95/98 RON

• Thread starter imported_MancheS3er
  • Start date
I

imported_MancheS3er

I know this is probably a stupid question but what do I get for my extra 5p and who or what is RON.

I'm talking super unleaded for anyone still wondering what I'm going on about.

Why is my car going to perform better with 98 RON's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RON is the measure of octane in the petrol. Higher octance apparently means better performance, although this is negligable.

I find sometimes that if ive been using super, then have to go back to unleaded, that the car feels quicker... but this could be my mind playing tricks...Cos sometimes it also happens the other way. I use 97RON as much as possible (would use 98 if there was anywhere local that sols it for a reasonable price...but 90p/litre is insane!)

Rich

Would be nice to have a dyno-graph to compare, I doubt there are any notable diffrence. But when its chipped you need to run on 98 otherwise the Ecu will lower the boost due to knocking.

[ QUOTE ]
But when its chipped you need to run on 98 otherwise the Ecu will lower the boost due to knocking

[/ QUOTE ]

Dani what do you mean by this knocking?

I filled my S3 up with regular Esso unleaded for the first time recently (normally only ever use Optimax (98 RON) or BP Ultimate (97/98, i think), have noticed it feeling slower, but it's hard to tell as it could all be in my head! What I have definitely noticed is the fuel consumption, it has been reduced quite a lot compared to when I use higher octane fuels. I have been logging all my fuel consumption on an excel spreadsheet (i'm sad like that!), so will fill up once more with regular, so I can get a better picture to compare.

I put half a tank of Optimax (85.5p) and half a tank of normal unleaded (77.9p)

She runs great!

my regular unleaded is 81.9 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I dont get why fuel prices are different all over the country.... Its bullsh*t!

Mike, you pay 5p a litre less than I do for regular unleaded! It seems a bit sh!t to me, Oil companies maintain that prices are dictated by the cost of oil by the barrel, but this proves that they have (at least) a 5p margin that could be reduced. It's not like I live somewhere remote!

Just for the record, I pay 82.9 for normal, 87.9 for optimax. Rich, how come super's so much more than regular for you!!!! takes the p!ss.

The science is that with a higher octane fuel you can advance the ignition further which in turn adds power etc. The knock sensors will detect the beginings of detonation slightly later and tell the ECU to adjust the timing etc etc.

It will only be a degree or so tho.

So yes, you do get an improvement, but its very small.

Also you will only notice a difference if you fill up from empty with a different fuel as the two would mix.

i remember that when i raced the 7 someone had proved that mixing 95 and 98 gave better performance. but the 8v 1600 vauxall engine is not quite as sophisticated as the S3 me thinks!!

So which garages provide 98 RON Fuel? Can we get a list together.....
I take it Shell and Esso do, any more?

Really long post on here a while ago explaining the differences between different fuels (particuarly between Ultimate and optimax) including a "deatailed" bit from each company.

cant find it...if anyone else has any luck do the honers with copy and paste please?

Cheers

Yeah, I can't seem to find it, it was a reply from someone that had written to Shell/BP. If I can remember correctly, it said that BP Guaruntees that Ultimate is 97 RON, but it is more often 98. Optimax is never less than 98 RON, they both mentioned another statistic that made them better than the competition. But I can't ****** remember what it said! If anyone has any luck finding the pos, let us know!

so using bp ultimate isnt a bad thing then?

I tend to use only Bp Ultimate or Optimax, but preferably Optimax. I can't tell any difference between these (whereas I can with "lesser" super unleaded), but it was mainly based on what I read in the post I can't find!!!
Helps, as there is a Shell garage near my house on my way to/from work, so not much of a decision needed really!

yeah, theres loads of bp's on all my usual routes..so it makes life easier!

Just to really wind everyone up about the cost of petrol in the Uk....

I recently came back from my holidays in the Caribbean where i stayed in margarita, it's a small island just off the south american coast. The petrol over there was BP and cost 4p per litre!!!!!!

Yes 4p!!!!! Makes the phrase "rip off Britain" more true!

so, just doing the maths....that means it would cost me £2 and, er, 20p to full tank it.....instead of £45....

[ QUOTE ]
JamS3 said:
Just to really wind everyone up about the cost of petrol in the Uk....

I recently came back from my holidays in the Caribbean where i stayed in margarita, it's a small island just off the south american coast. The petrol over there was BP and cost 4p per litre!!!!!!

Yes 4p!!!!! Makes the phrase "rip off Britain" more true!

[/ QUOTE ]

shame you cant order this over the web! Now that would be usefull!