Clutch problems MK4 Golf 1.6...(same everything as 8l 1.6 so dont moan :D)

Ibzzzzz

Reaction score
LONG TIME BOYS!

Well, been off the 8L scene after I gave the A3 to my sister...Just been ******* about with my 'project' golf...but it doesnt seem to be taking off as the car has been giving me problems that the "enthusiasts" on ED38/uk-mkivs can't help with...so I came crawling back to you lot...

Basically the arm that is pushed down by the clutch slave cylinder to engage the clutch isnt springing back.......

I took off the big green cap that has the VW logo embossed (smelly like baby sick oil poured out)into it to find that what ever the arm pushes inside the gearbox housing isnt springing back hence the non springy arm....question is what is that?

Is that the release bearing? Throwout bearing? and what makes it move back and forth?

Knowing the answers to these questions will help me decide weather its worth keeping or burning this heap....To be honest its a brilliant car just gearboxes are *****...

Last edited:
could be a siezed release bearing or damaged one, or the arm could be siezed, prob be best to take the gearbox out and go from there.