do the work my self!!
    what are those injectors and what size??

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sean88boy View Post
    hey looking good wish i could do the work my self!!
    what are those injectors and what size??
    Siemens Deka 630cc... links to them are further up the thread (#36)

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    I think ive just had the same rods fitted as part of my new motor.
    what clutch will you be using with this?
    Im planning on an upgrade to my turbo once my bank account looks a little better !
    Do you know of any other S3/TT's running this manifold and turbo set up? is heat a major problem?
    I did look at having a tubalar manifold made but i like the idea of the stock look but is there a trade off with performance??
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    I think ive just had the same rods fitted as part of my new motor.
    what clutch will you be using with this?
    No idea as yet... I am gonna wait until I get enough money to sort my gearbox out as I have a crunchy 3rd gear which is probably syncro related and will look into it when I am ready... however... any suggestions will be gratefully received

Im planning on an upgrade to my turbo once my bank account looks a little better !
    Do you know of any other S3/TT's running this manifold and turbo set up? is heat a major problem?
    I don't know of any others using this combo. Bill usually fits tubular top mount manifolds to the BT conversions he does but this log mani appealed as it was cheaper and kept everything looking OEM.

Heat wise there shouldn't be much real difference to OEM but I am having the downpipe wrapped initially and getting both the mani and DP ceramic coated when funds allow.

I did look at having a tubalar manifold made but i like the idea of the stock look but is there a trade off with performance??
    Obviously there will be a trade off but I am using a smaller than usual hotside to aid spool up which would choke a tubular mani to an extent at higher RPM. You would gain more power higher up the rev range with a combo of the right hotside and decent tubular mani. If I was chasing numbers and/or had deep pockets I prob would go tubular but if you do go tubular go top mount rather than underslung as its a pointless exercise IMO, benefits of a decent tubular mani are negated by underslung variants...

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    It would be a top mounted jobie.
    Ive just opted for the sachs power clutch for now with a new duel mass jobie.
    Alot of S3 and TT have a dodgy 3rd gear if the change if rushed.
    Only if driven like a loon does mine feel anything less than good.
    Is the manifold braced against the block? To carry the weight of the turbo??
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    There isn't one on mine at the moment but can be fabricated if required

<tuffty/>

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    It would be a top mounted jobie.
    Ive just opted for the sachs power clutch for now with a new duel mass jobie.
    Alot of S3 and TT have a dodgy 3rd gear if the change if rushed.
    Only if driven like a loon does mine feel anything less than good.
    no need to brace it

can you predict which direction(s) things will expand to..? I know I cant

just stop the downpipe wrenching onto the setup will be better..

I dont brace turbos.. no problems yet
    AVLO likes this.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    13 Days to go Im sooo excited for you to get this started woop woop
    Follow us on Facebook-Stacey-Byzan Photography-

1st Gear

Status

brakes

Popped into see Bill today....

330mm rotors with Badger 5 alloy bells... Bill is gonna get a set black anodised as well as a set of alloy caliper brackets.

Bill also has some stainless steel braided pipes and some DS2500's to go with it all so I think that sorts the braking out a treat

<tuffty/>
    hi paul do you know what size rim you have to rim for these to work?
    where do you buy the caliper brakets?
    for the 350 pounds what all do you get
    cheers scott
    ps cant wiat till you start
    also where is the best place to get a k04 hybridised
    Audi 1.8t quattro
    Mods :Evo 8 ralliart carbon fiber mud flaps ,forge 007p,k&n appolo cold air feed filter, ko4 turbo by backdraft that fits on ko3 mani
    will go big turbo soon though

6th Gear

Status
    I Know its a bit cheeky... How much for a mani?
    And a down pipe to fit?
    Ive done the internals and fitting a sache power clutch... probs last about 5 mins though
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheeboyo View Post
    hi paul do you know what size rim you have to rim for these to work?
    I have 18's but should fit under 17's... hope they do as my winter tyres are on my old 17's

where do you buy the caliper brakets?
    Badger 5 manufacture and supply brackets for Brembos. Bill and I offered up the disc and calipers last weekend and took some measurements over the ones Bill gets made for Brembos. I think he is getting some made in the next week or so...

for the 350 pounds what all do you get
    Not sure where you got that figure from??? My calipers cost me 325 from ebay (link further up the thread), I am not sure of the cost of the rotors, bells, brackets, bolts and brake hoses as yet. Best bet is to give Bill a bell for a quote.

ps cant wiat till you start
    Me niether... making a start next Thursday evening...

also where is the best place to get a k04 hybridised
    CR Turbos and Turbo Dynamics are 2 companies that spring to mind.... CR do a K04 hybrid for 495 + vat exchange IIRC...

