New Turbo

JonnyG2606

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking to replace the turbo on my 2001 S3 and looking for some advice.

I will probably take the car to Badger5 and Bill suggested I speak to CR Turbos. They have told me they offer a std recon unit at £295 + VAT and a Hybrid at £495 + VAT.

The car currently has a CC Stage 1 map, Jetex cat-back, Green Panel Filter and Forge 007P.

I am not really looking to upgrade the car much further - Replacing the turbo as I think it is on its way out. Should I just go for a std replacement or would there be any benefit in going for the hybrid?

yes, you will need to have it mapped to see any real gains though.

You can get quite a lot of extra power from a hybrid, check out this dyno from a JBS hybrid and a few other mods:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147711

JBS05STDMANISTG1.jpg

Few things to consider mate, if you go for the hybrid i'd recommend allowing extra cash for a fmic as mine heatsoaked badly when i didnt have one a must have IMO

Also my clutch is now slipping due to the extra torque which is also something to consider as you may need to uprate and that is pricey (1k upwards)

Not trying to put you off mate just things to think about as things soon as up, i suppose it depends on how far you want to take the car and how much you want to spend really

Hope this helps mate

Gareth

i heared the cr turbo hybrid is only good for a maximum of 280bhp so its not an all out hybrid like the jbs one posted above think its just a modified turbin and thats about it, so problems with other components shouldnt be to bad as they wont be under much more stress then a maxed out std k04, as for the fmic id recomend doing that even with just a remapp as the standard ones are rubbish,
f your not after massive power and reliability go for the cr hybrid just dont expect any more then 280bhp

I would say you need to go stage 2 on your remap too if you want to reap the benefits of a hybrid. CC state a 40% discount on a stage 2 if you already have a stage 1. This is the route I am looking to take.

Wouldn't run more than 1.4bar though and if Bill is mapping it for you he won't take it beyond that anyway.

<tuffty/>

Is that 1.4 Bar holding to max RPM?

I assume it would peak between 1.6 and 1.8 bar?

Cheers

Thanks boys, as said, probably wouldn't go much further in terms of engine mods, just looking for that piece of mind that the turbo is up to the job of coping with the remap. At the moment i do not really use the performance coz i am bricking it that the turbo is going to fail (it sounds very rattly on boost so don't know if it is the bearing or what)

Olly P - i have seen that graph before and also the JBS one of the 2001 S3 just with the CC stage 1 map which made 263bhp - I would be very happy with that sort of amount and i have the same mods.