Milltek - resonated or non-resonated?

banoffee

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a Milltek cat-back, which should I go for? How quiet is the res and how loud is the non-res? :think:

Just fitted the NON res to my S3 yesterday and i was surprised how quiet it was. I was expecting boy racer but its only just a little louder than stock. I am running a stock airbox and filter though.

Thanks. By the way, what's the difference between the 'jet' and 'special' tailpipes on these? Can't see any more info on the Milltek site.

i went with Jet but the special from what i have seen is stainless on the inside of the tail pipes aswell so just nore stuff to keep shiney:drool:

OK thanks. If you find yourself really bored one day, would be great to hear a sound clip / see a video of your Milltek :happy:

Hi mate iv just got a Milltek cat-back with non-res on my A3 1.8t and it sounds the dogs. why spend the cash with out the sound lol

Hi mate iv just got a Milltek cat-back with non-res on my A3 1.8t and it sounds the dogs. why spend the cash with out the sound lol

ive got a miltek on my s3, i think its too quite, nice burble on idle but when im going the only thing i can here is my induction, and thats with the addition of a pipewerx downpipe and sports cat

milesg - Is your milltek Resonanted or Non-Resonated?

My standard S3 exhuast is starting to go so looking to replace it with a Milltek but not sure on which one to get.

Am particularly interested in how loud the non-res is inside the car... do like nice sound but not excessive / boyraceresque and don't want it to be too much noise inside. Pretty sure I should get the resonated however am keen to hear how much louder the non-res really is. Bring on the youtube clips :)

im unsure if ive got unreasonated or not as it was on the car when i got it, however i would say that if i have got the quieter one then it is barely noticeable noise wise without the windows down and i cant here anything but engine from 3000rpm, unless you really want a miltek exhaust i would try and find out what others are like noise wise, im thinkng of changing mine for a supersprint however im not sure what there like noise wise.

The Milltek resonated is quiter than standard, the non resonated is perfect, its still fairly quite on idle and on part throttle then gets louder on boost

The Milltek resonated is quiter than standard, the non resonated is perfect, its still fairly quite on idle and on part throttle then gets louder on boost

don't suppose you fancy recording how it sounds do you? :sly:

Sack Miltek, questionable quality from some reports I've read lately (cheap grade stainless from what I've seen) and over priced for what they are.

I saved a £100 and had a custom 3" catback system made in full stainless. Quailty bit of kit, plus you can ask them to make it as loud or quiet as you want :)

Have a look for local exhaust fabrication places and pay them a visit, you'd be shocked how much cheaper it is to get one made from scratch than pay for an off the shelf item.

T

Hi Guys, i am about to have fitted the Milltek non-resonated Catback system with the 'special' pipes. The pipe differences visually are the Jet version are cut off vertically whereas the Special is angled to look sportier, pics can be seen here

I also had trouble finding any sound files on the resonated and non-res difference, once i have it fitted ill bang a vid on Youtube, but im gonna take the plunge with <gulp> the noisier version.

Re: A3Tom - i have heard only good things in the main about Milltek, throttle response and a few extra hp and a nicer sound without being too 'boy racer'... ticks all my boxes.

I did find these sounds... Sound 1 and Sound 2

Last edited:
I understand that a lot of people have them and are happy with them but I've heard of quality issues lately with them (not performance), cracking welds etc etc.

I also dont see why I should spend an extra hundred quid on something that I can get hand made in front of my very eyes that I know is fantastic quality but perhaps thats just me :)

i'll give it a go tomorrow but might have to be a phone video

I understand that a lot of people have them and are happy with them but I've heard of quality issues lately with them (not performance), cracking welds etc etc.

I also dont see why I should spend an extra hundred quid on something that I can get hand made in front of my very eyes that I know is fantastic quality but perhaps thats just me :)

i no what you mean, the reason i got milltek is because the local exhaust fabricators near me dont understand ''not too loud'' and the quietest silencers nearly burst your ear drums!!

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
i no what you mean, the reason i got milltek is because the local exhaust fabricators near me dont understand ''not too loud'' and the quietest silencers nearly burst your ear drums!!

The place that did mine for me started off with one massive can at the back but it was a bit too loud for my tastes. He told me to think about it for a week and if I still wasnt happy he'd put an extra can in for me which he did :) Cant grumble at service like that. I dont like loud cars but I do like a little bit of noise (nothing silly though).

It comes alive when you give it the beans but its nice and quiet when cruising about now so I'm well happy.

Yeh, sounds like you got a good deal A3Tom - im knew to the whole modifying cars so trying to digest as much info as i can, just hope i dont sound too much like a boy racer with the non-res, although im told it's still 'classy' rather than OI!!!! can you hear me coming!!! wooohoooo!!!!

