bmc or pipercross induction kit

ALP A3

alp a3
Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of getting a induction kit on my a3 1.8t but don’t no what one to pick, bmc or pipercross viper induction kit, what do you lot think, and are the power gains that much. thanks

no power gains at all what ever filter you get, so id go for the cheapest option as it wont really matter

Hi ALP A3, as kev said, you don't get any power gains from an induction kit, the only thing you get is more noise. If you really want to get one though i'd get the BMC and get a cold air feed attached to it :thumbsup:

are there really no power gains to be had? on some cars you can get a bit more bhp released with an induction kit?

i dont see the point trying to cool down air before it enters the turbo really, just a pannel filter is enough to aid flow as by the time the air hits the turbo its going to be hot anyway your much better off cooling the air temps after the air has past through the turbo and on its way to the engine imo

Last edited:
are there really no power gains to be had? on some cars you can get a bit more bhp released with an induction kit?

True, with some cars you can gain a small amount of power, but the S3 stock air filter is good for up to 300bhp so no real need for an induction kit other than gaining more induction noise, other cars can benifit from induction kit's but not the S3.

:respekt:

ok thanks for clearing that up, was thinking of spending some money getting one because its normally the cheapest wat to squeeze some extra power! but with no gains i wont bother! thanks for saving me the cash :)

This brings up the question, what is the cheapest and easiest way to get a little bit more power?

This brings up the question, what is the cheapest and easiest way to get a little bit more power?

Use 99 ron fuel, Shell V-power or some tescos sell it.
Might add an extra 1BHP lol

Last edited:
on a standard car (by standard i mean even chipped) it will make no difference whatsoever. replacing the filter for a standard new paper one will prob make just as much of a difference.

I have a BMC with cold air feed on order for the weekend, only picked up the A3 on monday night, will see if there is anything to gain, apart from any gains it looks a little better under the hood also!

You'll gain the induction noise. Like already said, with a good cold air feed you MIGHT gain an hp maybe - but if you just stick one on without an air feed then you'll actually lose power because of the heated air that you'll be dumping into the engine.

Best "bang-for-buck" is a chip. An induction kit to me is like the relocated DV mod - something to consider when everything else you wanted to do is done and your just tinkering.

Getting a cold air feed and maybe creating a good heat shield could be a fun project when you've nothing left to do?