A3 1.8T Dump Valve Problems

foolish3uk

Reaction score
hi i have a A3 1.8T (AGU) 150 BHP I have recently fitted a dump valve to my car and it has developed a running problem between 2-3000 RPM so i removed the valve and after one night it startd to run better again, so i refitted the dump valve to see if it was the valve at fault, ok for one day but then started to run badly again, anybody got an idea how i can sort this problem as i do really want to keep the new dump valve on!!
it also dumps while cruising at 60 mph ish, (Constant dumping)
Will a dump valve work correctly with my car as i have not seen a normal turbo with one fitted?
Any help ould be much appriciated!!!
Thanks
andrew

I think a Dump valve (atmospheric DV) is not suitable for the 1.8T engine. A Diverter Valve is fitted as standard and can be replaced/uprated with an aftermarket one but I think the general consensus to Atmospheric DV's are they don't work.

cheers
Rich.

thats what i was hoping i wasnt going to hear, i have never seen or heard a atmospheric dump valve fitted to an A3Turbo But i have brought a universal one already
Damn!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
thats what i was hoping i wasnt going to hear, i have never seen or heard a atmospheric dump valve fitted to an A3Turbo But i have brought a universal one already
Damn!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly the atmospheric dump valve that you've fitted is throwing the MAF out, which then when removed the ECU relearns and adjusts accordingly to bring her back to normal.

You can use certain atmospheric DV's which allow a majority of the boosted air back into the system and only vent a small amount air to get the noise. These type do nothing for performance as you are venting already boosted air, so you loose a small amount of speed between shifts.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
I thought you said you were an Audi Technician in the other post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a shock, if you deal with OEM all of the time then it's not likely you'll know the effect of fitting something aftermarket.....I know this from working in forklift manufacturing and trying to second guess how an aftermarket item will work on one of our machines is not easy, and sometimes only testing is the only way.

for [censored] sake, im getting [censored] now.

Atmospheric dump valves do work on 1.8 turbo engines
I have proved this as have many others. Mate, you need to move the DV over to the intercooler pipe, it sounds like the DV itself is faulty. Get a Bailey kit from Bailey motorsport, the kit comes with everything you need to move the dump valve over onto the intercooler pipe. You cut the ic pipe in 2, put the metal tbar in between and connect the DV. I had the bailey one, no fault codes, no problems, was perfect. Unfortunately, i had a failure with my dv itself, so i decided id had enough of the noise and went back to recirc. Honest mate, phone bailey motorsport, they are as good as gold and very very helpful.

Everyone else, do me a favour, stop saying they dont work on A3 1.8 Turbo's, cause they do. They are not the best for performance, no question there but they do work.

sorry for the rant, im sick of being told im a liar.

S3 MIKE, i am an audi tech but its an after market thing, i know the workings of the parts but i need to get a place that specifically focuses on performance tuning, at a resonable price, there are somany different parts on the market that it is impossible to know have they all work and under what pressures, and repairing and diagnosing cars on every day work is much different as i have never had a car in with the fault that i had. any way i have heard that fitting an atmospheric valve to the intercooler is possible but how do you control its dumping do you have to use a t piece on the vacuum pie that controlls the recirc valve?

In the kit you get a long vacuum pipe that you put in place of the standard one, and run it to the dump valve on the intercooler pipe. Honest mate, if your an audi tech, you know what yer talkin about when it comes to engines, ring bailey motorsport.

cant say i like DV re-locations and atmosperic DV'S just sound pants IMHO sorry.

I laugh when ever i hear a woosh tisch.

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
cant say i like DV re-locations and atmosperic DV'S just sound pants IMHO sorry.

I laugh when ever i hear a woosh tisch.

[/ QUOTE ]

pointless comment, really helps him eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
excellent all you had to say was cossie style, they se similar ideas. thanks very much

[/ QUOTE ]

No problems mate. If its any use to you, my mate has a DV same colour as the one in the pic for sale, 30 quid. If your interested let me know and ill get hold of him for you. He offered it to me when mine failed but id already bought and fitted the recirc. All you would need to do is buy the fitting kit from bailey.

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
No problems mate. If its any use to you, my mate has a DV same colour as the one in the pic for sale, 30 quid. If your interested let me know and ill get hold of him for you. He offered it to me when mine failed but id already bought and fitted the recirc. All you would need to do is buy the fitting kit from bailey.

[/ QUOTE ]

But why go to all that trouble when a gfb one that fits in the same location does the job, and does not dump all of that very useful boosted pressure.