Yeh, sounds like you got a good deal A3Tom - im knew to the whole modifying cars so trying to digest as much info as i can, just hope i dont sound too much like a boy racer with the non-res, although im told it's still 'classy' rather than OI!!!! can you hear me coming!!! wooohoooo!!!!

Hey no worries!

The Miltek non resonated sound great, my mate has one on his Golf. Mines a bit deeper sounding than his though (bigger diameter pipework might be why?).

I was all set to get a Miltek on mine but they were on back order for an age when I wanted to sort it out. I did a bit of hunting and found a decent builder local to me and got a price from them. I'm suprised Miltek charge what they do for their systems though, seems steep when you can get a custom one made for a lot less. I'd always go the custom route from now on and save pennies to spend on other things for the car (bottomless pit!)

Reactions: Enkei84
Sack Miltek, questionable quality from some reports I've read lately (cheap grade stainless from what I've seen) and over priced for what they are.

I saved a £100 and had a custom 3" catback system made in full stainless. Quailty bit of kit, plus you can ask them to make it as loud or quiet as you want :)

Have a look for local exhaust fabrication places and pay them a visit, you'd be shocked how much cheaper it is to get one made from scratch than pay for an off the shelf item.

T

Do you know what I can expect in terms of power and sound from a custom exhaust compared to the Milltek? Sounds stupid, but I would rather know what im buying, even if the quality is questionable on Millteks.

I Have a Centre res section miltek brand new if anyone wants it??..:)

Do you know what I can expect in terms of power and sound from a custom exhaust compared to the Milltek? Sounds stupid, but I would rather know what im buying, even if the quality is questionable on Millteks.

Sound from a custom exhaust will be as loud or as quiet as you want. You just get them to make it to your specs.

As for power, I dont know...but my car does feel a bit pokier with mine one. Cant compare it to a Miltek as I've never had one but 3" straight through is going to be better than standard for sure.

T

i did a couple of vids in the car but non of them sounded anything like it does in real life:shrug:

this vid doesn't sound much like the car but you get the idea (non res)
player.swf
http://http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad128/homer_s3/?action=view&current=DSCI0005.flv
player.swf

oooh thats much 'raspier' than mine, sounds cool :)

so, anyone with a resonated milltek on an S3 that they can share? :ermm:

Hey guys - not sure if anyone else was there, but i was up at Castle Combe on Saturday at the VW /AUDI event - had a good chat with the Milltek guys whilst i was there.

.1. If you only want a subtle sound change then a catback resonated will be fine and will only sound slightly deeper in higher revs.
.2. If you want a slightly meatier sound go for a turboback resonated system, which gives better performance than just a catback, and will be overall louder than just catback.
.3. If you want a sound increase but not to 'Boomy' then a catback non-resonated is perfect. This will of course be cheaper than a full turboback system although performance will not be quite as good (£££ over BHP i guess).
.4. If you go for a full turboback system non-resonated the sound will be too 'boomy' for the average day-to-day driving unless you want to be heard. :hubbahubba:

I'm still scheduled to have a catback non-resonated fitted in the next week or so, ill try and take a sound bite before and after..

Last edited:
so does anyone have a resonated catback milltek on their S3 that fancys posting up a clip?

What Miltek seem to have said at CC above is rubbish!

The Golfs and stock A3s are notoriously boomy with the smaller rear box, but the miltek S3 rear box is so massive, that even with a BT 3 inch sportscat / DP, no centre box and the Miltek rear box, (non resoated "system") there is no drone or boom at all!

I too have heard though that the Miltek quality has redcued of late, so unless they are making them cheaper with ledd wadding, I would go non resonated. It also means that there is less chance of the centre box/pipe catching on the prop when it rains, ie no centre box give more clearance! !!

Still no idea on what to go for!!! Is anyone local to Crewe with a Milltek system I could come and have a listen to in real life?

I've got a non resonated milltek cat back on my current s3, and I had a resonated milltek on my old s3.

To be honest, there isn't a massive difference between the two systems, I love the non res that I've got on my current s3 as it has a slightly deeper sportier note than the resonated system but is still easy to live with and isn't drowny on the motorway. I find that it has the deep tone on idle, and around 2k revs, but at higher revs it doesn't really sound any louder than the stock or resonated exhaust.

The resonated system is barely any different noise wise to the stock exhaust.

Hey guys i have just bought a milltek exhaust cat back(res) when i get it fitted(soon) I will put some clips up. I did not want my car to sound any louder than standard but when I put my foot down I wanted to hear it boosting out of the back. I went for the res as not to drown the boost noise out with exhaust sound if you get me!

My non res system sounds lovely and boosty, was pleasantly suprised when I let my mate drive it down the road so I could stand out and hear it. Get a nice combination of deep exhaust tone and a whooooshing of the turbo. :)