Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    2nd Gear

Status

Traveling 340Miles tommorrow, anyone know when/how my A3 1.8T will be most economic?

Hello all,

Pretty much as it says in the title.

Does anyone know at what rev range / speed an A3 is most economic?
    My A3 has a 3"decat/downpipe and a remap.

Im sure that from trips to work 90mph motorway journey is better for fuel than a 70mph journey through trial and error.

But that is a 12 mile journey.

Does anyone know the best revs/speed to sit at when traveling 170miles each way?

Thanks in advance. Ryan
    Audi S3 MTM
    345 BHP, K26 Turbo - MTM Manifold, Downpipe and Milltek Cat Back
    Polished Inlet - Facelift Front & Rear - Black Badges, Welly FMIC, N249 Bypass,

To Come - Anthracite Rs4s

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE:
    Audi S3 Genuine Chrome Mirror Caps. PM Me for Details

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    you tight git! lol

5th Gear

Status
    I find it best around 3000 rpm in the S3 is quite good
    Ive been Badger 5'd

Can we break the magic 300?????? In a word Yes 314 BHP 249 lbft at Badger 5

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    steves is way quicker than any stock turbo'd s3 i have driven
    I only date skinny Women! They keep my power to weight higher...

Audi S3

Status
    i find it best too stick around 80mph about 3000rpm
    Audi S3 is up for grab.......

Smell my finger.

Status
    No need to bury the throttle, just keep it constant and light and you'll see good MPG.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

S3X

Status
    Just keep your eye on the instant MPG readout on your dash (I guess your car has one?) and take note of the speed that gives the best MPG and stick to that. Also let of the throttle when you are going down hill and coast for a bit to save fuel...
    52 plate S3 / Ming Blue / 60K / Celtic Tuning Re-Map, Allegedly 278 Bhp-256 lb/ft (not proven/no chance)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    A smidge Under 3000 revs is where it's at which is 70 mph in our 6 speed TQS

Neutral

Status
    Leave it at home and borrow your dads diesel !!
    1999 S3 Quattro. Stolen by my cousin in exchange for pennies !!

Honda Civic Type R Premier

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Walk it and you will won't use any fuel, it'll take you ages to get there though.....

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Status
    I did the same miles last week going to Durham and got 37 MPG,Specs on the M1 but otherwise I was doing 80 ish I got 400 out of that tank

2nd Gear

Status
    thanks Voorhees.

Nice to hear someones view form experience.

I think im gonna do another trial and error, 80-90mph if possible the whole way, constant, and report back how many mpg i got and how many miles to a full tank.

Thanks
    Audi S3 MTM

FOR SALE:

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I stick to 80 on a motorway... cruise control baby!!!

I would have thought a tank of fuel would cover the 340miles...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    chipped TQS at 70, not exceeding 3000rpm made 420 per tank ladden with tools

5th Gear

Status
    I went to North Devon the beginning of July from Oxford, at ~195miles

Cruise control set to ~72mph all the way on the M4/M5 & A30. Averaged 44mpg according to DIS. Eventually with 4 days of zipping around the back roads from golf club to cricket ground, and a similar trip back, ended up averaging 38mpg and got 498miles off my 1st tank. (Spotted cheap fuel and had 45miles left on DIS)

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

1st Gear

Status
    I stick to around 72-75mph on long trips. I regularly do Cumbria-Oxfordshire and used to previously do Aberdeen- Cumbria. Both around 550 miles for the whole trip. I averaged 38mpg each way which isn't bad. Doesn't take much longer than bombing around at 100mph either to be quite honest. 20-30 minutes per trip if that. I believe the 1.8T and S3 have more or less the same mpg anyway so you should be ok sitting at the speed to save fuel. ~3000rpm.

I need cruise control in the S3 though, sometimes it's too tempting to overtake something...

Been quoted 195. Good or bad for a retro-fit cruise to an S3? If anyone knows cheaper around Oxfordshire that would be great!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by omegadirective View Post
    I stick to around 72-75mph on long trips. I regularly do Cumbria-Oxfordshire and used to previously do Aberdeen- Cumbria. Both around 550 miles for the whole trip. I averaged 38mpg each way which isn't bad. Doesn't take much longer than bombing around at 100mph either to be quite honest. 20-30 minutes per trip if that. I believe the 1.8T and S3 have more or less the same mpg anyway so you should be ok sitting at the speed to save fuel. ~3000rpm.

I need cruise control in the S3 though, sometimes it's too tempting to overtake something...

Been quoted 195. Good or bad for a retro-fit cruise to an S3? If anyone knows cheaper around Oxfordshire that would be great!
    I know what you mean. Makes my regular trips to Cumbria a breeze!!

I got http://www.vwcruise.com/index.html to fit mine last year. They came out from London, and did me a deal, as a colleague had it fitted to his TT at the same time. I think they are quoting 174 at the moment, plus travel costs.

It is fairly easy to do yourself, with ~60 worth of parts, but IIRC you may need access to a full version of VAG-COM.

Where in Oxfordshire are you?

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:

S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Neutral

Status
    Got 48 mpg out of my 1.8T going at constant 60mph, it's not remapped.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post
    I know what you mean. Makes my regular trips to Cumbria a breeze!!

I got http://www.vwcruise.com/index.html to fit mine last year. They came out from London, and did me a deal, as a colleague had it fitted to his TT at the same time. I think they are quoting 174 at the moment, plus travel costs.

It is fairly easy to do yourself, with ~60 worth of parts, but IIRC you may need access to a full version of VAG-COM.

Where in Oxfordshire are you?

