Boot catch problem

DavidW

Reaction score
Just been out to the car to get something out of the boot and now it wont catch. The electronic mechanism is working when I press the key but the metal claw in the catch wont stay down, even if I push it down with manually with the boot open. Any suggestions?

This happened to me a while back. I removed the unit to check the mechanism within. Part of it had rusted. After some manual effort moving the peices and some lubrication it has been fine.

This also happened to me when i bought my car, i sprayed a load of wd40 on mine and it loosened up.

If the latch still plays up it's just as easy to get a whole new latch unit, the microswitch in mine went and would show on the display that the boot was open when it was actualy closed. The whole new part was only £28 for my car and a easy job as I managed it!

Seems to be fixed for now. Took it in bits and the two plastic parts inside weren't working together to hold the latch in place. A bit of messing with a screwdriver and some WD has solved it. If it returns I'll probably just replace the actual latch section.

The part number for the new boot latch on my car is: 8p3 827 505 hope that helps if anybody else has the same problem.
Cheers Matt