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I Know its a bit cheeky... How much for a mani?
    And a down pipe to fit?
    Ive done the internals and fitting a sache power clutch... probs last about 5 mins though
    Bill builds down pipes on car as every BT he has done so far has been different. You would need to leave your car with him for a little while and you would need it at least wrapped but would recommend ceramic coating which will add to the expense but stop things melting.

I will have this done eventually but it can take up to 2 weeks as the company that Bill uses is quite busy and I don't want to wait 2 weeks for my car

Give Bill a call and he will sort you out a quote for a DP and a mani... (www.badger5.co.uk)

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 29th August 2009 at 21:06. Reason: wrong web address... DOH!!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I have decided to look into replacing my engine mounts as having a 400bhp engine and gearbox bouncing around under the bonnet may not be the best....

Vibratechnics are a little expensive tbh so looking at either INA street density (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3566881) or THS FR3 (http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/prod...nly_THSFR3-TMO)

Anyone had any experience with either??

Ta

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    I did ask about uprating my engine mounts at jbs not so long back... But after being taken out in a fast octavia with them fitted,,, i decided to see how i get on with stock ones.
    The vibrations passed through the car were horrible.
    Making it more like a track car than a comfy fast road car.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Mat20vts A3 with a Badger 5 GT2871R has vibratechnics and when I went out in his car today to see how good his new DS3000's pads were I can honestly say there was no vibrations felt while driving at all... I had a lot worse when I fitted a powerflex dogbone bush...

That said, the INA Track Density mounts are supposed to be hard....

Erring on the side of THS as they are cheap (I know that doesn't make um better) but seem to have the same qualities as the INA Street Density stuff and the THS top hoses I have appear to be very good quality.

Question still stands though if anyone has had experience of these mounts (or any others for that matter) then please let me know

On a lighter note... I take my car into Bill's Thursday evening to make a start on fitting the rods. Plan is to remove as much as I can Thursday night ready to remove the head Saturday and get the rods in... Can't say I am looking forward to all the stuff I have to remove but its all for a good cause.... 400 of them to be precise

Will start posting progress pics (hopefully) next weekend....

<tuffty/>

2nd Gear

Status
    paul, the only way you can notice vibration in my car is the coins ratteling about in the tray. apart from that, its minamal. thats fast road mounts in mine.

hope you get a move on with yours, i wana see how it spools up!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Minor update... Ordered some THS mounts, got the full set as even though I have a powerflex dogbone bush I have read that the THS one appears to work better so I thought I may as well try it.

Here is a link to the mounts
    http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/prod...tem_THSFR3-CMP

Pictures later (when they arrive)

Counting down the days now... WooHoo!!

<tuffty/>

Smell my finger.

Status
    I'm loving all this gucci stuff you're getting

Really looking forward to seeing it all come together.

T

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Just had the OK from THS to mention that until the end of September, if you go and buy the complete set of mounts from their site (http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/prod...tem_THSFR3-CMP) and use the following code in the basket (SCNFR3CMP) it will give you 69 off the 199 retail price.

There is a 13 delivery charge so this lot cost me 143 in total... bargain

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Finally started on the work... WooHoo!!!

Here is a pic of the engine bay at the start... the aim is to return to looking like this as much as poss..

After about 2 hours of casual spannering (and having to drill out a crappy screw holding the trim panel on in front of the inlet mani!!!) it looks like this...

May not look like much but this is whats come off so far...

All I can say is kudos to people who do this for a living... what a PITA!!! Sooooo much stuff needs to come off just to get to the damn head!!!

Anyhoo, back at it Saturday and Sunday too I expect... I WILL have the rods in this weekend if it kills me

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    damn thats a clean machine
    Audi 1.8t quattro
    Mods :Evo 8 ralliart carbon fiber mud flaps ,forge 007p,k&n appolo cold air feed filter, ko4 turbo by backdraft that fits on ko3 mani

2nd Gear

Status

Sooooo much stuff needs to come off just to get to the damn head!!!

<tuffty/>
    Am I just thinking like a single bloke? lol

Badger 5 Edition

Status

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Latest batch of goodies arrived today... engine mounts and exhaust wrap.

Barg for the money...

Back on it tomorrow, fluids out then remove a load of stuff to get to the cam belt and engine mount...

<tuffty/>

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm sorry tuffty I couldn't resist! Car looks like its going to be sweet! I look forward to seeing the results!

Dan

1st Gear

Status
    well paul how did you get on fitting the rods?
    Audi 1.8t quattro

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    Looks exiting, Post more pictures!

Just had the OK from THS to mention that until the end of September, if you go and buy the complete set of mounts from their site (http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/prod...tem_THSFR3-CMP) and use the following code in the basket (SCNFR3CMP) it will give you 69 off the 199 retail price.

There is a 13 delivery charge so this lot cost me 143 in total... bargain

<tuffty/>
    I know Oli who owns and runs THS, Hes a top bloke and does good deals! Im sure your mounts will be top stuff because they get rated very well at APD (My local VAG Tuners/Revo dealer).

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    What you wrapping paul, the exhaust manifold and DP? Also when you fitting the mounts, would like to know how the car will drive and feel when there on.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Was going to do a Saturday update this morning but didn't get time as the cat decided to get stuck up a tree so had to get him down before heading off to Bill's... so here is the weekends update instead...

Saturday:
    All fluids drained... anything to do with removing the cambelt was as always going to be a complete PITA!!! Cambelt top cover required removal of the engine mount and dog bone plus loosening of the gearbox mount to jack the engine up and over enough to get the little plastic cover off!!! then it was the stupid chunky aluminium mounty thing to allow me to release the tensioner.

Anyway, engine is apart, parts have been soaking overnight to clean them and the pile of bits I have had to remove grows larger...
    Pics from Saturday... they are a bit rubbish as I forgot the CF card for my digi cam and took them on the phone instead...

Sunday:
    Started by cleaning up the stuff left in the cleaning booth overnight. Sump needs a bit more work (Bloody AVS, oil baked on to the sump!!!)

Cleaned up the piston, decoked and cleaned out ring slots. Rings looked fine so just did a fine hone of the bores to deglaze.

Pistons and rods ready to be sorted

OEM rods v Integrated Engineering rods

Assembled

Honed...

Fitting last rod in

Pistons/rods in with Tony's seal of approval

I have removed the K04 but not had a good look at it yet.

Few more oil/water pipes to remove and also the OEM downpipe.

Started cleaning the head, other than it being grubby there is nothing more to do there but I have but the cam cover in the cleaner to get rid of the AVS grunge...

Offered up the 330mm discs with the calipers today too... brackets will be sorted tomorrow, just a minor tweak to get the offset right then they can be supplied for those bargain AP calipers on ebay....

Monday evening will consist of dry fitting the turbo/mani to Bills spare engine to mock up the 3" DP, oil and water lines and fitting the S3 charge pipe brkts etc to work out what we need to do to get it attached to the turbo.

<tuffty/>

...Watching you!

Status
    Reminds me of last summer. Good luck with the build!
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    All seems like effort to me lol

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MintyS3 View Post
    All seems like effort to me lol
    Its a little more than anticipated granted... If this thread shows nothing more than how much effort goes into a build then I'll be happy.

Mine should still be relatively easy compared to some. The Polo Bill has in his workshop at the moment has been in for a while now but the space limitations under the bonnet while trying not to turn it into a race car is bordering on ridiculous. The A3/S3 engine bay is capacious comparatively.

Check out the Polo for an idea of 'real' effort

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=218680

<tuffty/>

..got my head together!

Status
    Good work mate. Looks like you're going to complete your build well before my turbo conversion is done.. I'm not even touching the internals lol.

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast