Does This Sound Like My Turbo's Dying!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So this morning i was driving with the radio off and noticed this noise coming from the engine bay, when i got home turned the engine off and back on and it had gone then when i revved the engine past 2400rpm the noise came back.
I hope to god it isnt the sound of my turbo going :sadlike:, here's a video of the sound, its the clunking/ticking noise in the back:

Edit, new link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIdG6Qo6vo

Last edited:
that sounds weird...... doesnt sound like i would expect the turbo to though

Jesus that sounds nasty. Sounds like the tappets and really old ford engines. Mine sounds total quiet in comarison the yours. hope its not terminal m8.

I would guess its the cam chain tensioner. Ours sounded like it had a death rattle until i changed it. Although our TQS didnt rattle all of the time,just on start up for a while then it went. Assuming the oil light hasnt come on and that the services are done with full synth etc then hopefully it's not a pressure issue

Yeah FSH, just topped oil up but im running fully synth oil. So whats the worst case and not worst case?

Just to add the noise only starts once the turbo has come on boost, so the car can be sat at 900rpm no noise, rev it to 24-2800rpm say the the noise is there and once it rest's back at 900rpm its then there so im guessing its turbo related!

When my dads turbo went on his b5 it did sound similar but if that noise is because of your turbo you won't have much oil left after a spirited drive, hope it isn't the turbo mate

Well just been altering some pipe work with the catch tank and checked the oil at the same time and it was abit low so topped it up and took it for a drive and no more noise! Strange or what?

So what your saying sandip is if i rag the car for say an hour and check the oil itll be pretty much gone!

yeah, you don't have to rag it for an hour, if the turbo was bust you would lose oil pretty quick.
When my dads turbo went a few years ago, it sounds rattley and it lost boost, checked the oil and there wasn't any, so we did a full oil/filter change, took it for a drive, drove a bit better but when we got home, checked oil again and it was all gone!
We've done the oil and filter change every 6-8k, we bought the car at 40k and the turbo went at around 100k, the reason why it went was a blocked oil feed pipe.

yeah, you don't have to rag it for an hour, if the turbo was bust you would lose oil pretty quick.
When my dads turbo went a few years ago, it sounds rattley and it lost boost, checked the oil and there wasn't any, so we did a full oil/filter change, took it for a drive, drove a bit better but when we got home, checked oil again and it was all gone!
We've done the oil and filter change every 6-8k, we bought the car at 40k and the turbo went at around 100k, the reason why it went was a blocked oil feed pipe.

What other signs apart from excessive smoke, vast oil consumption are there to say it's going?

Poor boost, strange howling noise as the shaft can't spin freely. Another thing you could check is the shaft itself, if you remove the tip and just check if there is any play in the shaft itself, excessive play isn't a good thing

Poor boost, strange howling noise as the shaft can't spin freely. Another thing you could check is the shaft itself, if you remove the tip and just check if there is any play in the shaft itself, excessive play isn't a good thing

Shaft! You mean the turbo's internals? Seems hold boost perfect.

yeah, the turbine is on a shaft what you can pinch and check iicr, if your holding boost then i doubt your turbo is at fault. When my dads went the shaft had quite a bit of play, so the turbine tends to get stuck because its not balanced.
Is it still making a noise though bud?

Not after i filled up with oil which i find weird but i did double check all boost etc and i did alter some pipe layouts. I going out tonight so im going to keep an hear out and let you all know how i get on.

Ok so after taking the car out last night ive realised two things.
One, the turbo is fine, after a good listen around the engine me and a mate realised the noise was coming from under the charge pipe, its coming from the black casing under it and isnt that the cambelt, now what does this indicate, that its on its way out or has something just come lose?
Second, the car has a flat spot between 3-5000rpm before and after this it pulls like a train so im guessing the maf's shot!

Thats where mine sounds like its coming from between the coolant and washer bottles

Thats where mine sounds like its coming from between the coolant and washer bottles

Well im sure someone else has mentioned where you mean and its todo with tha black box inbetween the two and its meant to sound like that, forgot what it was but mines actualy on the engine itself.

unplug it Dani....go for a drive and if the flat spot remains then it isnt the MAF....simples ;)

It's the charcoal canister or something that's ticking isn't it? That's what I was going to suggest when I first read this post Dani, but you seemed insistant it was coming from the Turbo.

Ok picture time, the noise in the video is coming from here:

it around the black cover.

The noise i think steve and maybe some of you guys mean is coming from here but its always made a noise, its the other noise im worried about:

I would guess its the cam chain tensioner. Ours sounded like it had a death rattle until i changed it. Although our TQS didnt rattle all of the time,just on start up for a while then it went. Assuming the oil light hasnt come on and that the services are done with full synth etc then hopefully it's not a pressure issue

And if you want to DIY http://www.ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/index.html

Yes, have the same issue and searched high and low for the answer. Charcoal Canister and Purge Valve was one and Cambelt was the other, however both has been replaced. Leaving the Cam Tensioner and Chain; it'll take 3/4 hours to sort and the parts are @£500; so about £700 all in. I decided to leave it as I had forked out a small fortune already

Yes, have the same issue and searched high and low for the answer. Charcoal Canister and Purge Valve was one and Cambelt was the other, however both has been replaced. Leaving the Cam Tensioner and Chain; it'll take 3/4 hours to sort and the parts are @£500; so about £700 all in. I decided to leave it as I had forked out a small fortune already

So have you left yours then?
Can it cause any problems because if not itll be getting left as noway can i fork out on the car at the moment.

I agree with jojo that sounds like its the charcoal canister, mine does it from time to time. If you put your hand on the canister you can actually feeling the clicking. Try that first mate.

So just been doing a bit of research on this and just want to know will i need a new cam chain or tensioner or both to solve the problem?

My gasket went on the turbo last month and it sounded a bit like that, its gone several times and havnt had the same sound each time