Cheers,
    I'm working near Oxford but live up in Banbury. Was very tempted to do it myself but I have no experience with VAG-COM and no access to one. I'd like to have a guarantee on the work done too. I was looking at VWCruise, they seem like the best deal.

174.99 with a 20 call out fee for being within 50 miles of Reading (at work). If they could do me a deal that would be great but I have no-one near me requiring the same thing! I also fancied the Sat-Nav too but thats just unjustifyable at the moment for me.

Any problems at all with the cruise control fitting?

As for the Cumbria trip - have you noticed that going up is always SOOOO much quicker than coming back?!

5th Gear

Status
    I'm working near Oxford but live up in Banbury. Was very tempted to do it myself but I have no experience with VAG-COM and no access to one. I'd like to have a guarantee on the work done too. I was looking at VWCruise, they seem like the best deal.

174.99 with a 20 call out fee for being within 50 miles of Reading (at work). If they could do me a deal that would be great but I have no-one near me requiring the same thing! I also fancied the Sat-Nav too but thats just unjustifyable at the moment for me.

Any problems at all with the cruise control fitting?
    No problems at all. I thought about RNS-E, but could not justify the cost at all. Just waiting for Tom-Tom on my iPhone...

As for the Cumbria trip - have you noticed that going up is always SOOOO much quicker than coming back?!
    Really? I always find it quicker on the way back. Then again, I usually leave to go up at lunchtime Friday, and set off back >9pm

Best ever time Kendal to Bicester is 2h21mins, do the maths on 212 miles door to door. Not done that for many years now, as I like my license, and fuel is too expensive!!

What do you go to Cumbria for? I grew up there and my folks still live in Kendal.
    Alistair

Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:

1st Gear

Status
    No problems at all. I thought about RNS-E, but could not justify the cost at all. Just waiting for Tom-Tom on my iPhone...

I have a Navman which works but I'd love a built in unit. Crazy money though! I haven't got anything on my iPhone though.

Really? I always find it quicker on the way back. Then again, I usually leave to go up at lunchtime Friday, and set off back >9pm

Best ever time Kendal to Bicester is 2h21mins, do the maths on 212 miles door to door. Not done that for many years now, as I like my license, and fuel is too expensive!!

What do you go to Cumbria for? I grew up there and my folks still live in Kendal.

I leave early in the morning or really late at night normally Friday PM or Sat AM. I was 3.5 hours up the other week and almost 5 coming back down! I normally come back around midday so tend to get in Sunday returning traffic too which can't help matters!

I take my time on these trips. I grudge the price of fuel now. I do a 280 mile trip up, so slightly more than you. My other half lives up there, so it's an unfortunately regular wallet drain. Still studying up there so she's not able to move away yet. I have family in Cumbria too but I don't see them so much as they're retired and off exploring the world with all their savings!

Is your S3 remapped mate? I'm tempted to get it done by MRC Tuning in Banbury but will only go ahead if I can have my cake and eat it by improving power and fuel consumption. I do a 70 mile round trip for work and it's bloody expensive!
    Last edited by omegadirective; 24th July 2009 at 12:11.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    what ever you do dont dump the clutch on inclines...... it causes the engine to go into idle mode which uses more fuel than when you not using the acelerator at all
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

2nd Gear

Status
    The best is surely going to be @56mph? - as that's the "official" mpg test speed.

But it's normally a compromise of speed Vs economics - on motorways I've found 70 - 80 mph to be the best all-round.
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

1st Gear

Status
    I haven't got anything on my iPhone though.
    Jailbreak it with redsn0w and use 'torrents' to download Sygic or Navigon whole european maps

Send me a PM if you need more info. Ive got them running on my iPhone 3GS and the wifes 3G.

Jason

1st Gear

Status
    I'm not gonna jailbreak my iPhone, I've done it before and didn't like it on my phone. I've jailbroken my touch though, never use it anymore.

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by IIIadidasboy View Post
    The best is surely going to be @56mph? - as that's the "official" mpg test speed.

and the official figures for fuel consumption are never wrong ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    and the official figures for fuel consumption are never wrong ?
    OOoooooooooooh - how can you say that!!!!
    I've always imagined (on newer cars) that manufacturers simply "de-tune" the power when your top gear is at 56 mph - to "fabricate" a better mpg.
    2003 ARY A3 TQS - totally bog except for 18" Dezent Motion Blacks - Hopefully the Brembo Jr will fit these and I can start to update my sig!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Ive done my trip.

Its was 355 Miles.

I dont jnow what i was averaging at, but i was going at a steady 75mph-80mph. (according to sat nav, not speedo!)

And ofcourse the 50mph through the average speedchecks and roadworks.

I have done 355miles and the needle is now between quarter and half.
    My DIS says I have another 150miles.

So i geuss this 51 litres is gonna give me 500miles give or take according to the next 100 odd miles of driving.

Im impressed.

that works out near 48mpg.
    Audi S3 MTM

FOR SALE:

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Doing 900 miles tuesday morning from 2am, what yer reckon 2 or 3 tanks to italy

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    im planning to drive to alps..if its cheaper than flying..plus for the windy roads
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Doing 900 miles tuesday morning from 2am, what yer reckon 2 or 3 tanks to italy
    tank and a half

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by emery1990 View Post
    im planning to drive to alps..if its cheaper than flying..plus for the windy roads
    You will be supprised dude!! you need a bloody economical car (and with 3 people in it) to break even! the tolls are bloody expensive ya looking around 100 to the closer ski resorts! if your going to the southern alps could be upto 150

S3 Drift King!

Status
    48mpg?! That's better than diesel economy!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!