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:

I have proved this as have many others. Mate, you need to move the DV over to the intercooler pipe, it sounds like the DV itself is faulty. Get a Bailey kit from Bailey motorsport, the kit comes with everything you need to move the dump valve over onto the intercooler pipe. You cut the ic pipe in 2, put the metal tbar in between and connect the DV. I had the bailey one, no fault codes, no problems, was perfect. Unfortunately, i had a failure with my dv itself, so i decided id had enough of the noise and went back to recirc. Honest mate, phone bailey motorsport, they are as good as gold and very very helpful.

Everyone else, do me a favour, stop saying they dont work on A3 1.8 Turbo's, cause they do. They are not the best for performance, no question there but they do work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fella....nobody called you a liar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry my post does seem to go against what you've stated, but was not the itention, another case of brain not in use whilst fingers are moving. I should of put that the fault was not the fact it was atmospheric but that it sounded like it's leaking, which the MAF would pick up on.....and there is no reason that I can see why an atmospheric DV shouldn't work without causing problems with the ECU, but do expect a loss in performance, which is why I stated the other type which only vent a small amount, but still acheive the noise.

Will try to type what I'm thinking next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Were your 1/4's run with the atmospheric DV fitted?

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
You can use certain atmospheric DV's which allow a majority of the boosted air back into the system and only vent a small amount air to get the noise. These type do nothing for performance as you are venting already boosted air, so you loose a small amount of speed between shifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know which ones you can use?

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fella....nobody called you a liar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry my post does seem to go against what you've stated, but was not the itention, another case of brain not in use whilst fingers are moving. I should of put that the fault was not the fact it was atmospheric but that it sounded like it's leaking, which the MAF would pick up on.....and there is no reason that I can see why an atmospheric DV shouldn't work without causing problems with the ECU, but do expect a loss in performance, which is why I stated the other type which only vent a small amount, but still acheive the noise.

Will try to type what I'm thinking next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Were your 1/4's run with the atmospheric DV fitted?

[/ QUOTE ]

they were all run with the atmospheric dv, but all in limp mode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Something to do with a dosconnected hall sensor. I dont see why we cant do very well on the next 1/4 mile, had a play with an S3 the other day and actually pulled away from it. The look on the drivers face was a picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The poor IS200 couldnt keep up with either of us though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can use them all, as proven by Stu and many of our American friends, but they will harm your performance, so I'd suggest going for the ones which vent only a small amount and recirculate the rest. I think the GFB Stealth has this feature and is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can use them all, as proven by Stu and many of our American friends, but they will harm your performance, so I'd suggest going for the ones which vent only a small amount and recirculate the rest. I think the GFB Stealth has this feature and is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly right.

I shall explain in full now :

I am in no doubt, atmospheric DV's do not perform as well as recirc ones. I have personally tried 2 dump valves.

First :

Turbo XS.
This valve fits in the same place as the standard bosch recirculating valve, using the same pipework. I had major problems with this valve though, it caused mega backfiring, the valve would not dump to atmosphere below 4-4.5k rpm. Now, the turbo starts producing boost at about 1750rpm (i think) so you can imagine that this valve was not suitable at all for the car. When taking it round past 5k rpm, it produced a nice sound and no problems at all. However, due to the constant backfiring and having to rag the car to get it to work properly, i decided i needed a change.

DV no. 2 Bailey

I called bailey motorsport and explained my current problem with the Turbo XS valve. I asked whether they had managed to sort the problems they had come across in their development of the DV for the VAG turbo engines. He explained that they had developed a kit that moved the dump valve over to the cold side (intercooler pipe) and it worked perfectly. No matter what they did, they discovered the DV just would not work properly in its standard position. So, i went ahead and ordered it, had it fitted and was majorly impressed with both the sound it produced and they way it performed. Unfortunately, i suffered a failure of this valve, it seems it went weak and while the car was under boost, it was leaking a little and my boost was tailing off. I decided it was time for a change and went back to recirculating, buying a replacement ABD Intercooler pipe to change the one i butchered for the bailey fitting kit. I experienced no fault codes, or problems with the valve other than the failure. I now have the option to go back to it due to my friend giving me an identical fairly new bailey atmospheric DV.

so, not all DV's work, im just hoping my experience will benefit future users/current users who are interested in atmospheric dump valves. Bailey are a big name when it comes to DV's and their help over the phone and speedy delivery was second to none. I hope this stupidly long essay is of use to people on here and im always available for any questions people may have.

Stuart.

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Nearly right.

[/ QUOTE ]

But they all still work, just not as well as you'd want... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
thanks very much that is exactually what i wanted to know!!

[/ QUOTE ]

More than welcome, hope you get it sorted, let us know!