Chris NottBadger5
    2nd Gear

Status

Car had to be towed today.......

Well as the subject says, my car had to be toed today approximately 7 mile to Midland VW.

Obviously im aware its not advisable due to it being a Quattro. I had the engine running as much as possible but it kept dying due to a fault somewhere. Will i have caused much if any damage to the 4wd mech?

Someone shed some light please!
    A4 B7 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition Gloss Red, BOSE, 18" Black RS4s, Black / Grey Leather, Sat Nav

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    was there no way you couldnt have requested a flatbed?
    Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI Quattro Sport 2004

2nd Gear

Status
    Nope, the AA told me that because the car could start and drive, even thought it would stop without warning when it reached a certain temperature; they couldnt supply a flatbed or arrange for someone to move it, they told me i had to bite the bullet and get it to the garage, some 14 mile away!

So, will it be ok?! It didnt seem to make any strange noises, or at least not that i noticed!
    A4 B7 2.0 TDi S-Line Special Edition Gloss Red, BOSE, 18" Black RS4s, Black / Grey Leather, Sat Nav

Smell my finger.

Status
    I'd have done it ignition on and in neutral. If there's no drive to the wheels surely it wont cause any bother?.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

5th Gear

Status
    I towed mine 30 + miles when it broke down. Put it in neutral and it was fine

Was over 12 months ago and i've done 10k since then so it didn't do it any harm.

5th Gear

Status
    thought it was autos you arn't supposed to tow?

S3's arn't proper 4 wheel drive anyway so id imagine it would be fine
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the help guys, wasnt sure on the basis of it not being permanent 4wd, i turned ESP irrespective, wasnt sure whether that might resolve in the 4wd kicking in or trying to if it felt the wheels were spinning due to lack of load.

Not to worry then, just hope Midland VW find the fault and tell me good news

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Mark, dont worry mate, the car is in good hands with the MVW boys, they will be able to sort it no probs.

Let us know how you get on mate.

3rd Gear

Status
    Advise is not to tow above 30 miles per hour and can't remember the mileage.

My non-tech understanding is that the prob is that heats the oil in the haldex which is normally circulated (and temp therefore regulated?), but only under drive. Hence the potential for damage. Sure someone can explain that better than me.

AA should have guidelines for towing as per above. Last year when my clutch pedal went i was offered a tow and refused, and they got a low loader no probs (and took me 30 miles).

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the help guys. Ive been taking my Audi's to Mid VW for about 4 years now, never put a foot wrong in my opinion and would recommend them to anyone!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Should be ok, it says in the AA manual that you can tow an Audi A3 quattro, but it doesn't list an S3, still they are essentially both have the same running gear! So long as both the front and rear axles are rotating at the same speed, I can't see how it can be damaged, and if it has ESP, pulling the handbrake to the first notch will disengage the Haldex totally.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

6th Gear

Status
    any news?
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah got my car back from Midland VW today, all working perfectly. The cutting out turned out to be the engine speed sensor (or crank sensor to most of us) playing up when the engine warmed up!

Had my passenger window regulator changed (window would never go back up on its own), a split oil breather replaced and throttle body cleaned out, crank sensor replaced along with a diagnosis on running a tad rough (turned out to be a faulty MAF and running on 95 ron) for a measly 270 - bargain!

Well chuffed with the car now, and as usual, will be taking it back for a few more bits and pieces when i can afford to lose the car for a day or two!

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Nice one Mark, glad you got the car sorted and all is well...

Happy days

Neutral

Status
    great news! now get your costs back!

5th Gear

Status
    Sounds like a good garage ! Sounds like your all sorted.

6th Gear

Status
    midland vw are a very good garage. very honest.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour