Finally Fitted The SFS Tip & Catch Tank.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So finally got round to fitting the SFS tip and oil catch tank today (For thoses who dont know my s3 doesnt have esp) and OMG its like a new car, just took the car out on a little test run and didnt really open it up due to weather etc but the turbo was starting to kick in at just over 2000rpm in fourth :w00t:, on the last little stretch of road to my house i opened it up in second and the car pulled all the way to the redline, normaly it dies at around 5800rpm but its not surprising when you compare the SFS and OEM tips, ill try and get some pics up in abit but there worlds apart.
The car is just transformed.
All in all in took about 4 hours with dinner and cupa breaks in there too. Was a real fiddly job, the hardest part was fitting the oil catch tank but that was mainly down to how i wanted to fitted wouldnt work due to a tw**ing 5mm allen bolt that i couldnt get to, but its all in place and looks very nice. The only problem is now how am i going to fit my DV relocation kit, there's no room on the right side of the engine bay now haha.

It will make next to no difference on a newer S3 (2001 on i believe) as they had reinforced intakes. The older ones used to collapse under vacuum from the turbo.

Not true rich, mines got 3 steel rings reinforceing to stop it collapsing. I need to get some pics up to show you.
The major difference is how much shorter and more direct to the turbo the SFS Tip is, the oem tip is quite flat an s shaped around the turbo so quite restrictive.

Last edited:
I think thats where the benefit is coming from. I'm keen to add one of these too but £100 seems alot for just a pipe!

Most people seem to give good reports on these

Glad you're happy with it Dani :sign_pics: please!!!

Quick question, why would the turbo kick in earlier now though - I thought it was always 2.5k rpm?

I've been thinking about an oil catch tank as well recently - well, since you answered my question about oil being in the TB!!! What did you go for - off the shelf, or a "home-made" jobbie - would also love to see how you've connected it in as there seems to be a fair bit of debate on other forums as to the best way.

4 hrs all in :applaus: well done sir!!

[edit] oh yeah, don't forget to update your sig!! ;)

Last edited:
What is a sfs tip ? is it the inlet pipe into the turbo?

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

You sound like your TIPS done more than mine has. Sure it seems to pick up a bit better but not a great deal (every bit helps when your running a tiny turbo though!).

The main thing I found was that the sound of the DV is more high pitched than it was. On the stock TIP it sounded like more of a 'cough', now its more of a "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSTT" noise.

Still, glad I fitted mine though, the stock one is about half the size of the Forge item towards the bottom end of it.

T

a SFS Tip is just the company that makes it.
Prawn i was just telling people my experience that is all, im not trying to sell you lot a sfs tip or owt like that.
Adidas boy its a off the shelf catch tank, toyosport off ebay.
What is it about AS.NET lately, if anyone posts anything different or owt they get shot down, its getting beyond a joke guys, different cars can see different gains, benefits etc.

Last edited:
What is it about AS.NET lately, if anyone posts anything different or owt they get shot down, its getting beyond a joke guys, different cars can see different gains, benefits etc.

It's the weather mate, along with the sad state of affairs in this country with the recession and stuff... all quite depressing really.
:blackrs4: But you still have your car! :blackrs4:

Haha wish that was true jo but if i cant get anew job soon the s3 will have tobe sold, that will be a very sad day :-(

Dani, sounds good, get some pics up. Also whats the difference supposed to be with the DV relocation? Thinking about it for mine as i want to re pipe my FMIC anyway so no diff in buying a T over a straight pipe

Dani, I don't think anyone's shooting you down (I hope you don't think I was!! ) I think people are just simply interested in what you've done and your results as they may be thinking of doing something similar or, if they've already done it, how that compares with their own experiences. :icon_thumright:

I'm all for people trying to be different - it would be a boring world otherwise!!

still waiting for :sign_pics:!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark, the DV relocation basically moves the valve to a cooler part of the engine - so that the re-circulated air is in turn cooler when it re-enters the system.

Right boys, heres some pics of the parts i bought and the SFS and OEM Tip's, enjoy.

Here you can see how flat the OEM Tip is:

Hey Dani, how did you go about extending the boost valve? the wire isn't long enough to reach the otherside of the Silicon TIP.

Hi jo, Tbh that was the easiest part of the whole day, i bought a 7mm(could be 9mm but ill check) 90' elbow and some 7mm (again could be 9mm) silicone tube and placed the 90' in the tip and just left the n75 valve where it was and just connected the silicone tube to the n75 valve, simples, ill try and get a guide up if people want but if i do it wont be till mondayish.

i wounder why the non esp models used such a different style tip, i also have a apy engine but with esp so the standard uprated tip goes straight on, and as your able to modify the tip to fityour car its not as if there wasnt room to use the same style tip??? seems strange does that,
my tip definantly made it feel like the turbo was breathing better and thus boosting quicker

any way top job :thumbsup:

i wounder why the non esp models used such a different style tip, i also have a apy engine but with esp so the standard uprated tip goes straight on, and as your able to modify the tip to fityour car its not as if there wasnt room to use the same style tip??? seems strange does that,
my tip definantly made it feel like the turbo was breathing better and thus boosting quicker

any way top job :thumbsup:

I find it bizzare tbh why the tips are so different, its not like the esp models have more hoses than the non esp ones so cant understand why, the only real difference is the layout of the hoses.
Just need to get someone to VAGCOM my car now as i think the maf's on its way out and a coilpack along with it :faint:

Hi jo, Tbh that was the easiest part of the whole day, i bought a 7mm(could be 9mm but ill check) 90' elbow and some 7mm (again could be 9mm) silicone tube and placed the 90' in the tip and just left the n75 valve where it was and just connected the silicone tube to the n75 valve, simples, ill try and get a guide up if people want but if i do it wont be till mondayish.

That's cool, I was just going to use some extended silicon tubing also, never though about using elbows to go over.

Well mine has four hoses, pcv valve, dv valve, n75 valve and another valve close down to the turbo.
How many valves do you have jojo or anyone else that doesnt have esp? I seem to have read that i may have esp but i just cant switch it on or off but how true that is i dont know.

Well mine has four hoses, pcv valve, dv valve, n75 valve and another valve close down to the turbo.
How many valves do you have jojo or anyone else that doesnt have esp? I seem to have read that i may have esp but i just cant switch it on or off but how true that is i dont know.

Mine is the same as yours mate.

Well in that case i think all S3's have esp but the early ones that dont have the button just cant turn it off.
What you guys reckon?

Early S3's dont have ESP they have an earlier version of traction control, possibly called tcs but cant rember its name for sure. These earlier cars are given away by not having an ESP button on the dash.

Yeah mines one of them steve, the thing is ive seen the exact same age cars as mine with esp so surely ive got all the neccesary equipment fitted but just not the butt6n.

To catch excess oil that is dumped back into the Tip and then sent round your boost pipes IC etc.

No ESP on my car Dani, 100% sure of that, maybe ESP equipped cars have something down that side of the wing, requiring the TIP to be shorter?

dani where did you get the sfs pipe from, is it the same costing as the forge one?

dani where did you get the sfs pipe from, is it the same costing as the forge one?

Ebay mate but had a lot of f***ing about with the guy i bought it off, your best of going directly to sfs, the customer service is spot on. eah it's about the same price as forge, if you ask nce they may give yuo a little discount :)

Dani, sounds good, get some pics up. Also whats the difference supposed to be with the DV relocation? Thinking about it for mine as i want to re pipe my FMIC anyway so no diff in buying a T over a straight pipe

On the A3/S3 the DV is right above the exhaust manifold. it gets very hot, and it means the air being recirculated is pretty warm, and also, the grease in the DV eventually bakes, and this leads to the piston sticking .etc. On the A4 its not as much of a problem as although its near the turbo/manifold, its in front of it and in some airflow anyway so probably doesnt suffer from the same problems

Yup thats the place, best off phoneing though.

PICS OF HOW YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the engine bay as it is now...

Pete..:thrashi:

No mate he's wanting pics of mine because he's got a APY s3 like mine so wants a TIP as they dont a off the self one and the fitting of the s3 and a3 are quite different too.

Well get some fecking pics up and put the poor guy out of his misery then!! ;)